Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest 8

Andhaira

Arcane
its an amazing jrpg. Seriously, fans of Wizardry and MnM especiialy need to play this baby. Fantastic grafix, a sweet, warm and fuzzy story and simple yet good chacrter development makew this a can't miss title.

It took me around 40-50 hours to finish it. Only thing annoying is the random battles, but there are soooo many diff monsters/enemies out there that it doesn't get old.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could you post a link to some screenshots/feature-list to the game as I'm too lazy to look it up myself.

Starwars

Arcane
It's pretty standard jRPG fare, though a bit more old school I suppose than the later more storycentric and "cinematic" games. There's a *lot* of combat, and there were a number of times where I felt the need to "grind" exp

It's true though that it's got a nice fuzzy atmosphere to it. I also stayed with it until the end which doesn't happen happen often for me when it comes to jRPGs, so I guess it did something right.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Could you post a link to some screenshots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_8

Yangus01.jpg
Jessica01.jpg
Trode01.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Watched my roommate play this.

NO.

Yes, for a JRPG it has a lot of cool things

What it also has is grinding. SO MUCH of it. My roommate became bored of it after a few hours and cheated himself max HP. And the game was still a damn chore to get through with the tons of random encounters. Fuck no! Give me Final Fantasy IV anyday - at least there you don't have to grind, it's enough when you just never flee.

Andhaira

Arcane
You don't have top grind! I've finsihed this game and did not have to grind a bit.

Seriously, Wizardry 8 has more grinding that this.

Hory

Erudite
The art looks retarded, the artists must have been retarded to do this, and anyone who likes it must therefore be retarded as well. I remember that not even cartoons I watched when I was 6 year old looked so childish, maybe except for The Frutties.
fruttis1b.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Andhaira said:
You don't have top grind! I've finsihed this game and did not have to grind a bit.

Seriously, Wizardry 8 has more grinding that this.

No idea why you say that. Even the starting area enemies hit so hard you basically have to heal every second turn form what I saw, and it gets harder from there.

And grinding in Wizardry 8 gets you killed [!]. [Grinding: seeking out encounters on purpose for loot and XP in my personal definiton]

Andhaira

Arcane
yes Hory that is the fucking point. you have to play the game to understand, the art is part of its charm.

it also has a kick ass inventory system.

Andhaira

Arcane
The initial part of dq8 is the hardest, as your pc's get a few levels and learn certain skills the game becomes much more fun and you don't have to heal ewvery second.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
It's a decent game. I don't remember grinding though there was a time when I spent 45 mins hunting for king metal slimes. Each upped everyone at least once. Problem as I did what I many times do. Got to the last boss (or last dungeon) and lost the will to finish it.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I own the game but didn't get too far with it. I heard the story is pretty laid out for you from the beginning with no twists so I lost interest since I didn't want to be chasing after Dhoulmagus for forty hours.

Andhaira

Arcane
GUYS!!!

There is a HUGE twist in the game I assure you. Just play the fucking thing; the twist just comes out of nowhere and rally pulls you in.

Trust me, the alst dungeon (i.e. where you face dhoulmagus) is not what it seems by a long shot.

NoisyKillerHPB

Scholar
Drunken Irishman said:
And you still have to press x to move the dialog forward.
What the hell kind of complaint is that? Don't somewhere around 99.9999999% of RPG's have you click some button to advance dialogue?

Anyway I got bored to tears with the game after around 15 hours or so. It's probably the most bland game I've played on the PS2 to date, and the voice acting sucks cock of course. I hate the inventory (takes forever to move shit around and I'm just not a fan of having a party inventory and seperate character inventories, not a big deal but w/e). Item creation is pretty lame too. The game screams "fuzzy little kid's game" to me. Also, Dhoulmagus reminds me of the bad guy from Inspector Gadget for some reason so fuck him. >:0

When there is no choice involved in dialog it's better to have it has a non-interactive cutscene a la Final Fantasy 10 than to still require passively pressing x to move it forward.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This game is crap, probably the weakest DQ in a long time. Anyone who's really a fan of JRPG's and DQ in general recognizes that the best DQ's are 4 and 5, in that order, with maybe an honorable mention to the third one its many series-specific innovations. Out of all the recent PS2 JRPG's to come out, both Persona 3 and Final Fantasy 12 are superior efforts to DQ8.

Xi

Arcane
A friend lent me this game and Dark Cloud 2 for my PS2. Haven't had much time to play, but for the few hours I've put in, I thought it had great art direction. Cell Shading works wonders for PS2 technology. It's very easy on the eyes. The monsters and animations have a charm to them as well. Definitely aimed at a younger crowd I think, but I still thought it was done well enough that my interest was peaked.

Not sure if I will get through it or not though. I tend to put in some effort here and there so it may take me 6 months to get anywhere. Dark Cloud 2 is similar art wise as well. I don't know why you'd do it any differently on PS2 technology. This is as good as it gets.

Also, Dark Cloud 2 is a pretty interesting JARPG. Not too shabby, I'd recommend it to anyone that likes this style. These games aren't as lame as a lot of them are. They really do have some charm. /shrug

Xi

Arcane
Lestat said:
Wikipedia said:
Dark Cloud is a role-playing game in which the player travels around in randomly-generated dungeons, defeating monsters and collecting items.

Are you saying that you utilize Wikipedia to form your opinions? Honestly, good games if you own a console. I bought my PS2 as a DVD player and uise it mostly for this. The only game I own is God of War 2, which came with it, so every time I get one of these consolized RPGs I'm always pleasantly surprised to find out that some of them have some character and soul. There's a few diamonds in the rough. The trick is to stop expecting the freedom of a cRPG and then you have no anticipation to let you down. Plenty of bad ones, but a few good ones here and there. ;P

Wikipedia said:
Oblivion is a role-playing game in which the player travels around in boring hand-placed dungeons, defeating monsters and collecting items.

/shrug

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom