Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Hearts of Iron 2!

bluecuracao

Novice
For thoses of you who don't know the game: Hearts of Iron 2 is an extremely complex WW2 simulation starting in January 1936, with Doomsday it will run until 1964 including the cold war. I added the excellent Compedium mod for a completely redone land and naval combat model, new tech trees, thousands (!) of new events with multiple historical and ahistorical choices for all nations, new pictures for ministers, technologies, brigades and generals, as well as countless other changes. I also use the wonderful DMP spritepack, because the original ones suck. :roll:

Technical details

Game: Hearts of Iron 2 + Expansion: Doomsday + Expansion: Armageddon
Mods: Compendium 0.9 + DMP 10.04

kkkkht0.jpg

zzzzhh7.jpg

So let's get started, here's your first choice, which country should we play? Please note that i propably won't play any of the major powers (USA, UK, SOV, GER, JAP) because they have too much borders/fronts/choices and this will quickly make it too confusing to follow.

aaaakl1.jpg

As you can see this leaves you with: France, Italy, Poland, Nationalist China or Canada to choose from. I've heard it's also possible to play any of the other minor countries, but since i have no idea how to select them, they are out. I'm not an expert in this game (only finished two playthroughs so far) so don't count on my gaming skills too much if you do stupid choices in the future. :wink:

Araanor

Liturgist
Rightclick on one of the flags to get more options in countries.

There's a bunch of fun stuff you can try with minors. See what difference you can make as Spain. Try and stop the soviet hordes with Finland. Italy has an interesting position, but it's nearly a major.

fastjack

Augur
re

yeah right click to choose any country.

i say italy since i just finished a book on the east africa campaign.

spacemoose

Erudite
go for argentina. they've got good tech teams and have the potential to grab all of south america before the war starts rolling in earnest. and then you've got the opportunity to stab the US while they're deployed in europe.

there won't be much excitement during the first half of the game as you gobble up the minors around you, but it would serve as a good "spectator" nation if you turn off the fog of war for updates to this thread. and once the US gets involved, the real fun begins

I've never tried the compendium mod, so I am very much looking forward to this

Marsal

Arcane
I vote Poland for our Polish friends on the Codex! You'll get a lot more public! But wouldn't that make for a very short game? Can you do anything to ZE GERMANS?

Please just don't take those pussy nations like France or Italy. If you take Argentina, the British will send a couple of ships and you're screwed ;)

bluecuracao

Novice
Ok, thanks to Araanor, here's the complete list of playable nations:

nationspu7.jpg

So far i've counted:

Finland: 2
Italy: 1
Argentina: 1
Poland: 1

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I pick Poland. You'll probably get crushed by the Germans and Russians.

Finland is boring. Besides the winter war there isn't much you can do.

spacemoose

Erudite
game will be pretty short if you go with poland. the best you could hope for is a defense that will stalemate the entire game and it would not be fun

I am warning you here!

bluecuracao

Novice
Spacemoose said:
game will be pretty short if you go with poland.

Yep, thats almost guaranteed, Poland is in a really bad position catched between the two super-aggressors Hitler and Stalin.. but hey, it's a democracy here so the majority decides and i'm always willing to restart with another nation if we die too early..

Cassidy

Arcane
Finland, because a recreation of the Winter War is more interesting and lengthy than being massacred by ridiculously superior enemy forces with no chances of winning.

bluecuracao

Novice
Finland: 3
Poland: 3
Ethiopia: 1
Brazil: 1
Italy: 1
Argentina: 1

I have to add, the winter war is done pretty extensive in compendium and has quite a lot of unique events.

Kendar

Novice
My vote goes for Finland as well, the winter war is really pretty passionating. Poland is trapped between two warmonger monsters and won't last long at all.

Marsal

Arcane
You do realize that resistance is futile, Finnish proponents? The Poles are coming...

fastjack

Augur
re

i guess i should try to come to italys case with an argument or two if it has any hope.

as italy you have a chance of influencing the war and making your own empire without being ridiculously powerful. (though i know people can conquer the world with even crappy countries like ireland).

also the italians did so poorly that we owe them a chance to actually participate in the war and get back some martial pride.

xrm1

Educated
Doesnt playing a successful poland break the German and Soviet AI? Or does that mod fix that?

I vote Italy

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Poland. Try to be a Kozak and get out of that shit position - I'm really interested if that is possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom