Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

v1rus

Arcane
Is there any reason to get back into GW2? I kinda feel the self-destructive need to play an MMO. I stopped around the time that Sylvari chick got her own livign story update, some gigantic shit robots an' stuff. Had done most of the content by then, the whole "shopping list" model makes my OCD nuts.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Is there any reason to get back into GW2?
Not really, no. Some of my friends just started playing and I checked out if the expansion is worth it - surprise surprise, a lot of content has been cancelled/postponed and they're already working on the second expansion.

v1rus

Arcane
Not really, no. Some of my friends just started playing and I checked out if the expansion is worth it - surprise surprise, a lot of content has been cancelled/postponed and they're already working on the second expansion.

Bwah. Any worthwhile MMORPGs out there then? I'm pretty much looking for the classical WoW shtick.

Erzherzog

Magister

Bwah. Any worthwhile MMORPGs out there then? I'm pretty much looking for the classical WoW shtick.

I mean at this point waiting for the next WoW expansion is your best bet. It's bleak out there.

being a scientific and analitical mind, i thought "maybe my beta impression could have been wrong, maybe i judged it too quickly", so i downloaded guild wars 2 again.
i've been playing for a couple of days now and i spent them always asking to myself "why am i even doing this?". this game makes no sense, i don't understand why i should be supposed to play this instead of random_korean_shit_#3498.
no character progression, railroaded builds, on level 31 i already have my build full and complete with no reason to grind 50 more levels without changing anything nor seeing anything new, no synergy between skills, the combat is the same "stand still and wait for the enemy to die" already seen everywhere else, crafting is standard with very little (or maybe none at all) interaction between professions, the world is sort of open but it's everything the same with different names and background and also always leveled to the player (loot too), i know nothing of the plot because i just can't stand watching those stiff puppets taking half an hour between phrases and i'm mostly sure i'm not missing much.

i just can't see a single redeeming quality for this game to exist, it could vanish tomorrow and the world wouldn't be missing anything.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
have you tried WvW? WvW is the only thing gw2 has going for it that separates it from the rest on a meaningful level.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
After more than three years, I'm thinking about giving GW2 another go. A few things I'm wondering: did they ever make Ranger or Necromancer worth playing? Is the new class as boring as it looks? Is the expansion worthwhile, even if I'm not planning to play the Reverent? Are there any Codexers still playing?

whatevername

Arcane
After more than three years, I'm thinking about giving GW2 another go. A few things I'm wondering: did they ever make Ranger or Necromancer worth playing? Is the new class as boring as it looks? Is the expansion worthwhile, even if I'm not planning to play the Reverent? Are there any Codexers still playing?
Ranger is the best class, you can have 4-5 cleanses and totally counter condition builds, shoot people from/on the wall/from atop a cliff with 1500 longbow range, your cat can tank camp and shrine guards and you can switch pets every 15 sec in combat to fully heal them. There are morons that go for your pet too.
The game is Fallout 4 though, so you should play GW1 instead.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
GW1 wasn't actually that empty a year or two ago, before GW2. No idea how it is now but I just fell out of MMOs altogether so I haven't checked. Not like they didn't royally fuck up GW in it's last moments too with stupid rebalances to remove the usefulness of builds like 55 monks and awful content that ended on a fucking cliffhanger so they could do GW2 stuff.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
GW2 is probably the biggest case ever of the player community of an online game having one vision for how a game should be and the devs having another so abysmally different it's almost like they want to develop the game into a whole different genre.

Not quite accurate. The problem is that too many people were devoted to the dev's vision and they just shouted down anyone else who had good ideas for the game. Have you ever tried posting constructive criticism on the GW2 reddit? Downvote central because Anet knows best and fuck you for thinking otherwise. Their official forums are not much better. Self-admitted retired no-life fuckers like Vayne literally spending their entire day telling people why they are wrong and GW2 is perfect.

At some point the GW2 fanbase even believed that the game should never get expansions and shat on anyone who said how desperately the game needed it. Kept claiming the Living Story was good enough. And then they had to launch Megaserver merging because on most servers the middle-tier maps were completely devoid of life because the content could not keep anyone's attention once they got through a map once.

Even pre-release it was pretty bad. "What do you mean you don't think it's a great idea to remove 80% of the GW1 mechanics and dumb down the rest, don't you think Anet knows what they are doing? They made GW1 after all! It's going to be great, you can jump now and have an open world!"

This was on guildwarsguru before Reddit and the official GW forums were even a thing, I can't imagine the hugbox the community became after migrating to literal hugbox sites.

Angthoron

Arcane
The problem is that too many people were devoted to the dev's vision and they just shouted down anyone else who had good ideas for the game. Have you ever tried posting constructive criticism on the GW2 reddit? Downvote central because Anet knows best and fuck you for thinking otherwise. Their official forums are not much better. Self-admitted retired no-life fuckers like Vayne literally spending their entire day telling people why they are wrong and GW2 is perfect.
This type of people tends to ruin mid-tier MMOs pretty badly. I remember the same type of a vocal minority basically crippling LotRO after the first expac came out - "There are no fundamental flaws", "All systems work", "DPS classes need nerfs because they have too much surv/DPS/heal/aggro, no, there's totally not a problem with aggro generation tables or healing scale, oh yeah and the healer nerf is also totally justified", "Legendary Items work fine, guys!" and "Fuck off to WoW, whiners" being chief arguments.

Of course the dev team thought that following such vocal minority was better than, well, fixing all the fucking problems, and once, shockingly, the problems all revealed themselves, the vocal minority left along with the "whiners".

Last edited:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So decided to give this a try since I've got nothing else to play. Rolled with a ranger and so far it's surprisingly... fun.
:dead:

v1rus

Arcane
If they made Tengu playable, I'd roll a warrior straight away. Mada-fawkin' samurai chicken, yo. Plus, i've been saving some sick dragon gun skin for ages, so my samurai chicken would totally rock.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still play. I find the new expansion content fun and use my ranger/druid most of the time. Not sure about the necro, I've got a level 80, but I powerleveled him through crafting so I never really played the class.

I'm still waiting for ANET to release the new living world story stuff, not really sure if they are or when, it's been a while. I generally just do home instance stuff when I log in for the day and then I'm done unless I've got a friend that I want to play with or something.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This was the biggest mistake I ever use my US$10 for. God for a B2P game (at least when I started) this game was so lacking in content besides RvR PVP that it is comparable to F2P MMO. Heck I think I have played some F2P MMO with better content than this.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
This was the biggest mistake I ever use my US$10 for. God for a B2P game (at least when I started) this game was so lacking in content besides RvR PVP that it is comparable to F2P MMO. Heck I think I have played some F2P MMO with better content than this.
Man the RVR was disappointing. Not terribly but significant enough, as I had played DAoC before this (and by "before this" I mean I never was hardcore, I only experienced a bit of it near the end), and GW2 was just not fun. Granted it was better than WAR.

Content was just gay. I said this before, but I have no fucking clue why they didn't spend all their effort on dynamic events, and added in personal story shit. Like, they didn't even advertise personal story... Their whole *umph* throughout development was having very interactive and intertwined dynamic events. But seriously, what serious waste of time and budget into personal story, time and budget taken away from what might have been interesting.

Even WAR had better "dynamic events" (Public Quests), and GW2 honestly was supposed to implement Public Quests version 2.0.

I'm not even going to talk about the dumbass decline of GW1 complexity like Mesmer hexes, the addition of cooldown dodging, cooldowns in general, etc. Only the Elementalist seemed to be complex in mechanics. And the sad thing is that the combat didn't even feel "actiony," because of the cooldowns. If you're going to switch to actiony combat, then go full actiony like TERA or some shit. I fully understand they wanted to move away from GW1 type of gameplay, and I was okay with that, but what they ended up was just half-assed.

And half-assed basically described the game.

---

It's so sad, because I *defended the game during development, because I had faith that despite being different from GW1 type of gameplay, GW2 would implement a different type of gameplay that would work very well in a different manner.

But I was wrong. They fucked up the implementation.

*Well, not exactly defend. But I don't believe in judging a game before release, unless I'm in beta or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom