Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horrifying fate in RPGs - the more horrifying the better!

Sykar

Arcane
Plenty of horrible fates for the protaginist in Dead Space I enjoyed watching them all.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much roll a defiler class in Tales of Maj'eyal, specially a corruptor. A corruptor is a filthy spellcaster focused over inflicting blight damage, which basically rots your enemies from inside with diseases, acid and maggots thus giving them an ill fate. Also, corruptors are able to take a foe with them to Fearscape (the Maj'eyal's hell) and watch them be consumed by eternal fire. Be wary though, if you can't turn into a demon, sending yourself towards Fearscape will rapidly backfire.

That truly sound like horrifying stuff. Is the damage instant or is it a long suffering?

hell bovine

Arcane
BG2 takes the cake in terms of the evil you can do with spells: disintegrate, flesh to stone, polymorph other, feeblemind (though I'm not sure this one counts, as the afflicted NPC probably is too stupid to feel unhappy about his state), imprisonment, wish. No other game lets you play such a truly evil wizard. :(

I love how you can goad Anomen into choosing "The Dark Side" in BG2. One of the few good feel-evil moments in cRPGs.
It's annoying you still can't get him to switch gods if you make him fall, though; a neutral cleric with anger management issues would be far better off serving Talos. On the plus side, the Talosian temple has hilarious quests if you have it as your stronghold.

Most of the PS:T ones have been mentioned - but selling Dakkon into slavery gets you a particularly nice reaction:)
You can sell companions into slavery to the devils in Cania in HotU. The absolutely evil thing: you can do that to your "romantic interests". :D That said, HotU let you use a devil's true name to... order him to become good. Now that is a truly horrifying fate for an NPC. :lol:

Originally, the game also had a crazy ending where you could use his true name to order big M. - you know, the archdevil ruler of Cania - to become a chambermaid at your inn. But of course WotC made them remove it, can't let the players have too much fun, because it would break the canon. :roll: (It was still accessible in the editor, though.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Wow, there's quite a few.

One that immediately springs to mind is the Wall of the Faithless in Mask of the Betrayer.

Please continue if you got more :)

Jade Empire, where you can enslave the Water Dragon and recruit Death's Hand into your service instead of free him - which horrifies some of your companions and makes them fight you. There is a lot of fucked up shit you can do in that game. One of the companions is a little girl who, by you actions, can get possessed by an evil spirit. In terms of evil, I don't think there are many RPGs that can compete with Jade Empire.

KOTOR, making Zaalbar kill Mission. Horrible for both of them. Imagine being killed by your best friend on orders from your boss.

Coma White

Educated
Jade Empire, where you can enslave the Water Dragon and recruit Death's Hand into your service instead of free him - which horrifies some of your companions and makes them fight you. There is a lot of fucked up shit you can do in that game. One of the companions is a little girl who, by you actions, can get possessed by an evil spirit. In terms of evil, I don't think there are many RPGs that can compete with Jade Empire.

KOTOR, making Zaalbar kill Mission. Horrible for both of them. Imagine being killed by your best friend on orders from your boss.

BioWare: As cringey and tryhard as ever.

racofer

Thread Incliner
So what is the worst fate you or an npc can suffer in an RPG?

t8IpqCB.gif

vulylJy.gif

cQO42SI.gif

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Being killed by cazadors in New Vegas. If you imagine that the courier does not die but is instead, like the various cazador nests imply, carried back to the cazador nest while still conscious, so the cazador mother may lay her eggs in the courier's abdomen, using the courier as a handy living food source for the inevitable baby cazador larvae.

Plenty of terrible ends for your character in Age of Decadence.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That truly sound like horrifying stuff. Is the damage instant or is it a long suffering?

Some spells deal instant burst damage, with a high critical chance. But the plague talent category spells, poison storm and corrosive worm deal damage over time and even some are AoE. Also, if an enemy dies with a corrosive worm inside, it violently explodes, overspreading within a radius of 4 tiles over nearby unfortunate foes with a nasty mixture of guts and acid. Fearscape does damage over time too.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Keeping One of Many and Safiya in the party at the end of MotB (not the ultra-evil ending, the semi-evil one). In the ending slides, One of Many kills Safiya out of spite.

Tales of Maj'Eyal has some pretty rough stuff in there too. For instance halfings being dicks to yeeks, and, say, the story behind the creation of the ogre race. A lot of combat abilities have some pretty fucked up descriptions, too (f. i. Living Nightmare and other psionic abilities, Animus Purge, the aforementioned Fearscape and corruption/blight abilities). Many of the classes have a decidedly evil bent.

Good topic.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Screwing up on the endings to Stalker Call of Chernobyl where you get all sorts of nasty shit lile blinded or turned to a statue

Saduj

Arcane
I got the "stepfather is condemned to spend eternity as a demon's fuckdoll" ending in Shadowrun Hong Kong because I got tired of reading through lengthy, pointless conversations and ending up breezing past the few that actually mattered.

The earliest bad consequence in an RPG I can remember is losing a fight in Temple of Apshai and being found by Olias the Dwarf. That son of a bitch would take all your money and elixers. The cleric wouldn't take anything. He was a bro.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Trusting Ming Xiao in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. You end up deep in the ocean, chained to an ancient sarcophagus. Soon your reserves of blood will start to run out, and you will get lost within the depths of your vampiric hunger, with no means to satiate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom