Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline some braindead fucking moron merging and moving threads again

Codex Referendum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lhynn

Arcane
FYI, I've been a staff member since late 2012, and a moderator since late 2013.
Ah, for some reason thought staff was higher than mod. Nvm then, ill keep my ignorant mouth shut when it comes to codex politics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, I've been a staff member since late 2012, and a moderator since late 2013.
Ah, for some reason thought staff was higher than mod. Nvm then, ill keep my ignorant mouth shut when it comes to codex politics.

It's not really a rank. Moderator is a role that can be given to forum users. Staff members are basically trusted users who have access to the Administration forum. Most moderators are staff members (all of them except the moderators of some of the hosted subforums), but technically they don't have to be.

The real leaders of the Codex are the admins, who have the ability to ban people, create forums and subforums, etc.

Mustawd

aweigh had asked Infinitron specifically and Infinitron apparently said, "nah, no thanks". But really, any staffer could do it. If anything it should really fall on Crooked Bee, since she's the weeaboo with the Lightning avatar.

EDIT: Also, aweigh, you're barking up the wrong tree. No one gives two f's about the front page. Only reason I find myself on there is when I accidentally fat finger something when I'm on my phone. And I end up on the front page for some dumb reason.

Same goes with Tacticular Cancer.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The real question is whether CONDUCTOR equates to Staff Member or Moderator. I'm guessing the latter.

Angthoron

Arcane
So any staff can post newsposts, right? why isnt Angthoron being called out too?
Why am I being tagged and what is this nonsense? Please to condense the reasons for my summoning.

Also no, not every staffer can post news, there's a limited number of people that can. I can though, yes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, front page access is an assignable role like moderator. Both staff members and selected non-staff "collaborators" such as Bubbles have the ability to post front page content. But we don't expect them to post news.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why am I being tagged and what is this nonsense? Please to condense the reasons for my summoning.
For the lulz

Also no, not every staffer can post news, there's a limited number of people that can. I can though, yes.
Ah i see. good to know.
Can we get a list? so i dont only bother you next time?

Mustawd

lease to condense the reasons for my summoning.

TL;DR

1. Aweigh is upset that some type of games, mainly blobbers and JRPGs, are not getting proper coverage on the front page.
2. He gives the example that crooked hillary bee's LP is how he discovered how great blobbers are
3. He says he asked the News Jew to post it, alon with coverage of other blobbers, on the front page, but News Jew basically said, "Lol, nope!" and ignored him
4. He shames the Codex by invoking how the RPGWatch posted coverage of Eliminage Gothic, but the codex had nothing
5. To sum up:

There is absolutely no reason not to cover an RPG that is a legitimate RPG and then in turn dedicate coverage to... an interview with someone who wishes to start a Kickstarter about Doom remake or something equally non-RPG.

Are you fucking happy now Irenaeus ?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sitra Achara

I would love to. I already have several pieces ready to go.

I've been working on a retrospective review of the Wizardry 1-5 remakes for both SNES and PS1, and am currently playing through the PS1 Wizardry 4 "remix" for a seperate piece about it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well you could always post BBC-coded, formatted and proof-read news on new jRPGs to Contact Us window, and I'm sure if administration saw a consistent, high-quality content, they would make you a newsposter and you could post about RPG Maker games and all the 4 new blobbers as much as you like.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Excidium II

Because the DOS versions have hundreds of reviews written about them whereas 99% of RPG players who enjoy Blobbers do not even know there are English-language remakes that feature the same dungeons and the same game script with the addition of beautiful 2D Sprite Art in the case of the SNES remakes and 3D Polygonal graphics in the case of the PS1 remakes.

A lot of people who do know about the existence of these Wizardry 1-5 remakes are also under the misconception that they were altered or "dumbed down" because they are on console.

The reason I decided to write on this first, i.e. specific analysis of the first five Wizardry games, because there are a lot of people who have never played them and have only played the inferior, more casual iterations in the franchise (Wiz 6-8) which are much simpler in mechanics and much less interesting in terms of game design than the first five Wizardry games.

They also feature incredibly inferior dungeon design.

A lot of people have asked me why I don't simply write a review for Elminage: Gothic or whatever other Wiz-clone myself then and the reason is very simple: the audience must be educated first or there is no point in reviewing it. You only need to take a look at the people in this thread saying "LOL JRPGs" and then realize that these same people do not actually play real RPGs!

The majority of the "LOL JRPGs" crowd are people who are fairly new to RPGs in general as no real RPG lover would ever consider a game that utilizes Wizardry mechanics as a game that is not worth playing.

After dissecting as best as possible Wizardry 1-5 I plan to write about the Wizardry Empire series which is the direct canon continuation of Wizardry after Wizardry 5. As you have all pointed out for the japanese Wiz 6-8 do not exist, and rightly so as the core gameplay is so different that they should have been branded with a different name.

Wizardry 8 was my first Wizardry and I love Wizardry 8. I have finished it twice, which is more than I have finished Wizardry 3, for example. It was only after playing Wiz 1-5 that I realized just how fundamentally different the games became from 5 to 6. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, what is inherently wrong is exclaiming that Wiz 1-5 feature primitive mechanics when in reality they are actually much more complex than Wizardry 6-8!

It is the ignorance of the "LOL JRPG" poster that gives them away as people who have not played through true 80's and 90's Blobbers and 'Crawlers.

Lastly I wish to address those who say Elminage: Gothic is bad:

Ok. I accept your opinion. It is a very difficult game and it was intentionally designed for lovers of true RPGs with incredible dungeons. However gaming is not objective; either you like it or you don't. What I want to inform you about is that if the quality of the game was the primary indicator for the game to receive coverage on the front-page then the front-page would be empty as more than half of the games covered on the front-page are mediocre non-RPGs. In fact you need only look at the front-page right now to find that more than half of it is about non-RPGs and/or RTwP games.

So good on you if you don't like traditional Wizardry mechanics, but don't confuse one thing with another. A game's quality has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it is covered.

Angthoron

Arcane
A lot of people have asked me why I don't simply write a review for Elminage: Gothic or whatever other Wiz-clone myself then and the reason is very simple: the audience must be educated first or there is no point in reviewing it. You only need to take a look at the people in this thread saying "LOL JRPGs" and then realize that these same people do not actually play real RPGs!
:bravo:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Excidium II

Because the DOS versions have hundreds of reviews written about them whereas 99% of RPG players who enjoy Blobbers do not even know there are English-language remakes that feature the same dungeons and the same game script with the addition of beautiful 2D Sprite Art in the case of the SNES remakes and 3D Polygonal graphics in the case of the PS1 remakes.

A lot of people who do know about the existence of these Wizardry 1-5 remakes are also under the misconception that they were altered or "dumbed down" because they are on console.
I see. You should do Might and Magic 1 NES and Might and Magic 2 SNES/Mega Drive too.

Mustawd

aweigh's posts make me want to quit my job and go play blobbers till I get evicted.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Mustawd
99b.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom