Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog's next game is a Dungeons & Dragons RPG

pippin

The CREATOR of the Forgotten Realms confirmed there has been gender-neutral characters in the setting from the beginning. But what the fuck would he know??
Counter-point: he's the creator of forgotten realms, the teenager-est fantasy setting.

He alsomakes his self insert fuck several women.
He probably doesn't do that irl.

Fuck Beamdog, rip DnD. DnD might be shit now, but it feels wrong to allow such a shitty company to do more damage to it.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Writers have been shoehorning their politics and ideas into their fiction since time immemorial. It bugs me when I disagree with the writer's politics but I don't let it ruin the whole thing for me.

Now thanks to the horror show of humanity that is the internet, the tiniest thing can cause people on the left and right to rage until the developers change it and cause even more controversy for giving in.

Now when Beamdog's next RPG comes out and they make an inside joke about this event or gamergate everyone is going to flip the fuck out and we will get this shit all over again. Seriously fuck this stupidity.

Whatever it is, I hope they can drop the linearity of SoD. More optional areas/quests and less locking the player out of completed areas.

I honestly don't mind linearity in RPGs. Icewind Dale is linear as fuck but it is one of my favourite RPGs. I am not saying that from nostalgia ether since I only recently completed the game with IWDEE.

I passed the second one before the first, just like with Baldur's Gate.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
They could also do a Planescape game, right? There are so many unused planes... just take some of the existing P&P campaigns and the story writes itself.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Writers have been shoehorning their politics and ideas into their fiction since time immemorial. It bugs me when I disagree with the writer's politics but I don't let it ruin the whole thing for me.
That's because you are a degenerate.

Now when Beamdog's next RPG comes out and they make an inside joke about this event or gamergate everyone is going to flip the fuck out and we will get this shit all over again.
Rightfully so.

Andhaira

Arcane
GODDAMIT!
I still don't get it why nobody pitched the idea to make solid D&D game with core rules etc with separate-sold modules AKA DLC. Literally everyone will be happy - devs, greedy shady and corrupted suits in Hasbro and perhaps, even players!
That`s a gold mine. You can even assign different devs to different modules.
:x

That is exactly what ToEE was going to be. Unfortunately Troika crashed and burned around the time the game hit the shelves.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I am kinda curious about the DnD 5 system.
And I'm not following the irrational hate towards Beamdog anyway, so... I'm definitely chaotic neutral towards this.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
They might go for a more exotic setting so that the Mizhena's of the Realms blend in better.

If it's a new engine, there's a good chance it will be turn-based.

I'm somewhat skeptical about it being turn-based because (again, from listening to pre-SoD interviews and streams) I've gotten the impression that they've been able to do what they're doing specifically on the basis of PoE's success. Plus, they're already experienced with real-time in theory. But we'll see.
What success?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why the fuck does beamdog get to make new D&D games when there's multiple better known candidates? Is it just because of their dragonspear or what?

No one wants to make D&D games anymore except losers (n-space, beamdog).

They have good reasons too. Even Slamdunk Fergie refuses to make a D&D game if asked.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
5th ed is quite fun. Still hope they're working on a Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition though.

Amber Scott makes some great points and I agree with her.

I honestly don't mind linearity in RPGs. Icewind Dale is linear as fuck but it is one of my favourite RPGs. I am not saying that from nostalgia ether since I only recently completed the game with IWDEE.

And I'm not following the irrational hate towards Beamdog anyway

I don't even.

The problem is the emphasis and lack of respect they had for the franchise and their audience. They just used and "improved" every character to hamfist their politic ideals. It is not just the stupid gamergate joke or the trans character, but the misandric dialogues, etc. They are righteous fanatics who have a profound distaste for their audience and it shows. Among the SJWs the game community is perceived as a white male misogynist club. They hate us and they are using us. And it is not just about SJW ideology either. If any other activist (nazy, etc) put their hands on a cRPG, the result will be third rate political propaganda.

Fuck Beamdog, rip DnD.

Good.

DnD might be shit now, but it feels wrong to allow such a shitty company to do more damage to it.

No, it feels great! D&D was always the pop PnP. The adoration this franchise receives is fanboysm beyond comprehension. A colleague of mine is playing D&D for 20 years now. I said to him the other day "There are other PnP games, you know?". People have no imagination. It's time to move on and try different things. I hope Beamdog tarnish BG and D&D names so much to the point that every sane cRPG player will be disgusted to mention these things ever again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The CREATOR of the Forgotten Realms confirmed there has been gender-neutral characters in the setting from the beginning. But what the fuck would he know??
Counter-point: he's the creator of forgotten realms, the teenager-est fantasy setting.

He alsomakes his self insert fuck several women.
He probably doesn't do that irl.

Fuck Beamdog, rip DnD. DnD might be shit now, but it feels wrong to allow such a shitty company to do more damage to it.
Actually the "official" story is that Elminster came to our world and talked with Greenwood and Greenwood wrote about that world :)
Note I read this about 15 years ago so I might be remembering wrong :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
I wish I could be excited for this but then I remember David Gaider works at BeamDog and I imagine playing a RPG where everybody from both sexes want to fuck with me for some reason and half the world population is made of trannies, the excitement goes away as fast as it arrived.

It's may be possible for this comment to be stupider or more inaccurate, but it would be pretty difficult. The uproar over this game says so, so much more about the people who had a problem with it than anyone who was involved in making it. There was one, barely significant vendor who was transgender. The CREATOR of the Forgotten Realms confirmed there has been gender-neutral characters in the setting from the beginning. But what the fuck would he know??
A few fun facts for you:
1) David Gaider is involved and probably on a major role, that is enough to light up all the red alarm lights, I'm not talking of a single tranny vendor as you are conveniently pretending, I'm talking of David Gaider's past writing habits and I remember pretty well how Dragon Age 2 and 3 turned out. Sorry, I'm not into every single fucking main character be bisexual for me to fuck and there is no guarantee this game will be free of that degenerate shit. I don't give a fuck there are gay characters on my game but I don't want that kind of degenerated fan service that destroy the characters to be inclusive for a small sub set of people.
2) The other writing staff at BeamDog proved to be incompetent or offensive talentless in more than one ocasion, on Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and on SoD, there is no good reason to expect they will improve.
3) This game will probably use a new engine and not some jury rigged IE engine, it will be a test of fire for BeamDog that could end like N-Space did where they didn't have the technical ability or lacked the funds to make a full fledged editor and had to dumb down a ton of shit. PoE costed more than 5 million dollars and still was rushed as fuck with half the features on placeholder state. I really hope for a full RPG and I'm not that convinced BeamDog can pull that off.
4) I sorta enjoyed SoD by the way, it was too railroaded, the story was boring as shit but there are a few enjoyable moments like what they did with random encounters, there are interesting encounters like optional sleeping dragons with treasure to fight, liches that need their phylactery destroyed, vampires that need to be staked, some quests offer nice choices and the combat is decent enough but I'm talking of a game using the IE engine and not a new engine that is pretty much vulnerable to screw ups. Beamdog still need to do a ton of shit for me to consider them a decent company and a few good points on an overall very mediocre game won't convince me, a bit of skepticism is good.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
The problem is the emphasis and lack of respect they had for the franchise and their audience. They just used and "improved" every character to hamfist their politic ideals. It is not just the stupid gamergate joke or the trans character, but the misandric dialogues, etc. They are righteous fanatics who have a profound distaste for their audience and it shows. Among the SJWs the game community is perceived as a white male misogynist club. They hate us and they are using us. And it is not just about SJW ideology either. If any other activist (nazy, etc) put their hands on a cRPG, the result will be third rate political propaganda.
I take back what i said about you in a previous post being a cancer to the gaming industry and apologize. I was wrong about you.
I hope Beamdog tarnish BG and D&D names so much to the point that every sane cRPG player will be disgusted to mention these things ever again.
Inshallah.
I don't give a fuck there are gay characters on my game but I don't want that kind of degenerated fan service that destroy the characters to be inclusive for a small sub set of people.
The other writing staff at BeamDog proved to be incompetent or offensive talentless in more than one ocasion
MorganFreeman.jpg
This thread is edgie
Is this the new hipster response that all the super cool kids use these days when they can't come up with a counter argument?

Fag 1: "This game sucks i don't like it"
Fag 2: "Stop being such an edgelord bruh, don't you want to be awsome like me and wear plaid shirts, thick rimmed glasses, have arm sleeve tattoo's and hey! Check out my micro brew, ain't it sick?"

Drowed

Arcane
Image18-2-585x300.jpg

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I finally got around to Dragonspear a few weeks ago and kinda loved it, although it made me confront the fact that I'm totally over Infinity Engine-style combat. pleased to see what they come up with next.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Isn't it too early for a Sword Coast Legends: Enhanced Edition?
Small company with questionable, honesty, technical and design pedigree + low budget + pressures for dumb down gameplay both from publishers and the usual developer desire to sell more to achieve finantial security appealing to an "wider audience" = N-Space 2: The Ressurection of the Bisexual Tranny Evil.

Obviously, I could be wrong and they, against all the odds, make a decent game but with the long history of shitty RPGs made by shitty companies with N-Space being the last representative of this glorious tradition, I can't feel all the optimist. Another thing, for people that enjoyed SoD, remember that BeamDog was forced to used the IE engine and there were limits on how much dumb down they could do and still they pushed the envelope on railroading, signposting and handholding. Imagine if they make a new engine with all those juice new opportunities to dumb down and get all that degenerate Bioware fan base that is kinda orphan these days? We are speaking of millions of degenerates against a few thousand of codexians, an AoD, this won't be. :smug:

imweasel

Interesting.

Will it have trannies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom