Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

crpgnut

Augur
I just started playing this game last week. I've started a witch and I'm just playing standard, not a league. I'm not into multiplayer in any game but this looks pretty decent as a standalone crpg. I've done the first 4-5 maps and really don't know what I'm doing :) It sounds like some of you folks have been playing it for years. I have noticed that depending on what you sell to the vendors, they seem to give items occasionally instead of scrap. I hope you don't mind a newb posting in your mega-thread :)

T. Reich

Arcane
We need more noobs posting in this thread.
So that we could give some firendly advice and whatnot.
And then you think that this game is great, and so are the players.
And then you become hooked, and from that moment on there's only one way down the slippery slope.

Welcome to PoE.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I just started playing this game last week. I've started a witch and I'm just playing standard, not a league. I'm not into multiplayer in any game but this looks pretty decent as a standalone crpg. I've done the first 4-5 maps and really don't know what I'm doing :) It sounds like some of you folks have been playing it for years. I have noticed that depending on what you sell to the vendors, they seem to give items occasionally instead of scrap. I hope you don't mind a newb posting in your mega-thread :)
This thing with vendors giving you interesting stuff when you sell them particular items is called "vendor recipes" and you can read more about it here on the wiki: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

And boy, there is a lot more for you to discover and learn about the game. Dont get discouraged by the amount of info there is to know. Most of it is learned organically through playing the game.

Also, your first build will suck anyway. The second one too, but a bit less. We've all been there.

I remember that I was happy when back in closed beta I managed to get over 1000 dps on my heavy strike! How little did I know...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair, there was a time when 1000dps was impressive. Merveil used to be the endgame :lol: Amazing how far along the game has come. I wonder what it'll look like 10 years from now.

And yeah, most useful stuff for you to know right away would be vendor recipes (the ones for making useful starter gear are nice if you don't want to trade) and the relative value of the currency drops. http://currency.poe.trade/ Should give you an idea of what is worth holding on to until later and what is worth spending as you level. Though if you don't want to learn that right now, a good rule of thumb is don't spend orbs you have less than 10 of. If you've found at least 10 of them, they're probably not that rare. Just run around and enjoy the novelty of new monsters and areas to stomp through for now, worry about efficiency and good builds later. Or never.

crpgnut

Augur
The game does seem complicated, but that will give me a reason to go back and try different witches. I always play a mage type, but with all the passives it looks like you could build at least half a dozen witches easily and I'm guessing it's more like 20+ legitimate builds. My gal is using the fireball and bouncing flame orb looking spell, but lightning and cold both look to have better lingering status effects than fire. Time will tell. You level quickly in this game it seems, so it shouldn't take too long to do two or three characters. I may level several at the same time, just swapping characters as I go along. Play a fire witch to 10, then switch to cold, then lightning, then chaos. I'll have to see what feels the most fun.

Yeesh

Magister
I played this back before there was an Act 3, then I came back for Prophesy but it turns out I'm old and useless and don't know what I'm doing at all. Now I'd like to try this racing that's coming up. What are some badass codexian cheat tips to help me win FIRST TRIES???

Damned Registrations

I played this back before there was an Act 3, then I came back for Prophesy but it turns out I'm old and useless and don't know what I'm doing at all. Now I'd like to try this racing that's coming up. What are some badass codexian cheat tips to help me win FIRST TRIES???
Basically don't kill any white mobs, and skip all side areas not needed for getting to the next act. Also be a korean and do all your inventory/gear management IDing etc. while walking from place to place, and get a Quicksilver flask ASAP (the exception to the 'don't do side areas' rule- theres a guaranteed one from the medicine chest) and spam it all the time. Thats the main points. You can do some other stuff, like learn map layouts, learn good timings to use the flask, count kills to see if it's worth killing a few white mobs to get another dose of green meth, but those are the main points.

J/K just find some OP low level items and boots and maybe some accel shrines along the way and win by pure RNG.

crpgnut

Augur
I've moved over to the prophecy league after freeing the scion. I purposely didn't finish Act IV, so that I would have new material towards the end. I don't know if I'll ever play the maps, but maybe. I really like the characters the best when they are lower-leveled. Once you hit level 30-ish all the classes start to feel the same. That could be me though, because I try to turn everyone into a wand wielding blaster person :) I'm trying to turn my scion into a witch and am racing that direction from two paths. It's been a lot of fun so far, though the scion is much squishier than my witch. The witch just kills faster and her drops seem to give a lot more energy shield items.

Damned Registrations

Waiting for someone rich to do a showcase with like 20 of the jewels that give AoE while unarmed. Could probably hit 400% with perfect rolls and some other sources of AoE. Was considering making a build like that myself actually; Scion gets the first 9 jewels as basically freebies, which would still be a ton of AoE on an otherwise normal build. Have to go without a weapon too, but still. Could work for something like ball lightning or maybe ice crash with facebreakers, as was obviously intended. Or maybe try to really cheese it out and get to the point vaal ice nova can clear a map for you.

Actually, that gave me an idea, though it'd probably crash pretty much any computer. I saw a guy with a weird build that was based on vacuuming enemies together and then running a ghost over them for MF purposes; you could do the same thing except instead of ghosting them just pop vaal ice nova and kill them all at once. ~100 monsters would mean what, 501 casts of the spell, assuming they're kept tight enough to all hit eachother? Boom. All you'd really need would be added chaos damage on a lvl 1 nova to make it an auto kill safe from reflect. And the vacuuming part would be cake with that much AoE... :hmm:

Also, 500 casts is conservative, under the assumption each monsters can trigger 5 casts at the most. If instead it means the spell gets 5 generations of propagation (and I suspect it actually works this way, it seems to utterly wreck even smallish packs of 15-20 mobs with a lvl 1 gem and no spell damage), you'd get 100^5 casts... ~10 billion? RIP server.

Damned Registrations

Speaking of fucking one shot kills...

Jesus fucking christ. Rare mob that killed me near the end of the race: empowered as kin slain, extra cold damage, flicker strike, powerful crits. Lulz.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh thats fucking lame.
Its limited for this very reason. People would stack them to high heaven if it wasnt limited. And they would have not a screen size aoe but two screen, or whatever is the limit for active mobs.

Also, the thing with sucking monsters to one place and ghosting them, is called ghostbusting, and started a few leagues ago, was very popular when it started, and if it didnt crash you computer, it gave nice returns.

Padre

Liturgist
I've tried racing 2 days ago. The mod was 'Exiles everywhere'.

My first 3 chars died in the Coast due to Xandro. Finished the race (which lasted for 1 hour) at lvl 12, almost reaching Brutus.

My main mistake was picking Witch and Freezing Pulse as my main spell. It really doesn't work well against Exiles. Wanna know what works wonders? SRS. God damn they would all melt, Igna and Xandro included, under this spell. Another plus is, this is a fire and forget minion.

All in all a very fun race. Someone got to lvl 25 and almost reached Vaal I think. Ppl have some mad skills in this game

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, you did much better than me :D.

I went with an ezmode viper strike shadow and dit the usual exiles everywhere routine of farming the shit out of coast for full yellow gear for my char.
Then I overestimated myself in mud flats. I could handle 3-4 exiles at once already, but 6-7 turned out a bit too much. D:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
That was a fun race. My two first chars died on coast but third one reached the chamber of sins. I spend way too much time on exiles at first and that cost me a couple of levels. But I could have done way better if I had item filter ready for low levels.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, there are some fun races, like exiles everywhere, endless ledge, Headhunter races, and the one where you race inside a dungeon and you get a chest of stuff at the start of each map.

I would even play some of them, but I keep having real life stuff to take care, or I am not willing to wake up at 7:00 am to race.

Padre

Liturgist
I've tried the BLMST Izaro Kill race yesterday. Dunno what the fuck happened. Spent 10 minutes before I was able to kill Hillok - at first, he one shotted my Templar. After 3 hours, 10 chars, I've hit a wall at the climb. Fucking goatmen get me everytime. I've even tried using taunt totem but it dies in 2 hits and then it's rape time.

Gonna try again today. Will try to farm submerged passage - most mobs there are quite slow and not that lethal. Unless I encounter another rare with a speed aura- it usually one shots me.

Highest char I had was lvl 10 marauder. Died to a fireball goatmen crit.

I highly recommend you try this race. It's roguelike as fuck. And lots of fun too.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The new league will be announced in around 3h.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom