Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I personally find it difficult to hate the game, the butthurt it has spawned online entertained me greatly, and I didn't even have to pay for it. Don't think I'll ever play it though, I get bored of survival/crafting sims with actual substance quickly as is, probably wouldn't last more than an hour in no man's land.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Isn't the online icon on the box required in some regions for any game which has user generated content, and doesn't automatically mean "multiplayer"? Letting players name their discoveries freely leads to predictable results, which parents should be able to deduct from this sign. I don't really see a great conspiracy there.

Also 200,000 players now - if they don't refund it in a SCL scale, it looks like a success.

(I still don't like the game and I think this thread was mostly right about it months / a year ago, but 10 minutes played reviews on Steam are also a bit ridiculous.)

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane

Nael

Arcane
8zm1DHi.png

Low T Man's Sky (I'm sure that joke hasn't been made yet)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Yeesh

Magister
It's more along the lines of Peter Molyneux.
This would make more sense if anyone had ever heard of this guy before this one game right here. Molyneux shouldn't be shorthand for random dev guy over-promise. But I could be wrong, I haven't done thorough research.

It is not an indie game. It started as an indie game, but then Sony get their paws on it. Now it is a 60 dollar AAA title with a huge hype and marketing.
Oh ok.

Millenials are entitled shits. More news at 11.

The game is underwhelming after all the hype. Which gives said entitled shits all the reason to try and score KKKredits. Before getting the game in a sale in a few months and enjoying it for what it is. Codex gonna codex.
Yeah... I guess I understand and love the Codex better when it's countering mass market opinion rather than celebrating it as vindication. I probably just showed up at this thread at precisely the wrong time.

I'll show myself out.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Yeah... I guess I understand and love the Codex better when it's countering mass market opinion rather than celebrating it as vindication. I probably just showed up at this thread at precisely the wrong time.

You would like the Codex better if the masses had liked the game? You understand why that doesn't make sense, right? The Codex isn't innately contrarian yet it sounds like you were expecting people here to suddenly love the game just because it's getting shit on.

Nael

Arcane
We especially aren't going to like a game if it was developed by a bunch of male feminists with patchy facial hair.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
MztG5bl.jpg

Worst chromatic aberration abuse I've seen and ofc you cannot disable it. Just what a game with shitty muddy textures and low fov needs - more eyestrain. Also vignette for extra bullshit.

Last edited:

justincz

Scholar
to be fair i think this Sean guy is doing the best he can, he just doesnt have enough people with the qualifications to make it what we all hope it would be. not hard to tell if someone is purposely deceiving you, contrary to star citizen its not in the plans here.
being asked about multiplayer on a live talkshow with potentially millions of people watching its pretty hard to say "no you will not see eachother" when "i hope we can do that" is going thru his head also.
the price is too high thou, will probably drop quickly.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Am 3 hours in and having a good time so far, I went in with the lowest expectations possible, I really didn't have any hopes for the game at all and then when the PS4 version got released and it got some pretty devastating reviews and impressions it removed ANY expectation at all.

But because I like the idea of flying in space and being able to land on planets I gave it a try. And it's quite fun, not sure how long it will stay fun though. It all looks quite crappy and the inventory space you start out with is waay to small.

I wish this game and Evochron Mercenary would mate.

Seethe

Arbiter
to be fair i think this Sean guy is doing the best he can, he just doesnt have enough people with the qualifications to make it what we all hope it would be. not hard to tell if someone is purposely deceiving you, contrary to star citizen its not in the plans here.
being asked about multiplayer on a live talkshow with potentially millions of people watching its pretty hard to say "no you will not see eachother" when "i hope we can do that" is going thru his head also.
the price is too high thou, will probably drop quickly.

Hundreds of thousands of people bought a 60 dollar game that was made by 14 people, and all you can say is "poor guy, he's doing all he can"?

Good goy.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Also I would like to add I had zero technical issues with the game from the get go, it all runs fine on medium settings, no startup crashes or anything.

Plus I have a pitbull terrier dog and not a cat.

Gerrard

Arcane
MztG5bl.jpg

Worst chromatic aberration abuse I've seen and ofc you cannot disable it. Just what a game with shitty muddy textures and low fov needs, more eyestrain. Also vignette for extra bullshit.
And disgusting pastel/low contrast color filters.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Quick review, after 3 hours.
-Runs like shit on my high end pc, yet the visuals are not that great.
-Planet rendering is kinda shit. On the ground looks like a glorified Morrowind, in space planets are Kerbal-level in terms of shittiness. However everything is covered with bad-LSD-trip filters so it hides the overall shittiness of the engine. Nowhere near ED or Space Engine in term of smoothness, it's jarring when the engine switch from space rendering to ground rendering using some horrible noisy fade-out filter.
-FPS, on the ground, gameplay isn't bad. Kind of minecraft-lite.
-Space pew-pewing is pure shit even for an arcade space shooter. The spacecraft behaviour is nonsensical most of the time.
-There are some tidbits of gameplay i kinda like, but the overall experience is kinda meh

Perkel

Arcane
Played for hour it and:

This seems to be a lot better than i expected. This definitely fills Space Engine type of game i wanted from it.

dudes looking for next space sim should look other way. This kind of is more focused on pure exploration than on anything else.

I love how slick everything is from walking to flying to mining crafting and so on. Sure some things are simplistic but overall i think it fits style of game they were going for.

Played with pad so can't comment on km input. On pad Ui and everything works great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom