Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Enjoying a lot the new Iron Maiden game, seems simplistic but has a lot of depth with its pokemon mechanics and its buying options seem more like a way to speed things up rather than grinding to get your minions powered up. The combat is fun, the graphics are nice and the music is fucking delightful
Taking a break from Souls and brain taxing stuff and this fits the bill perfevtly

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Been playing Witcher 1 mostly for the past couple of days. Fucking pissed away more than 200€ on the steam summer sale and I'm playing fucking Witcher ONE! Why? Played Witcher 3 for a couple hours, felt bad I didn't have a previous save to import anymore so... I'm making one now. Figure it ultimately doesn't matter much, still can't help myself. Gotta complete the shit out of this shit.

Beat Witcher 1, now already in the last chapter of Witcher 2.

TC Jr

Scholar
Nobunaga's Ambition on PS4.

First strategy game I've played like this (consolefag) so I'm still in the honeymoon period, it's addictive but there doesn't seem to be a lot of depth and the combat's a bit shit. These type of strategy games always for me anyway are only really fun at the start but the game becomes too samey as you go on, saying that though I can't quit playing.

Don't get nearly enough strategy/sim/rts type games on console, understandably why but it's still shit, waiting for X-COM 2.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
CoD 2: feels like a true successor to MoH: Allied Assault. Great run and gun gameplay set in mostly open environments. Corridors and talky set pieces would later run this series to the ground.
:4/5:
I think CoD2 was actually the point of no return for the whole series and all in all a terrible shooter. It introduced regenerating health in a supposedly historical setting, and even though almost everything took place outdoors, the missions felt claustrophobic because of how tightly scripted they were. There was no pacing or build-up to speak of, it was so "intense" all the time that it became incredibly monotonous almost instantly. The first CoD still had some small parts that had that Allied Assault feel, but CoD2 was where the cinematic approach took over and turned everything into shit. To me it felt exactly the same as Modern Warfare, and the only positive I could think of were the few missions in Africa just because of the change of scenery.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goddamn Warband and its variants.
Viking Conquest: probably where combat is most enjoyable, despite the "low-tech" setting. Very undeveloped bows and crossbows, a few axes, a few swords, and a mountainload of goddamn spears, which are the most potent weapons in the game simply because your only counter against that is a shield, which has its limitations. No matter the armor and character level, one-hit death by spear shot is always about. Keeps thing exciting, at least. Spreading rumours to kick your former companions out of their factions is vaguely satisfying though. Okay-ish ship battles. Less ship, more battle, actually.

With fire and sword: Seriously, where the fuck are the bandits? Scour the land high and low and you'll be lucky to find one or two. Alright combat, little clunky compared to Viking Conquest ( not much in formations except the number of rows you can form) but goddamn guns men.

Pendor: lol, still grinding melees for chump change. Really doesn't seem to be designed with dicking around in mind.

Blood and Gold Caribbean: Probably the mount and blade version of a monty haul, given how easily you can earn wealth favour and renown. The ranks you need to reach to expand your capabilities are a nice touch, whether you're a trader or a scrapper. Fights are fun, though there are some quirks to how land combat works with the restrictions you have in formations as well as limited flexibility of command. That said, ship-to-ship boarding battles are fun, what with all the swinging on ropes, climbing masts etc., going on, though it'll end bloody fast. Decent variety of equipment and stripper clubs, so it's not all bad.

BobtheTree

Savant
Picked up Until Dawn the other day and it's a delight. Love how it plays with horror tropes. I saw part of it coming, but they added so much more to the game than I expected and I have to say the foreshadowing in the game is so brilliant that I'm kinda shocked I didn't see it coming. Easily better than David Cage games even though I think they tend to get a bad rap.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still playing Disciples of Steel.
It is the best of CRPGs, it is the worst of CRPG, it is the CRPG with best combat, it is the CRPG with worst UI.
But overall I love it despite some very questionable design choices and extremely hard random encounters. Fortunately it's always (so far at least) possible to run from combat with most of the party still alive, so it's actually possible to play it Iron Man.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm playing 35MM right now, sort of a less frantic version of the Stalker series (there is little combat and few silly SF/horror elements like zombies or monsters trying to get at ya, concentrating more on an adventure game style). Very very linear but atmospheric and pays homage to the opening scenes of Tarkovsky's movie version of Stalker with a very long gas-powered handcar ride where you find yourself fascinated by the desolate & evocative landscape on either side of you. There are some neat scares.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
G

Blood and Gold Caribbean: Probably the mount and blade version of a monty haul, given how easily you can earn wealth favour and renown. The ranks you need to reach to expand your capabilities are a nice touch, whether you're a trader or a scrapper. Fights are fun, though there are some quirks to how land combat works with the restrictions you have in formations as well as limited flexibility of command. That said, ship-to-ship boarding battles are fun, what with all the swinging on ropes, climbing masts etc., going on, though it'll end bloody fast. Decent variety of equipment and stripper clubs, so it's not all bad.

This looks like great fun. I was bitterly disappointed with the Pirates of the Caribbean mods (i.e. New Horizons) where you board ships and face a pitiful. paltry crew of about 4 or 5 guys including the overweight captain. Love the idea of dozens of pirates just doing their own thing as they fight and die.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Played Grim Dawn, got tired of that and deleted it after hitting max level and being upset with game..

Now playing Battlefront, SC2, MKX, Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone as I have been doing for the past years

Jackalope

Arcane
Played The Room 2. If you don't know what it is, it's a game with a bunch of puzzleboxes you must somehow open. Plus a bit of Lovecraft in the form of strange letters and stuff. The problem is the puzzles aren't hard. But you must click on everything to find stuff like the tiny, tiny hole under the table where the tiny, tiny key is. Kinda short game, too.

Naraya

Arcane
I am currently at the end of the 4th act of my first playthrough of The Witcher. I played TW2:AoK EE like a year ago (got it for free from one of GOG's promos) and loved it, but somehow I always thought TW1 was inferior and not worth checking out after all these years. But oh boy was I wrong. The game is a masterpiece and every (A)RPG fan should play it at least once, IMO.

I'm amazed of the amount of content CDPR managed to squeeze in this game, as well as how well the graphics and gameplay hold up to this day. I don't often engage this deep in games anymore, reacting IRL with smile or anger when something happens. As for the performance, it is beautiful and the game is stable as a rock (I am playing using Return of the White Wolf Enhanced Edition mod) even though I "only" have GTX 670.

I have yet to play TW3. I plan to buy the definitive/enhanced/whatever edition when it comes out and I upgrade my PC to handle it in all its glory.

TL,DR: If you haven't played TW1 for some reason, do it - you won't be disappointed as this game's value for money is simply outrageous.

Modron

Arcane
It's so sad how many people fail to get the best witcher mod. Witcher 1's combat is basically watered down Summoner combat so if you didn't mind it definitely give that game a shot.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
G

This looks like great fun. I was bitterly disappointed with the Pirates of the Caribbean mods (i.e. New Horizons) where you board ships and face a pitiful. paltry crew of about 4 or 5 guys including the overweight captain. Love the idea of dozens of pirates just doing their own thing as they fight and die.
Well, it's alright really, but maybe screenshots'd give you a better idea. You do start off with 11-a-side, with reinforcements appearing as needed. You have the options to swing across, or a boarding plank, which is where bulk of the fighting will be. And the usual mop up is climbing up the crow's nest to beat down the asshole on top. That said, you might want to check out the new Sea dogs game as well, it is an improvement over PoTC etc., if your post is any indication, though it retains the swashbuckler style, whereas this is good ol' Mount and bled.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Beat Wizardry Proving Grounds. Had to grind out a ton of levels (first against floor one Murphy's Ghost and then against the various guardians on 10) at the end til I could cast Tiltowait with both my mages. First round v Werdna, cast Malikto (Word of Death, 7th lvl priest spell) and two blasts of Tiltowait (basically 7th level nuclear explosion). A vampire managed to drain two levels from one of my front-line samurai, but then all my spells went off and lol gg

Incredible game. Addicted now. Not in an aweigh sort-of-way (I was more or less leaving every treasure chest behind for the back half of the game). Just now I want to map everything. Really slows you down, focuses the mind.

Aside from the Wizardry series (and alikes), what are some other games that are really fun to map?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Been playing Witcher 1 mostly for the past couple of days. Fucking pissed away more than 200€ on the steam summer sale and I'm playing fucking Witcher ONE! Why? Played Witcher 3 for a couple hours, felt bad I didn't have a previous save to import anymore so... I'm making one now. Figure it ultimately doesn't matter much, still can't help myself. Gotta complete the shit out of this shit.

Beat Witcher 1, now already in the last chapter of Witcher 2.

This was the first time I actually played through Witcher 2.

Ended up sparing Henselt and letting both Síle and Letho go too.:D Felt a little odd at the end about doing that. Seems right now though. Did kill the elven chick that led me into a trap in Chapter 2 though!

Proper Witcher 3 time now!

iqzulk

Augur
It's so sad how many people fail to get the best witcher mod. Witcher 1's combat is basically watered down Summoner combat so if you didn't mind it definitely give that game a shot.
Actually, I think, Vagrant Story, being similar combat-wise to both aforementioned, is the clear winner in terms of how much was squeezed out of the concept. It was also the first of three to be released (although I doubt it influenced Summoner 1, there was only 8-month gap between those games, and Summoner 1 was already in development for a couple of years by the time of VS's release).
Also, in my personal book, Summoner 1 is an OK game with interesting mythology and majestic soundtrack (and is definitely much better than, say, Soulbringer or, say, Evil Islands), but I definitely recommend its sequel (PS2 and GameCube only) over it. Meaning: 1) try Summoner 1 if you don't have anything else to play; 2) if you don't dig it at all and decide to abandon it, still do try Summoner 2 (PS2 version); 3) if you have already played and completed Summoner 1 for whatever reason, definitely do give Summoner 2 a shot.

Last edited:

pippin

Got Deponia Doomsday yesterday so I'm currently playing through the Complete edition right now (Deponia 1+2+3).
I played those like two years ago. Completed Deponia 1 in one sitting actually, I almost know the game by heart and didn't had to use a walkthrough. Minigames felt less stupid this time around, especially the rail tracks one which was way simpler than what I remembered it to be, although the correct choice is still random iirc. It took me like 6 hours instead of 7, which was my original time according to Steam. Now I'm like two hours into the second game and managed to regain the love of one of Goal's aspects, the one that makes you fight the fighting minigame.

On the side I'm playing the first Hotline Miami again since I bought the second one during gog's sale. I finally managed to beat level 10 which was way simpler than what I thought it was (there's a pattern here it seems). Level 11 is good fun too. I love this game, the design is p. tight and I know the levels in 2 are not as good I don't care, I just want more HM.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Aside from the Wizardry series (and alikes), what are some other games that are really fun to map?
Bard's Tale trilogy, Dark Heart of Uukrul and Might and Magic 1 (well, 1-5 are all great, but 1's the only one without automap) are the most obvious ones. Dungeon Master and CSB too if you don't mind real-time. Eye of the Beholder might also work; EOB1 has some great level design.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm currently in the middle of quite a few playthroughs:

- Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut: haven't got the strength to finish it. I can't play for more than 30 minutes if I boot it up. Plus the game is ridiculously boring.
- Planescape Torment: as above, minus the boring part.
- The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut: as above.

The problem with these three games is that, as traditional RPGs (flamesuit on for The Witcher) you can't just pick them up after weeks of not playing them, unlike something like Skyrim. Especially in the case of Wasteland 2 and Torment.

- Morrowind: as above, though at least I play it much more frequently, and in my defense, I've already finished the game.
- Gothic 2 Gold: fucking performance issues I can't seem to fix prevent me from playing, hopefully ze germans of World of Gothic will offer a solution.
- Thief Gold: playing it every day. Sometimes I'm on the verge of uninstalling because of certain missions (undead), then I come across other missions (mansions) and I'm glad I didn't uninstall it.
- Fallout: New Vegas: playing it every day. This time it's a Legion playthrough (for the first time) and I will finish the game, something that I always forget to do (end up uninstalling at Hoover Dam and realize my error afterwards).

pippin

Completed Chaos In Deponia now. 10 hours instead of 12. This game is actually a modern adventure classic and everyone who likes the genre should play it. Good fun from start to finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom