Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

At what point do I not want to kill myself during ToEE?

Temple of Elemental Euthanasia

• kill yourself

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • don't not kill yourself

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

Tom Selleck

Arcane
This fucking pathfinding and this town in the beginning is so boring and awful and dumb huge (like hours to explore it? nothing's inside) that I've killed myself and now am a ghost but was so bored and depressed I'm not even a cool ghost who can visit like female volleyball locker rooms. Just like a wispy fizzle of sad dried up cum.

Should I keep playing this? I hate it.

But it's turn-based and I want it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
TemplePlus has done some work on the pathfinding.

index.php

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Gets better after Hommlet. Temple area has some snazzy quests, provided you don't go in spells and weapons blazin.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Go directly to the moathouse. All the experience in Hommlet will give you one level at most, which just makes the first couple of battles easier.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Temple gets good after Hommlet : best turn based combat system I ever saw in a rpg (only DOS gets close) . Even if the story remains non-existent you have to try the temple's first level.

Aothan

Magister
Hommlet can take some time to traverse, particularly if you feel a need to visit most places, but overall it is a very good town setting for a starting area

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You can use speedup() console command in Co8 to make party run like the wind.

You can use Cheat Engine's Speed Hack too. This is my preferred method since it works with most other DirectX 9 and earlier games too. So convenient to just press a hotkey and boom - instant speed rush.

laclongquan

Arcane
Even running the wind wont help with Hommlet.

I left TOEE on my HD for the last month. I'd rather replayed Bloodlines back to back, done with Tremere and jump back into Malkavian, than retry it.

After Malkavian done, which should be in next two weeks, probabbly another game. TOEE is dreadfully boring.

Hommlet is the backstory that sets up a lot of your character motivations. Without it it would make no sense why our characters would risk their lives fighting bugbears and ogres and balrogs just to get away from the quiet city life. Think of Hommlet as being the climax of the campaign with the rest being our sanity-drained party trying to work out their PTSD issues in the temple.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Played ToEE 3 times, never even touched Hommlet.
IMHO the best ToEE experience is the Moat House. Decline starts afterwards...except for a few battles and quests.

Prime Junta

Hommlet is kinda bad, with a few somewhat halfway redeeming quests around it. Moathouse is gud. Rest of the game mostly just has bugbears. It looks sweet, the turn-based mechanics are fantastic, it has some nicely set-up encounters, but a lot of it is, frankly, repetitive slog.

It's kind of like a really nice extended tech demo of a turn-based D&D3 engine looking for someone to make an actual game with it. If that's enough for you, you'll love it. If not, suicide is a valid career option.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hommlet was pretty mind-numbing I have to admit. In fact, the whole game is pretty mind-numbing unless you're particularly fond of wanking over the combat system, which is it's one and only claim to fame, and deservedly so, but make a game it does not.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I was like you when I played it, I hated it at first but thought I had to slog through Hommlet because that's how games work and if you don't do every single thing, you're setting yourself up for disaster down the road by missing something crucial. But nothing in Hommlet is important or interesting or has any lasting effect and you should skip it completely. Hommlet is the worst shit ever.

pippin

You don't even need to do all the quests, but you should avoid the one that forces you to marry. Your waifu will be a druid with 1 hp.

Deleted Member 16721

I thought Hommlet was a good starting town. The boat town was neat, too. Both were quite atmospheric.

In Hommlet it was a tad bit difficult to remember where I'd been already, but after awhile it wasn't too much of a problem.

It's a very laid-back game. It's meant to just explore and take your time with it. The combat and dungeon parts are slow, too. So, like someone suggested, if you get to the Moathouse and you're not digging the combat, either, just play something else.

Lambach

Arcane
"Guys, let's make a turn-based game centered around combat based on a PnP system that is at its slowest and most boring during the first 5 levels, and stretch that period for hours and hours and hours" - Troika.

Fucking stellar idea, lads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom