Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Probably your graphics card/drivers. Games like this that aren't super popular tend to become more or less glitchy with time, because newer drivers and cards keep getting fucked with / optimised for newer and newer games, so that they don't work properly for some of the older games after a while. If Gothic weren't more than a couple of years old, I'd recommend using older drivers.

I asked for help at the World of Gothic forum, hopefully someone will offer an answer. I never expected to have these kind of issues with a 10+ year old game. :(

bloodlover

Arcane
I don't want to necro aeons old threads so I'll just ask here: For G1, 1h or 2h weapons? I liked the 2h ones in G2 but they swing rather low and I suspect they come rather late in G1. Not exactly sure who to join yet, I am still derping around and getting my ass kicked.

Kahr

Yeah, good 2h weapons come in the later chapters (I think 4 onward). But you will have enough LP to master both if you want.
You're right now at the hardest part of the game, it just gets easier from there. Later on you will have plenty of LP so it won't really matter.
So just try to master 1h weapons, if you want to have a easier life right now.

subotaiy

Cipher
From what I remember, in the first game, 2-handed is more of an improvement over the 1handed path. It may be possible that it actually requires learning it first, though I maybe wrong on that.

Kahr

If you join the Old or Swamp Camp you have to master 1h first.
New Camp can learn it from start, but there's a lack of good 2h weapons in the beginning.

sullynathan

Arcane
In G1 use 2 handed weapons, they swing as fast as 1 handed but do more damage.

In G2, try both. 1h swings a lot faster and there are strong 1h weapons

Got bored and left

In G1, I always started with one-handed weapons and transitioned to two-handers later on, 'cause I think they get objectively better. I'm relatively sure you can master (or at least become very good at) both anyway, if I recall correctly.

T. Reich

Arcane
G1: 2h is absolutely better than 1h - better damage and crit chance, the endgame weapon that is pretty much required to be used in the last chapter is 2h. Learning 2h requires at least 1 rank in 1h. Most logical way is to use 1h for the first 2 chapters, then use 2h from ch3+ when it becomes available. Same with xbows vs bows - no reason to use bows later on in G1.

G2: all weapon skills are balanced vs each other, there is no definitely best weapon type for the game, each one is endgame-viable. All weapon types can be taught and bought/used in chapter 1 already.

nomask7

Arcane
G2: all weapon skills are balanced vs each other, there is no definitely best weapon type for the game, each one is endgame-viable. All weapon types can be taught and bought/used in chapter 1 already.

I'd recall that bows do a lot more damage per second than crossbows, I mean they at least seem to work a lot better against dragons that have high hp regen, not 100% sure why that is.

I also suspect the best two-handed melee weapon(s) is better against the dragons than any one-handed, but I'm not sure. Heck, could be the other way around, it's been so long and I didn't figure out this stuff properly.

You're right though that other than the dragons, you probably don't need to worry about which weapon types to use in G2: NotR.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
you probably don't need to worry about which weapon types to use in G2: NotR.
Pretty much. 1h will still win you the game easily, it's just that the reach of 2h is what makes them superior, though i found the speed of 1h really nice for side to side attacks, you could almost stun lock if you're quick enough. Bows and crossbows are both good as well for ranged, it really doesn't matter which one you use, lock target and click like a mad man.

T. Reich

Arcane

I'd recall that bows do a lot more damage per second than crossbows, I mean they at least seem to work a lot better against dragons that have high hp regen, not 100% sure why that is.

I also suspect the best two-handed melee weapon(s) is better against the dragons than any one-handed, but I'm not sure. Heck, could be the other way around, it's been so long and I didn't figure out this stuff properly.

You're right though that other than the dragons, you probably don't need to worry about which weapon types to use in G2: NotR.

Bows only do more damage than xbows if you pump dex like crazy. Xbows are pretty much a str-based player's ranged weapon of choice. Usually best when paired with a 2h mercenary who doesn't use magic and can pump str like crazy with leftover points going for dex.
You can still do a dex-based char with xbows though, because the best xbow (200 dmg) has only a 75 str requirement.
Anyways, in the end of the game for a ranged char it all boils down to how many shots you need to take down a single orc warrior and a single orc warlord. As long as your shots don't "waste" any damage (like shooting an orc 3 times and leaving it with a sliver of health that requires a 4th shot), you're good.

One's pretty damn suicidal if they try to use any sort of melee weapons vs dragons. The dragon fights' design is super shitty, and the best weapon against any dragon is a summon demon spell scroll. Bows come in second, but not a close second.

nomask7

Arcane
Bows only do more damage than xbows if you pump dex like crazy. Xbows are pretty much a str-based player's ranged weapon of choice. Usually best when paired with a 2h mercenary who doesn't use magic and can pump str like crazy with leftover points going for dex.
You can still do a dex-based char with xbows though, because the best xbow (200 dmg) has only a 75 str requirement.
Anyways, in the end of the game for a ranged char it all boils down to how many shots you need to take down a single orc warrior and a single orc warlord. As long as your shots don't "waste" any damage (like shooting an orc 3 times and leaving it with a sliver of health that requires a 4th shot), you're good.

One's pretty damn suicidal if they try to use any sort of melee weapons vs dragons. The dragon fights' design is super shitty, and the best weapon against any dragon is a summon demon spell scroll. Bows come in second, but not a close second.

I was talking about comparable - but quite high - strength/dex investment. I couldn't even begin to take down dragons with a crossbow strength-based character, but with a dexterity-based character who used a bow it was like stealing a candy from a child.

throwaway

Cipher
Any German posters frequenting WoG around here that know wtf happened to the developer of the DX11 renderer?

throwaway

Cipher
I just checked the German forums and he's posting again. The latest build came out 2 months ago here https://github.com/degenerated1123/GD3D11/tree/master/PreviewBuilds
That inspired me to do some more research. Apparently he's been attempting, all by himself from what I gather, an "OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine".

The project is titled REGoth and it somehow flew under the radar of all the usual places where I'd stumble upon such news.

It looks pretty ambitious but given how long OpenMW has taken this must have a similar ETA to the CSP.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I just checked the German forums and he's posting again. The latest build came out 2 months ago here https://github.com/degenerated1123/GD3D11/tree/master/PreviewBuilds
That inspired me to do some more research. Apparently he's been attempting, all by himself from what I gather, an "OpenSource-Reimplementation of the zEngine".

The project is titled REGoth and it somehow flew under the radar of all the usual places where I'd stumble upon such news.

It looks pretty ambitious but given how long OpenMW has taken this must have a similar ETA to the CSP.
This is also quite an ambitious one - they have been working on it for quite some time though. I've been checking it yearly, progress is slow, but they are moving along...
http://www.gothic-reloaded-mod.de/?page=home&lang=en

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
G1: 2h is absolutely better than 1h - better damage and crit chance, the endgame weapon that is pretty much required to be used in the last chapter is 2h. Learning 2h requires at least 1 rank in 1h. Most logical way is to use 1h for the first 2 chapters, then use 2h from ch3+ when it becomes available. Same with xbows vs bows - no reason to use bows later on in G1.

While 2h has an obvious advantage in range and power 1h is much faster, easier to do combos/has more fluid swings and you can get the best 1hander fairly early in the game (especially if you choose the Old Camp). Of course, you're forced to use 2H in the end (unless you're a mage obviously) but by then you'll have enough SP to master it (though trained is doable as well).

Crossbows are more lethal (and as with 1h weapons you can get the best one fairly early) but bows shoot faster and can interrupt attacks from enemy ranged users more easily.

As much as I prefer melee builds, archers and mages are much stronger than any melee user (1h or 2h) by the end in Gothic 2 even without taking cheesy dragons into account.

Kraszu

Prophet
At first your love was nice and all, then you were happy as fuck, then random shit started happening and a couple of years later your lifelong love raped you in the butt with a 12-inch dildo so hard it took you several years to stitch it together and sign up on Codex?

Nah. I mean I got Gothic 3 when it came out, and couldn't even run it normally, then saw what they did to my beloved G1/2 combat and uninstalled, so I know what you mean, but G1 and 2 will forever make Gothic a term of endearment in my heart. Piranha Bytes and whatever Indian company they outsource their stuff to next can make Gothics 5 through 10 where each one gradually makes everything closer to Morrowind, and I would still sigh as if after a good meal/sex when I heard Gothic.

You should check out the community patch, they did improve combat, and balance (alternative balance), you can't just left click enemies to death anymore, you need to time your attacks right, and fight a good opportunity to attack. And G3 is a flawed game, the faction system (reputation with different sides) is great.

nomask7

Arcane
Have these fixes been posted yet?

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

If anyone is having trouble running these games on modern rigs or is experiencing glitches, these may help. Of particular note is the fix for the notorious Nvidia glitches in Gothic 2. I guess I can finally stop avoiding Nvidia graphics cards.

EDIT: HAHA. Of course they were posted, I should have checked. Why didn't I look into these when they were linked? Mysterious.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Found these on ebay, bought one immediately :lol: The seller only seems to post one of each at a time, replaces listings after a day.

The level of detail is what made it hard for me to resist, really impressive.

US $17.00

(seller is in Russia - shipping may take a while)

Link: White Bronze

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Link: Bronze :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom