Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Real Texas, an ultra-weird action-RPG inspired by Ultima and Zelda

kaizoku

Arcane
http://www.therealtexasgame.com/

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/261900/
GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/the_real_texas?as=1649904300

Just saw it on GOG

anyone played it?

Explore Strange, Texas: a Kafka-esque parody stuck halfway between modern-day America and olden-days, RPG England.
Zelda-style puzzles and action elements mixed with an Ultima-style RPG conversation trees and inventory system.
Lots of subquests, secrets to find, dungeons to delve, and townspeople to help.

found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbpWvPBk-LI&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have played it. I did not complete it though.

It is a very very strange game. Very interesting too. Gameplay wise, you can consider it between the mix of Ultima VI and Zelda III. I hope that makes sense. Dialog is being done by keywords with Name/Job/Topic + Type your own.

Story is strange. You end up in a parallel universe. I do not remember details, I remember being assaulted by parkmeters (with explicit dialog box saying "The parkmeter refuses to give your change back. It is being an asshole."), I remember a wizard who was a fan of wrestling who, when you defeat him, transforms into a gorilla with no reason. I remember some kind of bandit being specialed in chicken smuggling or something, and some kingpin having found a car and that "might run on gasoline, but of course, it's just a theory".

It. is. fucking. weird.

But it is good ! Seriously. Gameplay wise, it's all there. The novelty and attractiveness in this game is about how strange it is ; it's not Stanley Parable strange because there is a fun plot that manages to get quite scary somehow (David Lynch scary) while being a lot on the humor.

I realize this is a very confusing review, but if you play it, you'll see how confusing it is to try to explain what the story and universe are about, except they are very interesting. Gameplay is classic Zelda with some "Ultima" elements in it (non linearity, dialog system). Try it if you can get it cheaply. It's worth it.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
God I hated this game... Lots of people enjoyed it but I was not one of them. I thought it was totally stupid. To each his own I guess, since I am evidently in the minority here...

Name

Cipher
The game is very strange and personal.
One of the better Zelda clones though, cause the setting is really weird (and thus many puzzles).
Not a RPG in my opinion. There are sidequests and Ultima-style dialogue system, but it's still not an RPG.
Don't forget that kingpin and two other NPCs are actually from real life/history. And he's not a kingpin in our life. No spoiler here lol. It's supposed to be an ending twist or something. I don't know since the whole game is weird.

BobtheTree

Savant
Nice. I still haven't played this game even though I've owned it forever on GOG.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well hey, how about that.
I purchased the game ages ago - and one of these "little bothers" that made me stop playing was that it wasn't 60FPS. Well -
The game now runs at a higher framerate (60fps) and has some bugs fixed.

I think I'll start playing again.

ColCol

Arcane
What a coincidence! I just started playing this game again recently. I'm not sure how to feel about it yet. It has a nice ultima feeling but I feel that is mostly just set dressing and not really reflected into the game play in any meaningful way.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Why is this still in the rpg forum when it was stated it isn't an rpg but just a Zelda clone with some quests and dialogues?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom