Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
User reviews:
OVERALL:
Mixed(2,225 reviews)

(((Staff))) sure loves promoting garbage.

Must of that is butthurt about performance problems, bugs etc. Not the game itself.

Black

Arcane
User reviews:
OVERALL:
Mixed(2,225 reviews)

(((Staff))) sure loves promoting garbage.

Must of that is butthurt about performance problems, bugs etc. Not the game itself.
WVgpDI6.jpg

Ash

Arcane

That's all I wanted. For you to analyze the games and come to your own conclusion. We're free to disagree here. My conclusion is DX:HR is a horrible popamole butchery of DX, though still playable. And FO3 is a horrible butchery of FO, though still playable, but at least it doesn't streamline the absolute shit out of the game and go awesome button popamole extreme.

:popamole:

:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Yes, it streamlines. Yes, it adds popamole elements, but it's nowhere near extreme as in the case of HR. Infinitron himself said FO3 was rather old school principled for a 2008 game, and it was.

The new game is fine and I'm a faggot brown nigger peasant with no standards

See this is what I mean. Extreme double standards. How the fuck is unfaithful streamlined popamole "fine".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a pointless argument. Have you been doing this all night?

The reason people on this site dislike Fallout 3 is because its content is juvenile and stupid, not because of some mechanistic analysis of streamlining.

M0RBUS

Augur
Tags: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; Eidos Montreal

Back in 2011, there were many that considered Eidos Montreal's revival of the Deus Ex franchise, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, to be the epitome of the "good for what it is" AAA title. In an era of ever greater streamlining, it was a game that wasn't ashamed to throw walls of text at you in its first five minutes. Its maps were reasonably spacious, the dialogue and atmosphere were decent, and it even had a grid-based inventory. The sins of Invisible War were washed away at last.
All the things you're praising there FO3 had too, or have a comparison that can be drawn (e.g grid-based vs weight-based inventory), except for reasonably good dialogue.
That whole conversation started from this.
What you're saying is Fallout 3 had walls of text in the first five minutes (it didn't) and decent atmosphere (it didn't).
Can we discuss this instead rather than going on about double standards?
There's plenty of reasons why any Bethesda game is not "good for what it is", and the proof is in how so many of their fans consciously forgive so much crap simply because it's a Bethesda game. Fallout 3 was "good for a Bethesda game", but certainly "good for what it is" is a different notion than that.

The reason people on this site dislike Fallout 3 is because its content is juvenile and stupid, not because of some mechanistic analysis of streamlining.
This is exceedingly true, from my experience, and certainly in what concerns me. I wouldn't care for all the terrible design decisions they made if they had tried to make an interesting game in the first place. As it stands, juvenile and stupid are a couple of nice words to describe it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
You mean significant parts of its writing are juvenile and stupid. Blasting radscorpions in FO3 or managing your inventory is no less juvenile than doing the same in FO1. And as Vault Dweller pointed out, Codex likes New Vegas, generally speaking, and while it has better writing and design all-round compared to FO3, they still share a shitload in common.

Meanwhile, Deus Ex's gameplay was mature and intelligent, didn't lead you around by the nose and point shit out across the room, or have mindless awesome button takedowns, and let you make your own decisions without encouraging specific playstyles through popamole design. In general you had to play intelligently, experiment and figure things out. In contrast, Human Revolution's gameplay is juvenile and stupid.

MORBUS said:
What you're saying is Fallout 3 had walls of text in the first five minutes (it didn't) and decent atmosphere (it didn't).

Aside from the two optional e-books in HR's intro, they probably had roughly the same amount of dialogue and text.

Atmosphere is debatable. HR's piss filter is as crappy as FO3's snot filter. Of course there's more to establishing atmosphere than that, but I'm not going to even try to argue on the matter. They're both underwhelming games that shit on their origins and that is the reality.

Last edited:

M0RBUS

Augur
You mean significant parts of its writing are juvenile and stupid.
Well, the extreme amounts of filler combat are juvenile and stupid.
VATS is.
The character creation is.
The level and world design is (for the most part, there are some hidden gems in there).
The item design is as well.
All that remains after than is the real time combat (which is bad), the UI (ditto) and quest design, which is creative at least, but linear as all hell.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Immersive Sim is what the DX dev team dubbed their creation IIRC.
Didn't know that. Still a gay marketing term for FPS/RPG though.
Bethesda in their early days were inspired by Ultima Underworld, developed by Looking Glass (the creators of the Immersive Sim), so there is a chance they'd do better job actually, slim as those chances may be.
For all your accusations that we are all secret DX:HR fans (I think I played it once), you are coming off as a closet FO3/Bethesda fan with every post.

Back on topic, I saw reviews on steam and reddit that claim there are *save specific* micro-transactions.

So you buy something for $5 and then have to buy it again every time you start a new game.

Full list of microtransaction lameness:
http://twinfinite.net/2016/08/all-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-microtransactions-prices/
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x10) – $0.99
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x50) – $4.49
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x100) – $7.49
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x500) – $29.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack – $0.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack (x5) – $3.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack (x10) – $6.99
  • 1000 Credits Pack – $0.99
  • 5000 Credits Pack – $4.49
  • 10000 Credits Pack – $7.49
  • 15000 Credits Pack – $9.99
  • Tactical Pack – $4.99
  • Assault Pack – $4.99

:dead:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You could have also seen that in the original post of this thread. +M

However, I don't think you can buy them more than once? Not on Steam, anyway.

Just trying to get us back on topic, men. :M

edit:
Actually, I saw it before I posted in this thread - wanting to discuss it was the reason I clicked on the news post to begin with. Didn't even read it, I'll admit. :M

Then I got distracted by Ash's post and well...

imweasel

Back on topic, I saw reviews on steam and reddit that claim there are *save specific* micro-transactions.
I got some items as a pre-order bonus. It is true.

I am not sure why anybody would want buy this stuff to unbalance the game (single player) anyway.

rQl0mo3.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Only thing I got was the 3 different coats for jensen (which are cool) and some more skins, and then some weapons. But since I'm mostly a non-lethal stealth player, I don't care for it anyway. So eh.

Best thing about it, is it extra mission that I get.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Didn't know that. Still a gay marketing term for FPS/RPG though.
There's a very specific philosophy linked to the concept of an immersive sim, dating back to Looking Glass. Just slapping some RPG elements on a shooter doesn't turn it into an immersive sim, nor is it even required. Thief is an immersive sim, and it's neither a shooter nor an RPG of any kind.

The whole FO3/HR thing is pretty clear-cut in my opinion: Human Revolution is not a Deus Ex game, and Fallout 3 is not a Fallout game. Once you've got that notion out of the way, you can look at the games for what they are, and Human Revolution has some merits of its own whereas Fallout 3 has not.

Let's actually start comparing Deus Ex to HR, shall we?

Deus Ex has a first person view, HR has too, except it shifts to third person while in cover or in takedowns.
Deus Ex has shooting in first person, HR has shooting in first person and third person.
Deus Ex has augs, so does HR.
Deus Ex has environmental hazards blocking off some paths and bonuses, so does HR.
Deus Ex has sneaking as a viable tactic, so does HR.
Deus Ex has hacking, so does HR.

Compare Fallout 1 to Fallout 3:

Fallout has isometric view, Fallout 3 doesn't.
Fallout has turn based combat, Fallout 3 doesn't.
Fallout doesn't have a level cap, Fallout 3 does.
Fallout has a large variety of enemies, Fallout 3 doesn't in comparison.
Fallout has several settlements throughout the game, Fallout 3 only features 3 throughout.
Fallout doesn't have crafting, Fallout 3 does.
This is retarded, because most of that is just superficial shit. New Vegas has all of the things or shortcomings of FO3 that you listed, and it's much more faithful to the original than either HR or FO3.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Yes, it streamlines. Yes, it adds popamole elements, but it's nowhere near extreme as in the case of HR. Infinitron himself said FO3 was rather old school principled for a 2008 game, and it was.

The new game is fine and I'm a faggot brown nigger peasant with no standards

See this is what I mean. Extreme double standards. How the fuck is unfaithful streamlined popamole "fine".
Fallout 3 would not have been a good game even if it had been faithfully made in the FO2 engine. The plot and setting is just too retarded. Popamole mechanics is merely a layer of birdshit icing on a turd.

Compare to New Vegas, where you can carefully scrape away the shit icing to reveal a hearty chocolate cake.

Dev_Anj

Learned
This is retarded, because most of that is just superficial shit.
I know that. My point specifically was that trying to compare two games with different design approaches to each other, and their predecessors and then debating their faithfulness based on some nitpicked elements is pointless, since it doesn't tell the whole story. Frankly, a lot of Ash's complaints with HR could easily dismissed as "nitpicks" too by people who aren't bothered with them. Like how it has third person cover shooting/sneaking or it holds the player's hand using objective markers and radar, especially since most of that can be turned off. And no, I know that simply turning the handholdy elements doesn't make it a worthwhile successor to the original or improve the main design significantly, it just means that some people can disregard them if they so wish.

himmy

Arcane

So you buy something for $5 and then have to buy it again every time you start a new game.

Full list of microtransaction lameness:
http://twinfinite.net/2016/08/all-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-microtransactions-prices/
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x10) – $0.99
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x50) – $4.49
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x100) – $7.49
  • Breach Chipset Pack (x500) – $29.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack – $0.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack (x5) – $3.99
  • Praxis Kit Pack (x10) – $6.99
  • 1000 Credits Pack – $0.99
  • 5000 Credits Pack – $4.49
  • 10000 Credits Pack – $7.49
  • 15000 Credits Pack – $9.99
  • Tactical Pack – $4.99
  • Assault Pack – $4.99

:dead:

How come we don't have a reaction for money hungry practices such as this? Although if we did it would probably be a retarded /vg/-like joke about Jews, so maybe forget about it.

Gord

Arcane
I remember there was quite some backlash when they wanted to introduce advertisements into DX:HR.
Well, technically you don't need to buy that nonsense and will thus evade it, and I hope that few enough people do that they ever consider doing it again, but then again, there are a lot of consumers acting retarded...

However, isn't this just begging for some lawsuit? After all you usually assume that such a "product" is permanent in single-player AAA games, so caveat emptor notwithstanding, this seems to leave the door wide open for some enterprising lawyer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom