Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Mount & Blade to buy?

Multi-headed Cow

Native Expansion did that. After a certain amount of time a completely ridiculous Black Knight faction would appear and go to war with everyone. I believe that mod's ported over to Warband by now, used to be the only way I played non-Warband Mount and Blade.

zeitgeist

Magister
Has anyone tried the cRPG mod for Warband? It's supposed to be some persistent world thing, which sounds as a rather appealing concept on paper at least. Does it have many players? Installing right now to check it out.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Has anyone tried the cRPG mod for Warband? It's supposed to be some persistent world thing, which sounds as a rather appealing concept on paper at least. Does it have many players? Installing right now to check it out.
It has lots of players. It's basically a persistent version of Warband Multiplayer. So you obviously need to enjoy the latter, to enjoy the former.

Multi-headed Cow

Haven't played it myself but I had a buddy who played it a lot. He certainly seemed to like it. Ready yourself to get slaughtered over and over while you're a peasant with no real gear/skills against players who have been playing a while though.

titus

Arcane
Patron
cRPG rules. Only one chance for noobs though: get a shield and a shitty weapon and protect your teammates from arrows. Or try to harass enemies while they are busy with your team members. Until you level up and get some nice gear, you are mincemeat. Whatever you do, try not to get killed too often, you get more experience that way.

zeitgeist

Magister
Apparently I have this serial problem now, any ideas, apart from what's been suggested in the thread? I tried the cache validating solution, but it didn't work and I still can't connect to a cRPG server. Which is interesting because I played normal Warband multiplayer just fine yesterday and it didn't even ask me for a serial anywhere.

zeitgeist

Magister
Just out of interest, are you running it through the installer? Because you need to.
Yes. And it's not a firewall issue either or anything like that. It seems to be cRPG-related as I've just tried regular multiplayer and NW multiplayer and they all still work.

edit: looks like it's a very recent issue, just found this, so I guess a solution will be found at some point.

Harpsichord

Arcane
Sorry, I felt M&B singleplayer was braindead stupid on account of the computer playing by dramatically different rules than you did. Not to mention that on account of the AI and absolutely broken quest design, infantry combat isn't really a part of the singleplayer experience at all.

Once Warband had multiplayer(what the game needed from the start, especially considering the singleplayer game is a design demo as much as anything else) I never looked back at that garbage heap of a mode.

Also, could you refer me to where you got the microtransaction info from? A quick googling of 'war of the roses microtransactions' doesn't pull up anything. Nor does item mall. Actually, that's a lie, you are the top comment in a steam thread saying this without providing a source.

Also not sure what makes it qualitatively all that inferior to M&B from a raw mechanics standpoint.

Additionally unsure as to why Codexers seem to think that masturbation is superior to sex, and feel that broken half-finished singleplayer modes that provide no challenge or novelty are superior to multiplayer games that involve emergent gameplay and constantly variable difficulty. Not so much a personal jab, just that I don't get why 'multiplayer' is some sort of a nasty word around here, as if though it's synonymous with dumbing down.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Masturbation is superior to sex. :smug:

M&B's bread and butter is the single player mode. It's not so much the battles, but the character development. The game has a difficult starting game and a decent, if elongated, mid game - but indeed the end game sucks. This is for various reasons including, as you pointed out, that the AI plays by different rules to you. Siege battles are a bit of a clusterfuck to work as a good multiplayer experience.

Have you given Napoleonic Wars a try at all? It's pretty good. It's pretty different too. I fear that War of Roses will be more about twitch combat than tactics. I am however looking forward to it.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I enjoy Napoleonic Wars a bit more in singleplayer than vanilla M&B/WB...

...but I still enjoy it more in multiplayer. Especially when you play battle mode with like 150 people involved. There's also some really awesome battles that take place in the captain mode.

There are three ways to play M&B singleplayer that I've noticed, regardless of iteration(excluding Napoleonic Wars):

1) Use a lance on horseback, knock out one guy at a time by couching it. Get more powerful so you can couch the lance more rapidly and instakill people quicker!

2) Use a sword/axe/bardiche/etc on horseback, ride by guys and swing at them, usually knock them out in one hit, but just circle around and make another pass if that doesn't work.

3) Use a bow on horseback, have a hard time hitting stuff at first, but eventually it turns into a laser of death and you rack up headshots like no tomorrow.

There's pretty much not going to be any danger unless you are facing a 15:1 ratio of ranged units vs you. In the early game maybe it takes a few less, in the later game it might take a few more.

Well, maybe there's another option...
4) Use anything on foot and get quickly overwhelmed and surrounded by fearless enemies who don't back up or move about to avoid your blows at all. A big blob of waggling fools eventually encompass you and beat you to death with random flailing, taking any advantage of the parry system is absolutely senseless, carry extra shields and get to live a bit longer as you back up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also, could you refer me to where you got the microtransaction info from? A quick googling of 'war of the roses microtransactions' doesn't pull up anything. Nor does item mall. Actually, that's a lie, you are the top comment in a steam thread saying this without providing a source.

It's pretty much a given on all recent Paradox titles and it's supported by the fact that the collector's edition comes with a bunch of junk.

...just that I don't get why 'multiplayer' is some sort of a nasty word around here, as if though it's synonymous with dumbing down.

No one said multiplayer = bad. I'm saying this game is bad. Period. No reason to buy it, just keep playing M&B multiplayer.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got second War of the Roses beta invitation, is anyone interested? It's Steam only.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Amazing and you can usually get it for $5 or less during Steam sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom