Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Age of Decadence: a new combat video

Severian Silk

Any chance of there being a player-controlled party in a sequel?

Longshanks

Augur
Assnuggets said:
Any chance of there being a player-controlled party in a sequel?
I'd hope not for an AOD sequel, it's a very different play experience, one I see as incompatible with AOD's design philosophy, makes more sense for a heavily combat focused game.

Some more info on future ITS games from the ITS forums:

Vince said:
Assuming that AoD sells enough to keep us in business, here are the options that were thrown around:

a) AoD sequel, set either on a different continent and exploring the Qantari culture or in the "wasteland", exploring uncivilized societies - barbarians, nomads, scavengers, etc.

b) AoD party-based dungeon crawler - we have a decent combat engine, might as well put it to good use.

c) the colony ship game

d) a sci-fi prison game where the goal is to survive and escape.

One of those, possibly two, if we get another team going.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Due to my inherent caution, I have to say, I can't believe that actually looked pretty decent.

Say, can you make it so that when the PC is hit, your HP don't instantly go from 30 to 20, but, instead, count down quickly, but not so quickly that one doesn't notice it? I like that effect a lot in those games. Maybe it's already in and just happened too quickly for me notice.

Kraszu

Prophet
Icon to collect fade black when there is nothing to collect right? Otherwise it would force you to some pointless clicking.

denizsi

Arcane
Jasede said:
Say, can you make it so that when the PC is hit, your HP don't instantly go from 30 to 20, but, instead, count down quickly, but not so quickly that one doesn't notice it? I like that effect a lot in those games. Maybe it's already in and just happened too quickly for me notice.

Actually, it might be nice if it counted down on an action basis. Eg. you're hit for 12 HP and lose a certain amount for every action point you consume either on a constant rate, or on an accelerating rate, like 2 HPs for the first action point, 3 for the next, 4 for the one after that etc.

Hear us VD. Don't make us harrass Iron Tower forum.

elander_

Arbiter
Longshanks said:
I'd hope not for an AOD sequel, it's a very different play experience, one I see as incompatible with AOD's design philosophy, makes more sense for a heavily combat focused game.

This is a situation where compromise is possible. It's very easy to an option to grab or release manual control of npc companions selectively. If you release control of one of your companions the AI plays for him but we always need to have some sort of control on them like a system to give them orders in the middle of battle.

For people who are not fans of TB combat or combat of any sort but enjoy the dialog role-playing and the exploration part this would be the best solution.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, what was that the merchant was using? I got my hopes up and thought it might have been a wheel lock pistol or something. Then I paused and saw that it was a hand crossbow. Dammit! So close to having firearms. Ah well. Anyway, I've nothing bad to say about the game at all at this point, except for maybe slowing down the way HP's disappear. What I mean is maybe make it a counter, like a ticking type of thing (just faster than a clock). I dunno, maybe something like that. Also, hand crossbows- Better than the handcannon.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
These teasers are working. On the basis of this video I will be purchasing the game. All I personally ask is that the basic mechanics demonstrated during the teasers and screencaps be fulfilled flawlessly. Anything extra will be icing on the cake.

VD: Keep up the hard work developing Age of Decadence. I think you'll be surprised by the reaction on release if you put the hard work in, because you have something to be proud of already - and there is a lot of interest in this title, even outside of RPGcodex and its associated peer sites.

Morbus

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
After that suggestion grates on people, I'll also suggest that small damage popup's on screen...
Not sure about that (too actiony), but if there is a strong demand, it won't be difficult to add.
As an option, I hope.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
denizsi said:
Here is another suggestion: Instead of choosing an attack style by clicking on weapon slot, to bring up the context menu, can't we rather click on an enemy to bring up the context menu there to choose an attack?

It would be faster as well: Right now, you click on weapon slot, choose an attack and click on a target, whereas you could click on a target and choose the attack. Sounds much more efficient to me.

I must admit that it sounds like a fairly reasonable idea. Yet another toggable option worth considering implementing, it seems...

The video's fantastic nonetheless.

denizsi

Arcane
To compliment my suggestion, it would also be nice (and necessary really) to be able to see the AP cost and damage range of all the actions in the context menu list if you were able to right click on a target to bring it up.

Simply right click on target;

Click Left for Left Hand;

| NORMAL ATTACK_6 AP / 7-18
| POWER ATTACK__6 AP /
| WHIRLWIND_____6 AP / 7-18
| AIMED: HEAD____6 AP / 7-18
| AIMED: TORSO___5 AP / 7-10
| AIMED: LEGS_____5 AP / 7-10
|
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Or Right Hand;

|
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I also suggest this for the default context menu that opens up when you click on the item slot, so you won't have to go through all attack options one by one to see the AP cost and damage ratings. You can see all the stats at once.

edit: "streamlined" my post.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
denizsi said:
To compliment my suggestion, it would also be nice (and necessary really) to be able to see the AP cost and damage range of all the actions in the context menu list if you were able to right click on a target to bring it up.
That's what we are working on now.

Click on the target and see all attacks, AP costs, to hit chances, and damage.

Looks much better than the first combat video, which had me worried. I'm still suspicious the game might just be Fallout with Roman armor. Which isn't much better in terms of innovation than Oblivion with guns.

If it does turn out to be Fallout in Rome, I'll still play it and probably enjoy it. But I won't respect it.

denizsi

Arcane
If it does turn out to be Fallout in Rome, I'll still play it and probably enjoy it. But I won't respect it.

Like Iron Tower will be glad you paid for the game but won't respect you? LOL.

made

Arcane
I've never cared much for the game, but thumbs up for the music. The presentation is quite decent for a low budget game.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Due to my inherent caution, I have to say, I can't believe that actually looked pretty decent.

Yeah, that would be a nice touch. It makes watching your HP go down much more frustrating. :twisted:

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Longshanks said:
It can't be Fallout in Rome, there's no swearing and over the top violence.
By Fallout in Rome you mean what?
Fallout -- rpg in interesting post-apoc setting, with good c&c, excelent dialogues, open-endness, bla-bla-bla... in Rome
What's bad about it?

What else do we expect from AoD?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
How about being able to hire a henchman as extra muscle for fight-heavy quests? Or being able to hire a rogue-type before going spelunking. Like in NWN1, but without any personality whatsoever to the henchmen except for random comments during battle. For the eventual sequel, I mean. That way you'd avoid falling into the emo-trap of having to make up backstories and personalities for "party members", and still be able to make for some strategic set pieces involving multiple squadrons.

DarkSign

Erudite
aweigh said:
How about being able to hire a henchman as extra muscle for fight-heavy quests? Or being able to hire a rogue-type before going spelunking. Like in NWN1, but without any personality whatsoever to the henchmen except for random comments during battle. For the eventual sequel, I mean. That way you'd avoid falling into the emo-trap of having to make up backstories and personalities for "party members", and still be able to make for some strategic set pieces involving multiple squadrons.

Joe, he'd have to add extra meaning and side quests and other goodies if he were to add that...seeing as how he's doing everything else first-rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom