Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are these RPGs worth a try?

Andhaira

Arcane
You could always combine all the games and play one giant mishy mashy game.

copy gothic 1, 2, arcanum and Divine Divinity into one folder and then click start.

Enjoy.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I never bothered with blocking in the Gothic games anyway...
But if you didn't like G1 I don't see any reason why you would like G2 any better.

Got bored with Overlord after two days.

The only good thing in TQ were the tales, imho.

Played neither DD nor fable.

Sacred was a nice Diablo clone but the world was too large an the story too uninvolving. After a week of more or less aimless roaming I stopped playing.

1eyedking

Erudite
I just finished Gothic 1.

The first half of the game was very entertaining; the second half reminded me of Zelda. Nevertheless, it left a very good impression overall: the setting was fresh, the characters believable (both in personality and behavior), the combat was challenging and stratified, and the quest rewards fitting. For the record, I joined the Old Camp and became a Fire Mage (at least for a good while). I regret the latter decision: magic can be interrupted whereas melee cannot, making for some very frustrating moments in a couple of fights.

I've moved on to Gothic 2+Night of the Raven. So far I've finished the majority of quests in Khorinis, and have decided to pay Onar's farm a visit. I'm having trouble deciding what faction to join, more so than in the first game.

One question: is the mage more powerful in this sequel? My character is level 8 and has about 60 saved learning points, so I'm still open for any kind of suggestions!

1eyedking

Erudite
Andhaira said:
Dude, just be a warrior-mage. They rock!!
The expansion pack has made hybrids an impossible take. Furthermore...
...choosing the Paladin path makes magic-enhancing stats more expensive. Access to spells is severely limited.
...choosing the Fire Mage path makes melee-enhancing stats more expensive. Access to armor and weapons is severely limited.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Just have in mind that the fights in G2+night of the raven are actually harder than G2 alone. I'll suggest focusing in your classes main attributes and not try to make an all-around char.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Drunken Irishman said:
Sir_Brennus said:
Divine Divinity - Top of the crop: U7 with an intelligent combat system (pausable!) and very much attention to detail. There are still some bugs in it an the last act is combat only, but it gets my recommendation

Wait! What? How Ultima 7 are we talking about? Detailed npc schedules? Bake bread? Interactivity? Every npc an individual person? Is it the second coming I've been waiting for and somehow missed?

DD captured a lot from U7 feeling. You could not bake bread but it you could fill mugs from barrels of beer, lit candles. mix items and such other minor details. The world map is just like in Ultima 7, a single huge area where you can go anywhere. The problem with DD is the combat, because there is a lot of it, and besides the frantically real time combat, it is also unblanced. While at the begining every single orc could kill you in two seconds, after 20 levels and a sword or something *of frost*, nothing stands in your way, so combat becomes trivial and an unnecessary waste of time. And some area bosses are ridiculous strong in some places, because drawn by your retreat, can wipe entire towns full of NPCs, wonder why waiting outside a city if they could conquer alone the whole map.

Binary

Liturgist
DD could have been way better:

1) If it were party based
2) Without the starting dungeon
3) A little less combat and more plot - or at least a slightly better combat system.

As it is, it's still a good game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Binary said:
DD could have been way better:

1) If it were party based
2) Without the starting dungeon
3) A little less combat and more plot - or at least a slightly better combat system.

As it is, it's still a good game.

The problem is that Diablo-esque hacking combat and horde of enemies is shit. Period.

dragonfk

Erudite
1eyedking said:
I've moved on to Gothic 2+Night of the Raven. So far I've finished the majority of quests in Khorinis, and have decided to pay Onar's farm a visit. I'm having trouble deciding what faction to join, more so than in the first game.

One question: is the mage more powerful in this sequel? My character is level 8 and has about 60 saved learning points, so I'm still open for any kind of suggestions!

From my experiences:

playing a mage: God its a horrid( espescially if you play with the addon, and you do) at first lvls. Then with higher lvl spells you can send Armageddon to your enemies. There is nothing more pretty when around 40 orcs are chasing you and you send them hello with Firestorm. And then experience keep raining :) .

playing warrior type: its easier altogether: easier in first lvls than for mage, harder at end of the game(but still nothing can stop you).

1eyedking

Erudite
Guess I'll stick to my homies and go Mercenary on the orcses' ass. I wish they had emphasized the 'this guy saved us from the barrier he's a fucking hero' element a bit more.

I'll keep the mage for a later replay. Oh yes, I'm definitely going to replay this series, both games fucking rule.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1eyedking said:
Guess I'll stick to my homies and go Mercenary on their ass. I wish they had emphasized the 'this guy saved us from the barrier he's a fucking hero' element a bit more.

I'll keep the mage for a later replay. Oh yes, I'm definitely going to replay this series, they fucking rule.

Also be sure to play a paladin once. They get some great armor in the end and a nice two-handed sword [both at a secret location somewhere in the mage temple I guess, but I forgot... long ago that I last played the Gothics].

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I think Playing a paladin is the best way to experience both melee and magic and have a relatively easy playthrough.

Rancen

Educated
I will be short:
Sacred - shit
TQ - crap
Gothic I - 9\10
Gothic II+NotR - 9.5\10

[Jez]

Novice
- Fable: The Lost Chapters - Not very good
- Sacred + Underworld - An okay Diablo clone, but I got board of it within hours
- Titan Quest + Immortal Throne - Never tried it, didn't appeal to me
- Divine Divinity - Apart from the start and the end, quite good
- Gothic 1 & 2 - The best in this list imo
- Overlord + Rising Hell (actually an RPG?) - Not too bad, more of an action game than a RPG tho, never tried the expanstion

Andhaira

Arcane
Wait, the paladin in gothic two is a warrior mage? How dop you become one, and how does his magic and melee compare to the wizard and the warrior?

Andhaira said:
Wait, the paladin in gothic two is a warrior mage? How dop you become one, and how does his magic and melee compare to the wizard and the warrior?
I've never played NotR (because it wasn't released here) but I have played vanilla G 2 with the three archetypes and paladin is essentially easy mode, mage is medium and dragonhunter is hard. To become a paladin you need to join the militia and get promoted through the ranks. However I wouldn't describe the class as a warrior mage; paladin magic is very limited and isn't available until relatively late in the game. It’s more like the traditional RPG paladin: a warrior with some support spells.

1eyedking

Erudite
I decided to go for a paladin. A paladin that is a member of the Thieves Guild, has mugged people on occasion, and has had his share of fun at the local brothel. But whatever, no one said I wasn't lying when swearing those oaths. I'm just there for their armor and the Eye of Innos.

I'm level 20, have explored every niche and corner of Khorinis, and am about to enter Chapter 2. Wish me luck!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
1eyedking said:
I decided to go for a paladin. A paladin that is a member of the Thieves Guild, has mugged people on occasion, and has had his share of fun at the local brothel. But whatever, no one said I wasn't lying when swearing those oaths. I'm just there for their armor and the Eye of Innos.

I'm level 20, have explored every niche and corner of Khorinis, and am about to enter Chapter 2. Wish me luck!

If that's the chapter where you enter the valley of mines[or how it was called]... good luck, you might need it if you meet some orc mobs. They can be pretty nasty in the beginning, especially when accompanied by one of their warlocks.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well in g2-NotR fighting an orc early on , involves trying to get a hit then run the hell away, then try to get another hit and so on, and pray the orc doesn't hit you more than two times. Shit, the first time I ventured into the hills and met an orc by mistake, he slashed me in half with one hit. If you manage to get a good sword hidden in some cave (I can't remember exactly where it was) things will get easier. Also I think that you can lure on orc near the town guards, let them deal with it and get his sword, which is really good for the start of the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
ghostdog said:
Well in g2-NotR fighting an orc early on , involves trying to get a hit then run the hell away, then try to get another hit and so on, and pray the orc doesn't hit you more than two times. Shit, the first time I ventured into the hills and met an orc by mistake, he slashed me in half with one hit. If you manage to get a good sword hidden in some cave (I can't remember exactly where it was) things will get easier. Also I think that you can lure on orc near the town guards, let them deal with it and get his sword, which is really good for the start of the game.

I did actually manage to kill an orc with nicely timed blocking and slashing. Boy was that hard. When he got a hit, he almost took half my health.

Fez

Erudite
Around the start of Gothic 3 you can cheat infinite money by getting on the good side of one of the early towns with orcs and then hitting the gate guard once and then immediately putting your weapon away when he's angry. Repeat this until he falls unconscious. Rob him. When he wakes up he will pull a weapon out of his ass. Start the beating once again. When you finally get bored of this you can sell the weapons off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom