Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
I find it amusing that one thing everyone agrees on is to go around without clothes just because we can. Meanwhile, diplomacy wins over LIGHTNING BOLTS! for one vote of difference.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The only reason I want to try diplomacy is because I think that Aria and Arlin are there.

lightbane

Arcane
The only reason I want to try diplomacy is because I think that Aria and Arlin are there.
Why would the twins be here? Aria is still lost somewhere within the Twilight Zone, while Arlin left once he realized Rin is all brawn and no brains. Speaking of which, at least it seems she no longer calls herself "Supreme Mistress of Darkness", just the latter three words. Perhaps she realized her limitations and that she's not as mighty as she beleived.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why would the twins be here?
The fact that Methussians came straight here after months of not having a clue of where the castle was, they get that information from someone, maybe Arlin because they have Aria as hostage.

lightbane

Arcane
Let's hope that's not the case then. I don't trust myself much (nor the Codex) with hostage situations.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A - FLOPPING ANGEL COCK/10
B - 1

A - 8
B - 8
C - 0

Post-flop:

A - FLOPPING ANGEL COCK/10
B - 0

A - 9
B - 7
C - 0

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm going to go ahead and quote Azira by saying: dun dun duu.

Zwist

Learned
Or one of the twins could be leading the assault, instead of being hostages. Just because.
Or a certain girl we got killed while being on a "date". More likely, and considering our attire equally amusing.

Anyway: walking butt naked into an enemy camp, hell yeahh.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Marquis of the Kingdom

To your surprise, you are not attacked when you approach the camp. Not a single arrow or spell comes your way. Floating in the sky high above their crowded tents, you watch as the crowd of knights and mages part way for a single man. He is dressed in the drab outfit of a common soldier, unlike the gilded and golden armours of the noble knights and the wildly coloured robes of the mages. His long hair is tied back neatly in a ponytail, revealing his sharp and cunning features.

That face is familiar. You had seen him once before, briefly, at the capital. If your memory still serves you right… Marquis Ondore Hastwell. Judging from the situation and what you have heard of his reputation, he is likely the mastermind of this particular campaign. The marquis reaches the front of the crowd and looks up at you, his lips parting slightly at the sight of your nakedness. That is the only sign of surprise that he allows to slip part his guard, as he calmly addresses you immediately after.

“I am Marquis Ondore Hastwell, commander of these forces. Might you be the one that rules this fortress? I have heard that the Dark Lord was a woman, but you are… evidently not one.”

“Evidently so,” you grin, looking down on him. “I do not rule this fortress… but why, did things not go to plan?”

The Marquis sighs. “Things rarely do. But yes, I must admit that the appearance of an angel on the side of the enemy complicates matters.” He tries to peer at your face, but the bright glare of the halo over your head forces him to squint, unable to make out your features.

“Lord Marquis, we can just blow this bastard-“

He motions at the knight who had spoken out with a forceful gesture of his fist. “Stand down, Joven,” orders Hastwell. “This is not a situation you can fight your way out of, and we are ill-equipped to slay an angel. I made a mistake.”

“Shouldn’t have come here in the first place, then!” you say jovially. “Now, why did you come here in the first place? If you indulge me in some questions I just might be willing to give you a chance.”

“I have little first-hand experience with angels, but from what I have read, they do not seem to be renowned for being sparkling conversationalists,” replies Hastwell. “Are the stories mistaken or are you just different?” When he gets nothing but your patient smile in return, he sighs, and continues, “Very well, I will answer your question. I came here upon orders of the king to take the enemy’s stronghold.”

“And how did you get here?”

“We aren’t obliged to answer that!” shouts Joven fearlessly. “What is this, an interrogation?”

“It’s just a friendly discussion,” you smile. “But an interrogation is fine too.” You raise your hand. A mild tingle runs through the air, a spark carried by the wind that has begun to blow. The mages are the first to react and back away, cowed by the beginnings of the spell that is assembling in your hand.

“Joven,” snaps Hastwell, “one more word out of line from you and I will have you whipped! Go calm your head somewhere in your tent!” Turning back to you, he apologizes. “I am sorry. My subordinate’s hot temper has its uses in battle, but in diplomacy he is yet lacking. As for your question, I am familiar with the paths of the forest and the lay of the land, and understand the logistics of transporting large numbers of men. My enemy’s forces have numbers but that is all they have, and they lack the training and ability to maintain their borders effectively.” Hastwell explains all this to you without missing a beat, and without attempting to look at you again. It is nothing you hadn’t really expected, but to hear the flaws of your side from the enemy’s commander still feels a bit embarrassing.

“Are you sure you should be telling me your strategy?” you ask. “Some might consider it treason.”

“Knowing the other’s strategy is just the first step on the board. A strategist must pride himself in being able to think ten steps ahead,” he says.

“You mean to say that you think you can win, even if you tell me everything you have planned?”

“Strategy can only take you so far in the face of overwhelming power. I will not win, not today. I did not plan for the sudden appearance of a powerful foe able to devastate my troops all by himself.”

You laugh, shaking your head. “That is a lie, Marquis. You came expecting to face the lord of this fortress, didn’t you?”

“The only reason this expedition was launched in the first place was that I heard that the Dark Lord was absent, but you are correct,” he admits after a long pause. “I arrived with several hero candidates who infiltrated the castle. They would have been my trump card, but seeing as you are here and they are not… well, that does not leave me with any options, does it?” Sighing, he continues, “As I have said, overwhelming power has an uncanny tendency to blunt the finest strategy. And so here we are.”

“Here we are,” you agree, nodding. “The question is, where do we go from here?”

“I would very much like it if you could spare my men and let us return, and in exchange we would promise not to fight against you in the future… but that is a child’s dream.”

You are the strategist, Lord Marquis. What would you do?” you ask. “Assume that you have a clever general of the opposing side at your mercy, and must now decide what to do with him for the sake of your kingdom and your people.”

A pause. Another sigh, and then the surprisingly honest answer. “A simple decision. Execute the man. If I have managed to outmaneuver him, there is little he can offer to my side in the first place. A man who will turn his colours once will turn again. There is no trusting a traitor, and trusting a clever one is a particular folly reserved only for those with the greatest, undeserved opinion of their own intellect. Of course, there are exceptions, ways in which to use a potential traitor to your own benefit, methods of sowing misinformation… but execution is the simplest and safest decision of all.”

You ponder his words.

“Is that all?” asks Hastwell, a cold smile on his face. There it is, the look of someone who accepts death, though strangely in his eyes what you see is not resignation, but grim determination. You understand that once you decide to kill him, he will fight to the death, and his men along with him. They might not stand a good chance but they will nonetheless try.

A. “That is all. You may leave.” Having expended enough energy for today, you let them go, though not before giving them a message to bring to their king, warning that any further encroachments will result in painful reprisals and suggesting a proper summit to discuss the future of their kingdom. You are not Rin, and now that you are taking over, perhaps you might be able to win peace through words. It is time to think of a different future for Grahferde. And of course if words fail you can just kill their king at the summit.

B. “Oh, of course. It’s over and you may leave.” You let them go… well, you let them think you are letting them go anyway. There is no point in engaging in a fight immediately when you can just let them go off a safe distance and then mop them up with your spells. You said that they could leave, you didn’t promise that they’d leave alive.

C. “Wait. Hold on a second. Sorry, call of nature.” Shrugging your shoulders, you piss on them. Then you dive in to attack. You can’t exactly loot their camp if you blow it up with your spells now, can you?

D. “Oh, no, I am not done with you, Marquis. Wait, why are there no women on your staff?” You follow the time-honored tradition of taking the enemy leader and his subordinates hostage. Being the husband of the kingdom’s eldest Princess, he should fetch a handsome ransom, along with all the other nobles. Besides, you have a job vacancy for a general in your forces as the goblins have proved singularly unable to rise to the task. Surely there’ll be some ambitious chap in here willing to play ball with you for the low low price of their free will and dignity.

Zwist

Learned
Hmm, I am all for discussing a future agreement. but why the hell shouldn't we have a bargaining chip?
D. With the addendum that we don't really need the money, but will release the hostages as a sign of good will, should we come to an agreement (except for the heroines still alive of course).
They expect a monster, lets not be that. But letting him go? Na, not before he is honour bound not to fuck our shit up. As he just told us he will.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
B > C

The point of diplomacy was to ensure that they didn't have Zayan or someone else we care about as a captive. This is evidently not the case, so let's nuke 'em and call it a day. Hastwell is skilled enough by all accounts in fighting that I'd not chance it in personal combat.

We can develop our own, more loyal loyal officers later. Traitors can be used for a short-term advantage at times, but we shouldn't rely on these guys for anything as they only would have reasons to hate and fear us. As for keeping them as hostages, for the ones of value here a prison might as well be a cardboard box.

lightbane

Arcane
He tries to peer at your face, but the bright glare of the halo over your head forces him to squint, unable to make out your features.
I wasn't aware the Halo was that bright. The bloom must be a new feature, although chances are the Marquis would have recognized our voice anyway.

In any case, B is foolish: any would-be adventurer will have a teleport scroll, for not to mention that tactic is older-than-dirt. D is dangerous, we lack the resources to properly imprison an high-level hero, while C... C is fully chaotic stupid, but it will ensure everyone fights to death due sheer humiliation. Hopefully Erd's improved defenses will be enough to enable him to fight multiple heroes and mages at once.

B>C

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What is this with flipflopping? First you want diplomacy and now you want to kill them all?

A. Ask for a summit and find a way to benefit from it.

Also this. Heart of Rock
Your long slumber within stone has induced certain changes in your body. Whether it is because of your angelic nature or a by-effect of the ability used to entrap you, you do not know, but you now possess greater resilience to all forms of damage. (Moderate increase: Physical Defense, Magical Defense)

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B>C - We need to send a message and the best message we can send is that if you attack us, you all die.

A/D is folly, as the general himself said.

Besides, no women, no captives. That will teach them to send mostly men against us. The sexists.

We already have two female captives asleep in our fortress anyway.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B is foolish: any would-be adventurer will have a teleport scroll
While anything is possible, let's not forget that high-level magic isn't exactly these people's specialty.

That and even we can teleport without a circle.

I rather think that C has a higher chance of loose ends, as people could flee the chaos of battle unnoticed.

Better to wipe them all out with a spell when they aren't prepared. If anyone tells of our presence, they might figure out some high level priest spell made especially for angels - and we do know that there are some strong priests in this land.

Baltika9

Arcane
A>C
I do want the fresh start as Erdrick, but if not, I'll take the troll option.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In any case, B is foolish: any would-be adventurer will have a teleport scroll, for not to mention that tactic is older-than-dirt. D is dangerous, we lack the resources to properly imprison an high-level hero, while C... C is fully chaotic stupid, but it will ensure everyone fights to death due sheer humiliation. Hopefully Erd's improved defenses will be enough to enable him to fight multiple heroes and mages at once.

To clarify, the only heroes or adventurers with this group went on ahead into the fortress as the Marquis said. They're not here. It's mostly a bunch of nobles, their knights, and the Society mages in the camp.

lightbane

Arcane
Treachery is what it is. There will never again be a diplomacy path for Mr Floppycock, when his promises prove to be poppycock.

To be fair diplomacy was unlikely to work, ever. Angels here are a "KILL ON SIGHT!" target for good reasons. Perhaps it will work better with other non-humans. For now though, leaving the Marquis alive would allow him to prepare a plan to capture/exterminate us with overwhelming force.

Tigranes

Arcane
A>D>B/C

Listen to how Hastwell speaks of angels. Identified thusly, we are already considered by default a super fucking powerful being that you cannot fuck around with - enough that our mere appearance basically calls off the grand plan.

So, while pissing on them or ramming their rear will spread word, it won't really help us in any appreciable way.

It is also just as likely that us by ourselves, naked, just awaken, will screw something up. Remember the teleport problem? We might be super-powerful but we're not invulnerable when rampaging an entire army by ourselves.

However, showing a diplomatic touch achieves two long-term benefits.

First, Grafherde opens a possible route towards tentative recognition as a new faction able to be negotiated with. After that it's up to us how and whether we take to diplomacy, or just bomb along.

Second, Hastwell lays out our options, but that is because he knows angels are unlikely to spare them anyway. In sparing him we lose little, and we have many possible outcomes with benefits. Will Hastwel eventually come over to our side? We don't have anybody with such expertise - in strategy and generalship. Will he return to find rumours about how he managed to parley and escape an angel, lose his credibilty, and be demoted from further service? Not bad for us either. And of course it could help (1) above in terms of showing that we can be spoekn to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom