Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Meta-gaming beyond the character's supposed knowledge, eh?

Risky move, but I'll allow it. :M

lightbane

Arcane
Thinking about it, I believe I'll switch my vote to A>D. We won't half-ass things and more importantly, Faria is probably expecting us to write a false name because he knows that we know that doing otherwise would be stupid, so we'll catch him off-guard by writing our true name. Failing that, perhaps this way we'll be able to get a bad end and reload a previous save, allowing us to get a rematch with Bee.

ScubaV

Prophet
“Why did you not attempt the climb yourself, since you know of it? Since you have the ability to cast magic beyond the tower’s restrictions, surely you are able to whip up a spell to convey you to the upper floors easily in all the time you were here.”

He laughs derisively. “What nonsense! Whip up a spell? You say it so lightly, winged one! As if it is easy to create a new magic with the snap of a finger! Even if I could, I am a frail old man as you can clearly see. Magic alone will not avail me against the tower’s defenses. Now, on to more pressing matters. I said you would need your full strength, and I will help you regain it.”

I think this is some key information. The old man has had nothing but time to whip up new spells. Erd seems to have no difficulty with making new spells, even if it does take a few days or weeks. Is the old man unskilled at spell creation or is there something else going on? Perhaps we could get ourselves out of the blood contract spell he's generated with a new spell of our own. Of course, I'm sure it would incur an opportunity cost of not being able to do something else we'd want to do.

Fuck it, A. You guys fucked up by choosing the middle road before, might as well deal with the consequences.

Tigranes

Arcane
B voters - what do you hope to achieve? Do you think we will be able to trick this clearly powerful man in a contract of his own choosing in such a way that we will get all the powers and not be liable to any of the consequences? It might have some kind of effect, perhaps it won't be quite so catastrophic and he will laugh it off, but I can't imagine it going ideally.

Baltika9

Arcane
Absolutely not, this is very obviously a trap. I don't think it matters what name we sign there, what he needs is the blood to control a fully capable angel. This is obviously a set up.

The only reason I'm voting for B Dantes is for the Count of Monte Cristo reference.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
C - I'm not in a hurry to leave here. Not with these choices anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
All jokes aside, signing is a terrible idea and we shouldn't do it. Just stick it out here and have a look, we might find something that will give us a clue.
And we have Rin up top still, she'll definitely start looking soon. I don't understand what is making everyone feel pressured to get in a creepy old man's ice cream truck sign 'Faria's' contract after following him down a dark sewer.
Flipping to C.

Kayerts

Arcane
I'm happy to join the push to play Erd as a strong, independent angel who don't need no old man. C > B

Esquilax

Arcane
This is bad. Who is this old man? Just who is it we are helping to escape anyway? And how does he know about us, these "old gods" or speak our language? We really should have brought Rin, but I wasn't here to vote, so lemmingdex boned themselves again.

The flipside of that is, if we had Rin with us, would Faria have felt secure enough in his position and confident of the leverage that he had over us to simply give us the layout of the entire prison?

He cackles and claps his hands. “Excellent, excellent. Exactly what I would expect from a wonderful specimen of angelhood such as yourself. Now, search your thoughts. You will find a gift of goodwill there.”

Tentatively, you open your eyes. Now the scratches on the wall are just that, scratches, and nothing more, no matter how you crane your head and roll your eyes. But within your head, you have an impression of how they should look. It is a full plan of the tower. Doing as Faria asks, you quickly identify what he is talking about.

A secret passageway to the very top of the tower, the mysterious peak no one has ever succeeded in scaling. It is labeled as a ‘maintenance chute’, whatever that is. You can gain access to it from the outside of the tower, at a particular spot that no one would have thought to look.

I don't think so. This isn't the sort of person who has survived and gleaned information from a place like this by being reckless. He would have held his cards closer to his chest if we went and displayed that much suspicion. And speaking of Rin, she's our only hope. She knows that we are off with Faria, and if there's one thing that we can count on, it's her dogged persistence:

“Erdrick! There you are! Hah, did you think you could get away from me? We swore an oath and you aren’t getting out of it that easily.

We're going to wander aimlessly in this place, and right while we're sure that all hope is lost and we'll be stuck forever in this maintenance chute, Rin will pop up out of nowhere to berate us for taking so long. And we do need her, because we don't have the prowess to handle the challenges ahead of us as restricted as we are. But with Erdrick's wits and Rin's brawn, we have a (slim) chance at it. So that's my plan: try to figure things out as best we can here, try not to die, pray that Rin finds us before we die, and then try and tackle the arduous road ahead together.

C

Esquilax

Arcane
Let it be known that Baltika9 was responsible for the mass cascade of flopping, and that any terrible fate that awaits us rest solely on his shoulders. However, should we somehow end up succeeding against all adds, I will (humbly) take the credit.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So Lemmingdex is going to attack the ancient and mysterious wizard who is powerful enough to semi-mind-control the entire prison? We just piggybacked off his work. He came up with the original spell all on his own.

The guy is clearly more than he seems and if he has survived here this long, he is nothing to be trifled with.

But even if we could kill him, this guy seems to know more about what's really going on with this universe than anyone we've met so far and you just want to throttle him and look through his stuff?

Flopping to B>A to stave off your madness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So Lemmingdex is going to attack the ancient and mysterious wizard who is powerful enough to semi-mind-control the entire prison?
Methinks thou art being too much of a drama queen and confusing C and D in the process. :M

Haven't been around for a while, so can't offer an informed opinion, but I am rooting for C voters a little. Brings back memories of a certain fun city...

Kz3r0 C
lightbane A>D
Karwelas B
Grimgravy C>B
Kipeci A>C
Tigranes A>!D
Jester A
Lambchop19 B>A
Kayerts C>B
Baltika9 C
Storyfag A
ScubaV A
TOME C
Azira C>D
Esquilax C

A - 6 (7)
B - 2 (1)
C - 7

wjw

Augur
A > Screwed on the long run. Demon pacts, Hell wars, ... we get to play some Solium Infernum, with a serious disadvantage.
B > He'll realize. But he probably just needs the blood. Not the name. So B is like A, but it makes us look even more stupid.
C > It will be painful, if we try the chute option. Faria probably wont take no for answer and do something horrible to us. Or we go up the chute, be succesfull, return to Grafhere without any powers. Major setback.
D > He will win. We are in his room. He probably has some backup thingy. But what's he gonna do? Probably cut off our wings, attaching them to his body. Sounds horrible and permanent.

I'll go for C.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Methinks thou art being too much of a drama queen and confusing C and D in the process.
yep, I hadn't had any sleep.

still, I think lemmingdex is about to get forced to sign their name. I mean, it's not like this guy is a mind control expert and we are in his domain or anything. :M

B > He'll realize. But he probably just needs the blood. Not the name. So B is like A, but it makes us look even more stupid.
I really doubt this. While I think he probably does just need the blood, I think knowing our name is another component that might give him power over us. Why else would he be afraid to give his own name, unless he knew of some way a name could be used against someone? Plus, treave is not one to give us two choices that basically do the same thing.

lightbane

Arcane
So many flip-floppers. You know that C will result in an unpleasant fate at best, or having to depend on Rin for pretty much everything at worst, right?

wjw

Augur
I really doubt this. While I think he probably does just need the blood, I think knowing our name is another component that might give him power over us. Why else would he be afraid to give his own name, unless he knew of some way a name could be used against someone?

It's a trap. The name thing is bait. Treave Faria is playing us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom