Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2016 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I really like how their visual style supports the more serious direction they took, but is still similar enough for a part 2 in a series.

It's a small quibble, but I think their dialogue system would be vastly improved by just removing the asterisks. It's clear from context for everything except perhaps the NPCs text that these are actions, the asterisks just make the player feel like they're reading some teenager's RP chatlogs. Maybe that's just me, though. What does everyone else think?

agreed, I find them off-putting.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Different platforms like Mac, Linux or consoles are still a mystery, since we don’t know how well they will handle engines based on DirectX 12 (engine of Original Sin 2 will use it a lot).

Wait a second, is it going to be Windows 10 only? Fuck this gay earth.

EDIT: Apparently it'll support DX11 as well.

Last edited:

JustMyOnion

Educated
Interesting part about the writing. I haven't played D:OS but I have played Divinity 2, and the writing of that would be best described as dog vomit mixed with horse shit served in a cocktail glass. Although it was just another chunk in a shit flurry next to the world building, gameplay and everything else. The fact this company didn't die then and there is honestly an injustice, but if they finally managed to actually get good today, I'm not going to hold a grudge.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Try Dragon Commander to check what hilarious things you can have from Larian when they have the time to be imaginative with their writing and let it cook for a good while before release.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Try Dragon Commander to check what hilarious things you can have from Larian when they have the time to be imaginative with their writing and let it cook for a good while before release.

Sven himself said that Dragon Commander was rushed and unfinished and basically sacrificed to raise money for D:OS.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Sven himself said that Dragon Commander was rushed and unfinished and basically sacrificed to raise money for D:OS.
I think they said writers had more time for that game than for DOS though

Weirdly, the "cooking time" for Divinity 2 was about the same as for all their later titles.
It wasn't deep or anything but DC was fun compared to DOS that was... I don't remember what it was. it was just empty of anything fun in writing.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Win 10 is the most popular OS for Steam users now and I think when the game will leave Beta, it will have a bigger market share than the 45% it's at now. But you are right, that for a niche game, targeting the high end is risky, if they don't have metrics which support their strategy.

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
Guess I won't be playing it until Windows 7 stops getting MS support.

EDIT: Actually, make that Windows 8.

Project: Eternity
Different platforms like Mac, Linux or consoles are still a mystery, since we don’t know how well they will handle engines based on DirectX 12 (engine of Original Sin 2 will use it a lot).

Wait a second, is it going to be Windows 10 only? Fuck this gay earth.
No. here are system requirements:
Minimalna konfiguracja sprzętowa do gry Divinity: Original Sin 2

• System operacyjny: 64-bitowy Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8.1 lub Windows 10
  • Procesor: Intel Core i5 lub odpowiednik
  • Pamięć operacyjna: 4 GB
  • Karta graficzna: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 lub AMD Radeon HD z serii 6000 z obsługą DirectX 11
  • Dysk twardy: 25 GB wolnego miejsca
Rekomendowana konfiguracja sprzętowa do gry Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Procesor: Intel Core i7 lub odpowiednik
  • Pamięć operacyjna: 8 GB
  • Karta graficzna: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 lub AMD Radeon R9 280 z obsługą DirectX 11
Still it looks like I'll finally have to buy new graphic card since my current one doesnt support DX11.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just so we're on the same page, I'm talking about Divinity 2 here.
Yea it was evern worse than DOS. Probably, since I never got as far as killing goblins in first village or something. Don't remember being so bored in Divinity 1 which was banal but had some sort of innocent fairy tailish self ironic to it

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

• Karta graficzna: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 lub AMD Radeon HD z serii 6000 z obsługą DirectX 11
  • Kurwa

Still it looks like I'll finally have to buy new graphic card since my current one doesnt support DX11.
Some pretty heavy requirements.

Also, requiring working knowledge of Polish is also a quite hard demand.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
No. here are system requirements:

Rekomendowana konfiguracja sprzętowa do gry Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Procesor: Intel Core i7 lub odpowiednik
  • Pamięć operacyjna: 8 GB
  • Karta graficzna: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 lub AMD Radeon R9 280 z obsługą DirectX 11
Oh, good, thanks for the correction. I'll have to buy a new gfx card as well but I needed to do that anyway.
I hope they'll do a Linux port at some point too.

Perkel

Arcane

Heavy ? 2011 top of the line gpu and 2012 cpu ?

I am not suprised about i5-i7 though. DX11 is terrible at leveraging CPU power. The more assets and stuff game outputs on screen the more it becomes bogged down by DX11 api.

Vulcan/DX12 can't come soon enought for most of games.

Perkel

Arcane
Kevin VanOrd is a game writer now?

YEah i remember him reviewing The Witcher 3 because he was one of the few reviewers actually properly pointed out that TW3 main muscle is writing.

here is his review :

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Heavy ? 2011 top of the line gpu and 2012 cpu ?
Dude, joke's never that good if you have to explain it :roll:

I wonder if I can run D:OS2 with Q6600 anymore. GPUwise (HD7850) I am maxed out or even past the level what my cpu could support.

Well, next year is the 10th anniversary of my rig, so perhaps it's time to build a new one. :M

Naraya

Arcane
I'm really happy it turned out not to require DX12 because I for one have a fucking moral spine and won't buy into Win10 shilling just so I can play muh gamez. Plus I'm crossing fingers for Vulkan to get widespread and team AMD getting strong again.

Zeriel

Arcane
The only games that will be W10/DX12 exclusive for the time being are Microsoft titles they're using to push their OS.

Fry

Arcane
I'm really happy it turned out not to require DX12 because I for one have a fucking moral spine and won't buy into Win10 shilling just so I can play muh gamez. Plus I'm crossing fingers for Vulkan to get widespread and team AMD getting strong again.

Er... it's just another version of Windows. Windows is and always has been kinda shit, but 10 isn't noticeably shittier than what came before.

Refusing to use it isn't a brave moral stance, hero. It's just kinda stupid.

Zeriel

Arcane

Er... it's just another version of Windows. Windows is and always has been kinda shit, but 10 isn't noticeably shittier than what came before.

Refusing to use it isn't a brave moral stance, hero. It's just kinda stupid.

Until they started rolling out the same forced updating scheme for Windows 7, Windows 10 was unique for that.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
if I would show you the initial dialogues, you'd say “that's shit!”

Swen knows us very well. :lol:

Hey Swen. You should just fire these hacks and hire Vince Weller from Iron Tower Studio. He is talented and can write a gigantic cRPG all by himself. The best part is that he is cheap. I heard he is living on a shack with his children and co-workers. You could probably hire him if you give him some food allowance and transport vouchers. It's a win-win situation.

8c17578v.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom