Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell don't games come on physical media anymore?!?

DramaticPopcorn

Uh, no self published game will ever get a physical release, that shit is obvious to anyone with half a brain. Major releases get physical box, as it always happened. The only difference from early times is the sheer amount of games available and lack of "shareware" distrubution via magazines
Larian's games had physical releases, so did Eugen Systems', as did stuff like Contrast, Gery Goo, Lords of the Fallen, Van Helsing. Even Eador, FFS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if you're actually in the minority as far as PC users go. From what I've gathered blu-ray never caught on with PCs because digital trumped it.

Here's something from 2014

http://techreport.com/news/27055/the-tr-hardware-survey-2014-what-inside-your-main-desktop-pc

Do you have an optical drive?
  • Yes (DVD) (2310 votes)
    blank.gif
    54%
  • Yes (Blu-ray) (1231 votes)
    blank.gif
    29%
  • No (737 votes)
    blank.gif
    17%

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You should get a console if you want boxed games.
Unlike PC games, console games were never boxed in the first place. I don't know what you all are smoking but console games have always just come in a plastic cover.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Unlike PC games, console games were never boxed in the first place. I don't know what you all are smoking but console games have always just come in a plastic cover.
No they didn't. Plenty of cartridge based systems used cardboard packaging.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
No they didn't. Plenty of cartridge based systems used cardboard packaging.
Obviously referring to discs here, try and keep up.

Also, which consoles uses cartridges TODAY?

He said if you want boxed games stick to consoles which is a ridiculous thing to say.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I wonder if you're actually in the minority as far as PC users go. From what I've gathered blu-ray never caught on with PCs because digital trumped it.

Here's something from 2014

http://techreport.com/news/27055/the-tr-hardware-survey-2014-what-inside-your-main-desktop-pc

Do you have an optical drive?
  • Yes (DVD) (2310 votes)
    blank.gif
    54%
  • Yes (Blu-ray) (1231 votes)
    blank.gif
    29%
  • No (737 votes)
    blank.gif
    17%
Pre-built sellers tend to bundle it with blu-ray player to increase price.

I still buy a healthy (?) mix of both. In fact I'm soon going to buy a boxed PC version of Dragon's Dogma that I saw in a nearby store...I could probably get it online but in Brazil there's the added thrill of managing to make my way home with the box.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Logistically physical media is too dated, the savings a company get form a digital download is well worth any loss in sales caused by a someone who objects to them. No longer every single tod from the supply chain to the disc and case manufacture have to get their cut in your profits. all you have to do is pay a online distributor for distribution voila! your game is live.

Saves the consumer money to as they don't have to waste excess time and money obtaining a physical copy and games are no longer affected by shortages or surpluses. Its bad for developing markets with slow internet speeds but they already made a lower portion of the market base and plus they will eventually catch up in terms of speed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pre-built sellers tend to bundle it with blu-ray player to increase price.

I hope most of them are fellow "want to watch blu ray movies but are unwilling to buy a television and speaker set-up suited for it" people.

Siveon

Bot
I like buying special editions because I'm a shill (and I use consoles/handhelds) so I never really felt like physical media went away. It just became more of a collector's thing.

I would like to have more of my favorite games in a physical DRM-free format with token "feelies" though. Like a Shadowrun collection. Or maybe Underrail. Fat chance though.

Siobhan

Arbiter
I see Indiebox hasn't been mentioned yet. Their game selection might not fit your tastes, but then you should whine to them rather than us.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
There's zilch for me here. Not at fry's, best buy or comp usa (which I think is closed now anyway). It's the end.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
When you grow up, start being a good husband and father, all these boxes taking space in a small apartment are a fucking embarassment and a permanent reminder of how a terrible husband and father you actually are.

Then you divorce and your wife gets all your expensive boxes and sell them on ebay.

Then you become a drunk, lose your job, and die from cancer.

This is the real reason nobody buys game boxes anymore.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you grow up, start being a good husband and father, all these boxes taking space in a small apartment are a fucking embarassment and a permanent reminder of how a terrible husband and father you actually are.

Then you divorce and your wife gets all your expensive boxes and sell them on ebay.

Then you become a drunk, lose your job, and die from cancer.

This is the real reason nobody buys game boxes anymore.

:lol:

... or you find a good looking wife who really loves you for who you are, actually own your own large house and raise a daughter who does well in school so they get scholarships to college then you won't have to worry and can collect to your heart's content and live happily ever after (well at least 19 years so far). :smug:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
My computer doesn't have an optical drive (built 2015) I do however still get those big-box kickstarter collectors editions because they're always kinda cool.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every time I build a new computer I always put in an optical drive for loading any of my collection that comes on CD. I would still include a floppy drive (both 3.5 and 1.44) if modern motherboards would support them. I end up downloading those games and either burning it to a CD or thumb drive and put them in the box (another reason to like the convenience of GOG).

Last edited:

Mustawd

You know, companies should just publish box and cd label printing templates so people can basically make their own at Kinko's or whatever.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People will look up to you if you have a house full of old books. Don't expect to find a girlfriend with an original copy of Ultima IV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom