Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Quigs

Magister
Liked shining force, love Fire Emblem. Shin Megami was recommended by a friend. Picked it up, got sick over a weekend. Dosed heavily with codeine I gave it a shot, and the game was just fucking weird. Like pokemon for adults into some really strange shit.

latest

Like wtf is that. The whole bribe/gift thing was weird too. I just couldn't get into it.

---

Arcane
It seems that this game has almost no references to Fire Emblem, so why the fuck call it "Shin Migami Tensei x Fire Emblem"?
Oh, yeah, $$$...

It seems that this game has almost no references to Fire Emblem, so why the fuck call it "Shin Migami Tensei x Fire Emblem"?
Oh, yeah, $$$...

It's no longer SMTxFE but Tokyo Mirrage Session.

I'm wondering how's level design. If they improved it over boring, random generated shit from Persona 3 / 4 a combine it with battle system at least as good as in these game, I'm into it despite visual vomitorium.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh, yeah, $$$...

All the "personae" (aka Mirages in this game) are FE characters. There's a bunch of NPCs who also look like FE characters, such as the cashier at the Hee Ho mart who looks like Anna. Story wise it's hard to tell yet how much FE is in there. I'm not so much familiar with FE but I do believe that all the weapons that you use are taken from Fire Emblem. Then there's some other references such as the stats being the same ones as in FE and weapons have different resistances / weaknesses, but this goes hand-in-hand with the SMT brand of weakness/resistance.

Oh, yeah, $$$...

It's no longer SMTxFE but Tokyo Mirrage Session.

I'm wondering how's level design. If they improved it over boring, random generated shit from Persona 3 / 4 a combine it with battle system at least as good as in these game, I'm into it despite visual vomitorium.

This game has real dungeons with puzzle mechanics. Seems like Atlus is stepping away from the shit tier random corridors for good.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I mean, I have a Wii-U. I might as well get this, but I'll wait for a discount or used. My biggest nitpicks with JRPGs are bad localizations, and this is up there.

Which is weird, Atlus is usually really good with this sort of stuff.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I mean, I have a Wii-U. I might as well get this, but I'll wait for a discount or used. My biggest nitpicks with JRPGs are bad localizations, and this is up there.

If I recall correctly (and I might not), Nintendo as the publisher required Atlas to make a lot of concessions here, which is probably why we got this rather than your typical Atlus product.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

If I recall correctly (and I might not), Nintendo as the publisher required Atlas to make a lot of concessions here, which is probably why we got this rather than your typical Atlus product.

Treehouse the ones localizing this, not the usual Atlus gang in US.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've just finished my 12 hour long marathon of playing this game. It's pretty great so far. Definitely more influences of FE than SMT in it (I mean mainline, not Persona). The only SMT-like mechanic within the game are the weapons that you upgrade to change your resists, increase damage and learn skills from. They basically work like Nocturne's Magatama where each weapon has a set of skills that your characters learn in order and when the skill list is exhausted it's time to switch your weapon to keep learning new skills or upgrading old ones. The article that complains about the localization is a bit misleading; all those cringey lines seem to be cherry picked as I've yet to encounter any lines that I found particularly cringey. The writing isn't exactly high culture, but it's not making me angry either.
Not trying to fanboi the game as I was fully set on hating the game. I just think people should give it a chance. If you're a fan of Fatlus games then it's pretty likely that you'll enjoy this game quite a bit as I have. It's basically Persona without the social stuff but with real dungeons and better combat mechanics.

Malpercio

Arcane
Liked shining force, love Fire Emblem. Shin Megami was recommended by a friend. Picked it up, got sick over a weekend. Dosed heavily with codeine I gave it a shot, and the game was just fucking weird. Like pokemon for adults into some really strange shit.

latest

Like wtf is that. The whole bribe/gift thing was weird too. I just couldn't get into it.

If anything Pokemon is SMT for children. :P

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cracked through to Chapter 2 so far in the game. It's very Persona, but with better dungeon design and more traditional out of dungeon stuff to do (you just do actual sidequests for your companions/random people, no social things). The story is retarded, but I kind of expected that from the premise and the general over the top Japaneseness of Atlus games. Essentially it's the return of SMT to an actual console, not the greatest SMT game, but it's solid enough so far. I'm not noticing too much about the localization that really bothers me so far, it's agitating to know they censored stuff and I'd rather play uncensored games, but I've seen much worse censorship before.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Cracked through to Chapter 2 so far in the game. It's very Persona, but with better dungeon design and more traditional out of dungeon stuff to do (you just do actual sidequests for your companions/random people, no social things). The story is retarded, but I kind of expected that from the premise and the general over the top Japaneseness of Atlus games. Essentially it's the return of SMT to an actual console, not the greatest SMT game, but it's solid enough so far. I'm not noticing too much about the localization that really bothers me so far, it's agitating to know they censored stuff and I'd rather play uncensored games, but I've seen much worse censorship before.

Apparently a restoration patch exists that gets rid of all the Treehouse "improvements". I haven't looked into it myself yet so you'll have to google it if you're interested.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game bombed pretty hard in Japan but it seems to be doing really great in the West. It was pretty high in the charts in Britbongistan, higher up than Xenoblade X ever was, which is impressive for a game that had less advertising. It's also currently the #1 most sold game in my local game store. I'm pretty surprised by how well it is doing, I would've thought that the idol setting would've been a bigger turn off for people along with being on a mostly dead console, but I guess Atlus gameplay is too compelling.

HotSnack

Cipher
Interesting that it bombed in Japan since you'd think the xfandom and idol culture would make it laser focused for that audience in particular. Does anyone who follow Japanese boards know the reasooning? Are they simply so saturated in such similar products already that they are numb to it?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think one of the main reasons the game bombed in Japan was because of the console it was on and not the content of the game. WiiU didn't do too hot there. Anyway I read somewhere that Nintendo said that they consider this to be one of their major franchises now so expect more #FE in the future.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I suppose the hard numbers might end up being low and "high chart position" might be deceptive, but we're never going to get those released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom