Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

I don't know how it is now, but Blizzard gave you a lot of freedom back in the day, both in talent build experimentation and in general being able to slaughter any NPC and PC that you wanted with little to no repercussions. It was great making small raiding groups and going to towns like crossroads or astranar and just locking the whole area down, which would eventually be the catalyst for a massive outdoor pvp brawl involving hundreds of players that would go on for hours, Tarren mill/South shore was always the worst. This was also what made the social aspect of WoW great cause you would make friends with other players by doing stuff like this, and obviously it's always the most fun doing anything in WoW with your bro's, especially PvP indoor or out.

aw man
:singletear:

yeye

Augur
Vanilla era PvP = teams of raiders rolling pugs in battlegrounds.

The problem with vanilla era bg's was that only raider gear got upgraded over time. With lfr and pvp seasonal ilvl upgrades coming with new raid tiers there was never a situation where raiders were gods wearing two times the stats of everyone else like vanilla. So resilience basically made raiders grind pvp as well as raid if they wanted to be able to walk into a bg or arena. I sure as fuck didn't bother anymore back when I played in wotlk.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The problem with vanilla era bg's was that only raider gear got upgraded over time.
Your memory fails you. Patch 1.6 (BWL) buffed the R14 melee weapons to such level that they weren't elipsed until C'thun / Naxx stuff. Patch 1.9 introduced plenty of good quality craftable gear which didn't require raiding and patch 1.10 (or was it 1.11) introduced PvP caster and healing gear. Dungeon blues were also buffed at one point. So no, even if you didn't do a single raid, just dungeons and PvP, your gear did get better.

yeye

Augur
I remember all that. The grand marshal gear was good yeah but the system for getting it was so atrocious, it was harder to get that weapon than raid gear. The welfare craftables that came later did help but the damage was done as pretty much everyone remembers vanilla pvp by how it looked during BWL. At least that's my impression from this thread and elsewhere.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, I don't know anyone in my guild / group of friends who went past rank 10 (even that was pushing it) except for one crazy outlier. I personally got to rank 9 and that was as far as I could go, even with spending 90+% of my ingame time pvping with premades that played to win.

One of my guildies got to r12 and burned out on the game really badly after that, and another guildie got to r10 and basically quit PVPing after that too. Another guildie left the guild to join another guild dedicated to pvp ranking, gave up basically most of his RL to push for Grand Marshal and eventually did it... but it was a horrible grind.

A typical example of a mid/late-vanilla PVP engagement was my warrior in blue pvp gloves/chest/legs, AB shoulders and belt (I think), WSG bracers, crafted epic helm and a TUF with weapon chain against some dude in BWL or even AQ40 gear and a Sulfuras (substitute Ashkandi, BRE, or something similar if you want... don't want to think about Might of Menethil-level shit). I did all the tricks in the book: jousting, kiting, disarming (lol what's a weapon chain), staying behind him as much as possible -- he still gibbed me effortlessly. gg wp! edit: I never got anything better than a TUF before BC, either.

imo the only time pvp and -especially- world pvp was 'decent' in WOW was in BC before Black Temple got released and people got glaives and 4-piece t6.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know anyone in my guild / group of friends who went past rank 10 (even that was pushing it) except for one crazy outlier. I personally got to rank 9 and that was as far as I could go, even with spending 90+% of my ingame time pvping with premades that played to win.

One of my guildies got to r12 and burned out on the game really badly after that, and another guildie got to r10 and basically quit PVPing after that too. Another guildie left the guild to join another guild dedicated to pvp ranking, gave up basically most of his RL to push for Grand Marshal and eventually did it... but it was a horrible grind.

A typical example of a mid/late-vanilla PVP engagement was my warrior in blue pvp gloves/chest/legs, AB shoulders and belt (I think), WSG bracers, crafted epic helm and a TUF with weapon chain against some dude in BWL or even AQ40 gear and a Sulfuras (substitute Ashkandi, BRE, or something similar if you want... don't want to think about Might of Menethil-level shit). I did all the tricks in the book: jousting, kiting, disarming (lol what's a weapon chain), staying behind him as much as possible -- he still gibbed me effortlessly. gg wp! edit: I never got anything better than a TUF before BC, either.

imo the only time pvp and -especially- world pvp was 'decent' in WOW was in BC before Black Temple got released and people got glaives and 4-piece t6.

Yeah you were playing a warrior though, the most gear dependent class of all time.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Exactly. It wasn't nearly as bad as that for casters. And similarly - you could have a shit gear even as a warrior but if you had a decent pocket healer, you still won all the battles.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
you could have a shit gear even as a warrior but if you had a decent pocket healer, you still won all the battles.
Not if your're a terrible warrior, especially post-enrage nerf. Pre-enrage nerf? hell...if you were half-decent all you needed was valor gear and arcanite reaper. Though, most warriors were garbage and didn't even know how to fucking stance dance.

I can't remember if blizzard released the unstoppable force and don julio's pre or post enrage nerf cause i remember getting 1800+ MS crits and 1300 white crits with just internal buffs with valor and reaper, but that was pre-enrage nerf. Never hit that hard again after the enrage nerf even with TuF and R13 gear, only against super under geared cloth classes. The enrage nerf was a big blow to the warrior class, along with the weapon normalization nerf, anything less than a TuF and decent off pieces (+5% to hit is an absolute must as well or enjoy those 3.8 speed white/yellow misses) by the time second quarter 2006 came along you were in for a mighty struggle in BG's regardless how good you thought you are if you were that under geared. TuF and Don Julio's band was a blessing, and very much needed.
WoW PvP has always been shitty and unbalanced.
More than anything, it wasn't the classes that made Vanilla WoW pvp unbalanced, it was the horrible itemization on blizzards part, you throw in the gear gap between raiders and non raiders and yea that shit was a joke. Blizzard didn't really smarten up until tier 2.5 and even still with some classes it was dumb, like +spell damage for hunters? Wtf were they thinking? Gotta buff that arcane shot damage and mend pet 0_o.

In the end i do agree with you somewhat that it was not the most balanced, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I just don't understand why you're so bitter with it, did you even play on a pvp server? Were you corpse camped a lot or something? Are you just a bad player? It's ok if you're shit Metro, nobody's perfect :smug:.

Vanilla WoW pvp was 60% gear and 40% skill, with low skill caps in general, Mage had the highest skill cap imo, than warlock and than the rest. Honestly, any half-witted simpleton could be a pro easily with Vanilla WoW pvp, but 90% just didn't bother or could care less.
crafted epic helm
Lionheart Helm. I remember seeing soooo many warriors with that head piece, not a very good helm for pvp, but if you weren't hit capped...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shooters are not an option for me, I hate shooters and also suck at them. Unbalanced or not, WoW PvP has the perfect feel for me with the equip progression, teamplay, getting better and gaining advantages due to being creative with gear and your skills, etc

unfortunately with all the ability pruning pvp becomes more and more static.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Anyone pining for vanilla PVP is a liar scrub pretending to be MLG. The kind of people that got deep into the old system are now all dead from deep vein thrombosis and heart disease.

Revenant

So, they removed the action camera, in a patch that dropped mid-day Wednesday, just because some people turned it on, got nauseated and didn't know how to turn it off :prosper:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
you could have a shit gear even as a warrior but if you had a decent pocket healer, you still won all the battles.
Not if your're a terrible warrior, especially post-enrage nerf. Pre-enrage nerf? hell...if you were half-decent all you needed was valor gear and arcanite reaper. Though, most warriors were garbage and didn't even know how to fucking stance dance.

I can't remember if blizzard released the unstoppable force and don julio's pre or post enrage nerf cause i remember getting 1800+ MS crits and 1300 white crits with just internal buffs with valor and reaper, but that was pre-enrage nerf. Never hit that hard again after the enrage nerf even with TuF and R13 gear, only against super under geared cloth classes. The enrage nerf was a big blow to the warrior class, along with the weapon normalization nerf, anything less than a TuF and decent off pieces (+5% to hit is an absolute must as well or enjoy those 3.8 speed white/yellow misses) by the time second quarter 2006 came along you were in for a mighty struggle in BG's regardless how good you thought you are if you were that under geared. TuF and Don Julio's band was a blessing, and very much needed.
WoW PvP has always been shitty and unbalanced.
More than anything, it wasn't the classes that made Vanilla WoW pvp unbalanced, it was the horrible itemization on blizzards part, you throw in the gear gap between raiders and non raiders and yea that shit was a joke. Blizzard didn't really smarten up until tier 2.5 and even still with some classes it was dumb, like +spell damage for hunters? Wtf were they thinking? Gotta buff that arcane shot damage and mend pet 0_o.

In the end i do agree with you somewhat that it was not the most balanced, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I just don't understand why you're so bitter with it, did you even play on a pvp server? Were you corpse camped a lot or something? Are you just a bad player? It's ok if you're shit Metro, nobody's perfect :smug:.

Vanilla WoW pvp was 60% gear and 40% skill, with low skill caps in general, Mage had the highest skill cap imo, than warlock and than the rest. Honestly, any half-witted simpleton could be a pro easily with Vanilla WoW pvp, but 90% just didn't bother or could care less.
crafted epic helm
Lionheart Helm. I remember seeing soooo many warriors with that head piece, not a very good helm for pvp, but if you weren't hit capped...
I'm just stating the facts because I played Vanilla WoW. A lot of people seem to either have not or intentionally cloud their impressions of how it really played.

Puukko

Arcane
How about them transmogs.

yST7T68.jpg

This is the only full set I currently have. Might look for a more vanilla leather set if there's one that's HD enough.

Revenant

Since there were like 3 people interested in a Codexian guild and some of them were from an incompatible region, I just created a guild named "The Codex" on my server, The Maelstrom/EU. If anyone feels like joining, PM me on the 'dex and I'll invite you when you'll be online. If anyone wants to level an alt instead of transfering, I'll do my best to boost you to level 100 before Legion hits.

Angthoron

Arcane
I have my own guild on The Sha'tar/EU, but if you feel like partying up some time (and are at least semi-sane), hit me up in PMs for contact info.

Prolly going to be running with Ret paladin this expac, I'm actually getting accustomed and hating it less now.

Revenant

Would transfer if yours wasn't a carebear server... The absence of world PvP (read: ganking) just doesn't feel right to me. Protection paladin here (tanks are the only good raid leaders lol). If the guild doesn't take off, I'll let you know... Though in the worst case Legion should offer plenty of content for solo players.

Angthoron

Arcane
Would transfer if yours wasn't a carebear server... The absence of world PvP (read: ganking) just doesn't feel right to me. Protection paladin here (tanks are the only good raid leaders lol). If the guild doesn't take off, I'll let you know... Though in the worst case Legion should offer plenty of content for solo players.
I think it's possible to cross-realm group nowadays, so at least there's that.

Revenant

Yeah, I've been doing plenty of that in my more active playing times... Though now it occured to me that you're probably alliance, therefore so much for grouping.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, I've been doing plenty of that in my more active playing times... Though now it occured to me that you're probably alliance, therefore so much for grouping.
Ah, hm, yeah. I do have a Horde-side Ret as well, but it's so far down the line of alts that it barely registers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom