Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny E3 2016 Previews, Gameplay Footage, Screenshots

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
At 3:06, your character moves a tenth of a step next to an enemy (closer towards him, actually) and suffers a disengagement attack, without an animation. I was hoping this would work more smoothly in Tyranny; disengagement should not trigger on literally every tiny movement, and the attack should be accompanied by some sort of animation.

Kaivokz

Arcane
The writing style also seems a bit childish in places. "I call first blood!" Really? You want me to engage with this as a dark fantasy world when little shits are running around "calling" first blood? Anyone that naive should have died long ago without a social safety net preserving the stupid.
In fairness, that sounds consistent with The Black Company.
Interesting. I haven't read The Black Company books, but I actually just bought the first three last night. I'm hoping that if there are characters who are eager to be the first to kill, they will be written better than this. At least better than running at the enemy shouting about dibs like a kid calling shotgun.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I also don't like how the tooltips on combo abilities focus on describing your actions, presumably hiding the actual numbers in the right-click window. The normal tooltips tell you at least how much damage you can expect to do and how long a status effect will normally last. The combo tooltips seem more interested in being "narrative" than in being helpful.

1zceHdO.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Aggro mechanics eh

Yup, Tyranny has both aggro and engagement - two great flavours that go great together.

Even with the classless system, Barik seems designed to act like an MMO tank; he also has a defensive stance and an AoE taunt on a short cooldown.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What exactly is there to apologize for.

How does it even make sense to say this about a game that people complained about its hordes of trash mobs

Anything anybody says apparently. :lol:

I guess the siege of Dragonspear Castle has set a new standard.

Wow, burn. By which I mean your asshole still burns badly that SoD wasn't received as badly as PoE here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron is purposely (unless he really is an idiot savant of underhanded argumentation) using a classic logical fallacy in which he conflates the separate arguments of different persons in order to make said arguments appear inconsistent or otherwise disingenuous to the extent they originate from a fictional, singular "people".

The irony is that even if one person made both those two separate arguments, they would in no way be at odds with one another, as both poor engine optimization leading to a suspension of disbelief shattering number of NPCs on-screen (for a given scene) and hordes of trash mobs are problems that any game can simultaneously have.

Particularly where PoE critics used the term "hordes" or terms similar to that in the context of describing how it felt to, over the course of the entire game (or even single maps) repeatedly fight relatively smaller groups of tactically uninteresting mobs.

What's really disturbing is that Infinitron spends enough time on this site (as a newsposter alone) to know and be intimately familiar with the actual, contemporaneous arguments made by PoE critics.

And yet he still chooses to ply inaccurate bullshit in new threads pertaining to Obisidian products.

Ask yourself why a poster would do this.

No, asshat. This isn't the first time Bester has talked about the PoE engine supposedly having a harsh limit on the number of characters per-area. Not per-screen, per-area. I had no reason to believe he was referring to anything else.

As for the size of the hordes in PoE, no, there were some truly huge ones by any reasonable standard. For example, the gigantic spider horde on Level 10 of Od Nua on Path of the Damned Difficulty. I believe civilized areas of the game could have had such large groups as well. They probably didn't because of the more conservative, framerate-aware design of such areas. But there is no hard limit.

Cease your attempts to impugn my honesty. I'm far less obsessed about video games than people like you are.

hivemind

one thing that sorta triggered me is that the winner of the fight in front of the ascension hall between the purple and red factions depends entirely on which one you sided with instead of some internal lore powerlevel
I guess this could be explained by the faction you have aided by scaling the walls has more men to use in the fight but still it feels kinda gay and contrived
imo it would have been better if, for example, when you sided with red faction you had to like help them finish of the purple faction because they are stronger fighters and if you sided with the purple faction you could have just let them finish off the red faction themselves for the same reason and like maybe the rebel faction inside the keep had more time to fortify their position or something while you were busy dealing with the purple faction so you'd have a different encounter with the rebels if you aided the red faction instead of the purple faction
stuff like this would make the C&C feel less banal and entirely fluffy

A horse of course

The writing style also seems a bit childish in places. "I call first blood!" Really? You want me to engage with this as a dark fantasy world when little shits are running around "calling" first blood? Anyone that naive should have died long ago without a social safety net preserving the stupid.
In fairness, that sounds consistent with The Black Company.

Ask herostratus about The Black Company.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Watched the whole thing now. That was weak. Very bad combat encounters with characters and enemies alike whacking each other with pointy objects sometimes triggering some fancy flashy effect for good measure. As a presentation, I must say this was completely ineffective.

As much as Siege of Dragonspear was controversial on dex, man, that expansion rolls over this presentation like a bulldozer, with siege actually looking and working like a siege should. I mean, enemies using items and advanced magic and potions as well as AoE spells and curses, having some traps to go through.

And the choices here? Barely consequential.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess the siege of Dragonspear Castle has set a new standard. :M

You know that DC actually has some neat gameplay, right?

That post wasn't meant to be a knock against Dragonspear. IMO, anybody on this forum who freaked out about PoE's heresies against D&D but refuses to play SoD is a fool.

I'm expecting this to be the very beginning of the game, right after character creation. All the decisions leading up to that point would have been made when selecting our toon's past and role in the war.

I'm doubtful. For one thing, I don't think they would start you off with a full party of companions you don't know yet.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If Cain and Boyarsky don't come up with something fresh then I think Obsidian is as good as dead for me.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh, the Codex disapproves? What a surprise. :|
To be fair, Bubbles raised some valid points ITT. Aggro is MMO-ish and has no place in a serious CRPG. Likewise, instant physical attacks that have no animation (disengagement) have no place in real-time combat. The only thing that can be really instant is a trap or a Contingency-like spell - i.e. something that is prepared beforehand and goes off when certain conditions are met.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They probably didn't because of the more conservative, framerate-aware design of such areas. But there is no hard limit.

That's exactly what he's saying.

I spoke a bit to Roby Atadero about this subject, the lag apparently comes from the Unity Renderer code (they don't have access to the Unity source code). Thus, the way they designed the 3D character models for the Pillars engine makes the game lag like shit.

Will they change it in the future? Anyone's guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They probably didn't because of the more conservative, framerate-aware design of such areas. But there is no hard limit.

That's exactly what he's saying.

I spoke a bit to Roby Atadero about this subject, the lag apparently comes from the Unity Renderer code (they don't have access to the Unity source code). Thus, the way they designed the 3D character models for the Pillars engine makes the game lag like shit.

Will they change it in the future? Anyone's guess.

I think in the future they might add more NPCs even if it does make older computers lag, as hinted by Josh Sawyer: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...expansion-thread.100006/page-139#post-4413375

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It doesn't just make old computers lag, it makes any computer lag as it's a CPU-bound issue. I don't have the_best PC, but I do have an i7 4970K and even with that, I recall the main city district of Pillars (forget the name, the one that looks like a Waukeen's Promenade knock off) runs at like 30 FPS.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Watched the whole thing now. That was weak. Very bad combat encounters with characters and enemies alike whacking each other with pointy objects sometimes triggering some fancy flashy effect for good measure. As a presentation, I must say this was completely ineffective.

As much as Siege of Dragonspear was controversial on dex, man, that expansion rolls over this presentation like a bulldozer, with siege actually looking and working like a siege should. I mean, enemies using items and advanced magic and potions as well as AoE spells and curses, having some traps to go through.

And the choices here? Barely consequential.

(a) which stands as a lesson on how much resources you should devote to the atmospheric details of a siege because nobody gave a shit about it when it was done right in Siege of Dragonspear

(b) I'm not sure if Obsidian's choices check is gong to bounce or not, but it's not as though the full gravity of your choices is gong to materialize immediately. Your mandate for independent action makes you a fluctuating currency in the grand strategy game that is unfolding between the rival factions of the Kyros' empires, so the big players have probably aren't going to kill immediately for flouting their will. Eventually your ability to "work with" different factions will be grayed out as you prove completely unreliable as an ally, same as New Vegas factions.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
"I call first blood!" Really? You want me to engage with this as a dark fantasy world when little shits are running around "calling" first blood? Anyone that naive should have died long ago without a social safety net preserving the stupid.
Can you mark it on video, I somehow missed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom