Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racing/Vehicular Combat Games

dagorkan

Arbiter
Hi, I recently read in a non-gaming magazine about this new racing/action game, for Christmas release, which was supposed to be really good. I saw it in a shop but didn't buy it and now I can't remember the name. I think one of the hype quotes was about that the weapons had "fully realistic characteristics", but can't remember much else. Seemed like a Carmageddon/GTA hybrid from the box cover.

If you don't know that particular game what would you recommend in the genre?

MisterStone

Arcane
Autoduel on the old Apple II/C64 was pretty awesome for its time... it used Car Wars rules, and you could build a huge variety of cars with over a dozen weapons, several body types, engine types, etc. etc. Its kind of depressing that someone hasn't made a game using modern technology combined with these rules or a similar degree of customization... but that's the way the video game industry has been moving for 20+ years now, I guess.

Oh, and Steve Jackson (the American Steve Jackson, not the guy who worked with Ian Livingstone on those fighting fantasy books, etc.) is notoriously paranoid about licensing his intellectual property, apparently.

Section8

Cipher
I'm not into racing games and the only vehicular combat game I actually played, finished and liked was I76.

I76 was great, but I've had no luck getting it to run on recent systems (WinXP or Vista). I tried to get help from one of the big fan communities but they were even more xenophobic and hateful than the Codex. I said something along the lines of "I'm having difficulty installing I76 under XP - I've followed your FAQ to a tee and can't even get the installer to run."

Which of course led them to attack me for not reading the FAQ, accuse me of being a dirty pirate and instantly ban me from their forums. Ah well, at least the game disc has funky CD audio tracks.

Müg

Scholar
ViolentOpposition said:
Vigilante 8?
I was thinking of mentioning it, especially 2nd offense, but it has little to no racing. It is far superior to Twisted Metal though.

My favorite vehicles? Hovering laser car, moon buggy, and garbage truck. Damn that game was fun.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Section8 said:
I'm not into racing games and the only vehicular combat game I actually played, finished and liked was I76.

I76 was great, but I've had no luck getting it to run on recent systems (WinXP or Vista). I tried to get help from one of the big fan communities but they were even more xenophobic and hateful than the Codex. I said something along the lines of "I'm having difficulty installing I76 under XP - I've followed your FAQ to a tee and can't even get the installer to run."

Which of course led them to attack me for not reading the FAQ, accuse me of being a dirty pirate and instantly ban me from their forums. Ah well, at least the game disc has funky CD audio tracks.

I haven't been able to get my original discs to install either. Managed to find a rar of the game directory floating about on the p2p\torrent. Works a charm.

nikpalj

Novice
Funk will even the odds... :)

Funkwilleventheodds.jpg

PicardPiranha.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bandits clearly draws its inspiration from I'76 for the gameplay and from Mad Max 2 for the settings.

I'd say I'76 has the upper hand in terms of story and ambiance but Bandits is not so bad even if it starts a bit slow. It has its share of humorous dialogs though.

You have three chassis to choose from (light, medium and heavy) and can choose which weapons to attach on. Not as many options as in I'76 but you have some crazy weapons of mass destruction like the umbrella bombs, the sniper rifle or the good old shotgun.

As for the gameplay itself, it's pretty fun with a lot of different missions, it looks very good and plays nice. Physics are handled nicely and it's also possible to modify the terrain with the bombs.

I guess I'76 is the better games but Bandits is still very nice and fun and has more of an arcade feel to it. Also there aren't a lot of vehicular combat games and it's nice to have a more or less recent one (2002).

It's worth a try if you can find it but it isn't very well-known. Even at release it was relatively unknown thanks to the publisher's poor advertising job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom