Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unkillable Cat's Unpatriotic CCP Mockery Thread (aka WoD got cancelled)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Funny update time:

So Citadels are a thing now, and people are getting to grips with how they work...and how they're bugged. Among the bugs that have popped up (and may have been squashed since then, I dunno for sure):

# If you dock your ship in a Citadel, then switch to another ship while in the Citadel, your previous ship will undock and warp to the stargate you last used, all by itself!

# If you're wanted by the Faction Police and try to hide from them by docking in a Citadel that you built, the Faction Police will attack your Citadel.

Then I came across a discussion about funny corporation names in EVE Online. Might as well share some of them.

(The corporation's ticker name, where available, is in brackets.)

Hold My Beer and Watch This
Giant Flaming Isopods of Screaming Temporal DOOM
Baby Seal Cub Clubbing Club (This is a "meme" name, taken from a WoW guild that got disbanded by GMs because it was too offensive)
Cambodian Midget Fighting League
Farmers Agricultural Growing Society [FAGS.]
The Honda Accord
Fearless [HLMAR]
My Wife's Son [CUCK]
Amarr Ackbar

But the winner must be the corp named "this will end well", made by a EVE player that died in RL not 24 hours after naming that corp. Troll level: Meta.

Norfleet

Probably murdered by another Eve player to steal his stuff. You know how these people are.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Sadly I have no info on how the player in question died.

As for new stuff, a small update is being released today, including a Live Event ripe with Daily Events. Kill X rats, mine Y amount of ore, blablabla to get points that you can cash in to get cool stuff. Among the cool new stuff are faction capital ships which cost from twice as much to five times as much to produce as "standard" comparable capital ships.

Anyway, patch was deployed this morning...and the Live Events are nowhere to be seen. Turns out that "due to an unforseen problem with the system discovered last night" the Live Events part of the patch has been delayed for a few days.

Meanwhile, I'm hearing the very persistent rumour that the reason for the delay is both football- and alcohol-shaped...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Update:

Some of you have been waiting for this, but iTZ happened: EVE Online now offers a F2P model of playing.

In short, clones are now split into Alphas and Omegas (should have stuck with Alphas and Betas for all the betacuck memes.) Alpha clones are the free clones, while Omega clones are the regular "subbed" players.

The F2P model gives you access to the game, but you can only train up to 5 million skillpoints of pre-selected skills, based on which race you select. You will only be able to fly T1 ships up to Cruiser size, and use most (not all) T1 modules and will train at a slower speed than subbed players will. Otherwise you're free to play the game as you wish.

Once you reach the 5 million skill points no further skills can be trained until you upgrade to an Omega clone. Once your sub expires your clone reverts to an Alpha clone.

Further limitations may be introduced, as using this to create a legion of gankers is just too obvious of an abuse of this system.

What this only really does is lower the entry barrier for new players. This may be a good thing for future subscription numbers, but considering CCP has already butchered the playerbase with the Skill Extractors/Injectors, this is in all likelyhood just another step towards the inevitable.

Beastro

Arcane
If that is true, that means that there are elements within CCP that can see the problem, but even if Seagull were to do this herself she'd be overruled and then terminated by management - after all she isn't Icelandic (or male).

She certainly tries her best to look like one.

Reminds me of those tards that ruined Everquest by clearing out 2 months of gaming content in 2 days.

Was that one of the prog servers?

I play on one, was hilarious seeing people bum rush through it.

I'd be happy if EVE Online would turn into a singularity that would implode on itself, trapping within it all the 'regulars' and Goons for all eternity.

The world would be a better place, and CCP would get medals all round.

Surprised no ones made a sci-fi novel about MMOs being a honey pot for a police state that trims their populace of sociopaths.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What I'm most hearing about CCP these days is the same thing: Iceland is unsustainable for a video game development studio.

Case in point: Anyone remember the QuizUp app for smartphones? The company behind it, Plain Vanilla, laid off all of its staff and closed its offices today, due to "a unsustainable business scenario".

A by-the-books digital start-up company that was larger than life for a moment, then became nothing in less than a blink of an eye.

Frankly it's amazing that CCP has been in business as long as they have.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Time for a check-up on what's going on at CCP...and there's actually some news:

# CCP is expanding rather aggresively into consoles and VR. Two PS4 titles are confirmed as being in development, and the Gunjack game is getting a sequel.

# Next big expansion for EVE Online is due Nov. 8th. Yes, that's the day of the Kwa Presidential Election. Personally, I'd say go out and vote and worry about this game later.

# Notable elements of the expansion is the inclusion of the aforementioned Alpha/Omega clones, a revamp of the mining ships and new Industrial modules/buildings for your Citadels.

# One addition that's slipping under the radar a bit is that CCP effectively shuts down all third-party transactions in regards to EVE. This mostly applies to the gambling sites, and two in-game gambling cartels have been BANHAMMÖRED out of the game already, and the rest follows suit on Nov. 8th. One of the guys that got BAMHAMMÖRED was the guy who made the first EVE toon to buy his way to the top of the skill tree, and with him went over 7 TRILLION ISK.

Then there's also this image of ISK CCP confiscated in 2015 alone.

B-E7IBFIEAA72td.png

Yes, that's about 30 trillion ISK in there.

# Pink SKINs are now available in the game in support of Women's Cancer Research.

# An old and respected EVE Online player, Xirtam (of VOTF and Curse Alliance fame) passed away recently. I didn't know the guy, but upon watching the video below and hearing the story he tells, I can understand why he's sorely missed:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A new "big" update was released earlier this week. It was supposed to be released on the 8th, but they postponed it for a week to "address problems".

They should have stalled it further to avoid this cock-up. This is rivaling the "boot.ini" fiasco of 2007 and hastily approaching the Red Moon Rising-mess where they took the server offline for 3 days without a word to the playerbase. But enough about their past fuck-ups, let's talk about the new ones.

First they introduced account verification via e-mail, i.e. you must set up an e-mail address with your account before the launcher will let you play. Except on all versions except the English one the launcher refused to accept the e-mail validation. What's worse, some of the accounts playing are linked to e-mail accounts that have been dead for YEARS. So there's a lot of failed e-mail verifications going on. How does CCP Support respond? Not. At. All. Seems that the CCP team just patted themselves on the back for a "successful deployment" and went off to the pub for the day, leaving hundreds (number of players that actually reported issues, true number is easily 10x that) of players hanging as the launcher bans their IPs because they're trying to log in with unverified accounts.

UNFORTUNATELY, the e-mail verification thing is also tied to Account Management...so anyone wanting to change their e-mail settings (or canceling their subscriptions due to the piss-poor customer support) cannot do so.

Then they introduced the previously reported "Alpha" and "Omega" clones. "Omega" clones are stated "to be training skills at double the speed" which made some players excited. But what really happened is that CCP lowered what they consider the "standard" rate of training, then claim that "Omega" clones are training at double that speed...which is the old normal training speed!

Worse than that, players that only log in once in a while discovered that any and all skill training that had been going on since they last logged in mysteriously disappeared, and as of today it has still yet to be fixed. They intend to fix it (once they know how) but from what I'm hearing EVE players will only believe it when they see it.

Along with all of the above they introduced a "new" character sheet. The old one was simple, practical and WORKED. This one looks very sleek, but finding any useful information is a pain and player biographies get eaten if people bother to look at them.

Among other "new" features is a completely new voice for AURA, the in-game voice of the game. And it's crap, she sounds like a total bitch.

And, as usual, except for the vanishing skill training, this patch has numerous bugs and problems that were noticed by players on the test server, but were not fixed before deployment. CCP clearly doesn't have a QA department anymore.

EDIT: Almost forgot...to add insult to injury, the skill management program EVEMon is now considered dead and abandoned. For over a decade this has been THE third-party program to use with the game...and now its future looks very bleak indeed.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
CCP sounds like the MMO version of GWS, fucking up so badly it would be surprising if they weren't doing it deliberately to torment their customer base.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Unkillable Cat you are slacking. Shame on you, lazy bum.

Eve Online Owners Said to Weigh Game Maker Sale After Approaches
  • Icelandic firm said to receive interest from potential buyers
  • No final decision made and owners still discussing options

CCP hf, the Icelandic game developer that created the cult classic Eve Online game, is exploring strategic options including a sale of the business after receiving interest from potential bidders, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The closely held company’s owners, which include European investor Novator Partners LLP, U.S. investment fund General Catalyst Partners LLC and venture capitalist New Enterprise Associates Inc., are discussing whether or not to proceed with a sale, the people said, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are private. A sale of CCP could value the business at as much as 900 million euros ($955 million), the people said.

Representatives for CCP, General Catalyst and Novator declined to comment, while New Enterprise didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The gaming industry has seen a wave of mergers and acquisitions this year, with buyers committing about $20 billion on companies that make entertainment software, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The largest was the $8.6 billion acquisition deal for Finnish gamemaker Supercell Oy, targeted by a group lead by Chinese internet company Tencent Holdings Ltd.

Founded in 1997, CCP is focused on building multiplayer games for virtual reality headsets. Valkyrie, one of the latest in the Eve series, is an intergalactic space shooter that can be played on Microsoft Corp.’s Oculus Rift on PC, Sony Corp.’s PlayStation VR headset and HTC Corp.’s Vive. Gunjack 2 is available exclusively for Google’s Daydream, while its predecessor Gunjack can be played on Samsung Electronics Co.’s Gear VR, Facebook Inc.’s Oculus Rift and Vive, according to the company’s website.
CCP raised $30 million from New Enterprise and Novator in Nov. 2015. That round valued the company at $300 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aid-to-weigh-game-maker-sale-after-approaches

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
#1 I'm not trying to run a news service (and failing).

#2 I wanted to wait until I heard more from local sources.

#3 I stated a year ago that CCP was likely to come under new management.

This is all due to three things: CCP spending years restructuring, them having their most profitable month ever by gutting EVE Online, and them finally releasing EVE: Valkyrie. Valkyrie didn't just make it, it's the VR game to play.

So right now, at this moment, CCP looks to be a company with a bright future, and therefore bids for it were inevitable. It wouldn't surprise me if it got sold - the people running/owning it are probably never gonna get a better chance.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Haven't looked at EVE Online in a while, but since I did I figured I might give a rundown of silly things CCP has been up to... or at least, what I know. I don't know if it's their greater emphasis on VR games and Reddit (which I don't use), but communication from CCP has dropped sharply in recent months, with very little to show for it.

But on the EVE front the following things have happened:

# The first major update to the T3 Cruisers has just been deployed. The T3 Cruisers are probably CCP's most ambitious ships. All ships in EVE have a certain amount of High, Med and Low slots where various gear and weapons can be put in, but beyond that the ships themselves are pretty much set in stone. T3 Cruisers, however, are modular and originally comprised of 5 subsystems that each was supposed to a selection of 5 different components, offering several thousand configuration options before modules and weapons were factored in.

That was all according to CCP planning, back in 2009. Everyone knows how CCP planning is.

The game ended up with 3 components for each subsystem (with the fourth component being added in a year later) which led to about four thousand configuration options. These ships were meant to be Jack of All Trades, but quickly rose to be King of All Trades. Now, many many years later, they announce and implement a rebalancing phase where they remove one subsystem and one ship component, leaving T3 Cruisers with 4 subsystems and 3 components, leaving the ships with "only" a couple of thousand configuration options, but with the subsystems so role specific that the real number is somewhere about a dozen or so. Weirdest of all, most viable ship fittings for the T3s are still perfectly good, but they cost more to build now. It seems that the only real change they made was to reduce support for some of the ship parts so to save themselves some work.

# On that note, remember the Captain's Quarters? CCP's bold, first step into making EVE Online be something more than a ship (spinning) simulator? Well, guess what's being removed from the game next month. Claiming that the Virtual Broomcloset takes too much resources to maintain (as it's based in 7-year old tech) CCP seizes another chance to reduce its workload with little consequences... nowadays, at least. I remember the outrage when it was originally released. CCP had been telling us all about how this was but the first, small step towards "Walking in Stations" which would bring EVE Online closer to other MMOs in term of player interactions... and never amounted to anything. Ho-hum.

On a related note, CCP is also ditching Twitch Streaming-support for EVE Online, for the same reason that they're ditching the Captain's Quarters - turns out no one uses them.

# The PLEX system got reworked. PLEX is the in-game currency that can extend your subscription or get you some quick cash. One PLEX equalled 30 days of subscription, so they quickly started rising in value until they hit about 1.3 billion ISK a pop. Then CCP launched its Macrotransaction store, realized how stupid they were and changed it so that it became a Microtransaction store, and then came up with a new in-game currency, AURUM, to handle the store. That's 3 different currencies for one game.

That was too much for the economists, it seems, so PLEX got changed earlier this year. AURUM got axed and converted into the new PLEX, which is a much smaller unit of currency. To get 30 days of subscription time you now need 500 PLEX. It doesn't take a genius to see what would happen next: With the AURUM stockpiles now being converted into PLEX, the supply/demand ratio went all out of whack, so now 500 units of PLEX sell for close to 1.6 billion ISK... and rising. Many players realize that they simply can't afford to keep their subscriptions up via in-game means, so they're logging off for good.

# Besides the above three items, CCP has done little more except juggle in-game numbers around and add new ship SKINs in an attempt to look busy... which is exactly what I've been saying they would do for at least the past year, probably longer. They're putting minimal effort into the game. One good example of this is a discussion thread I found on the 2nd generation EVE Forum (they've just unleashed the 3rd generation, which seems to borrow a little too heavily from Reddit) where a player is asking about Heavy Defender Missiles, an in-game item recently added by CCP to try to make Defender Missiles useful. The problem is, they're now useless, they can't be sold or reprocessed, and yet they drop from various in-game enemies. CCP's response? "We changed them once we assigned Defender missiles to be an anti-bomb weapon, and there's a very good reason why you can't reprocess them." Translation? "We Can't Code Properly, but instead of admitting that we'll just make up some bullshit explanation that means that you're stuck with them."

And on the topic of the forums... the 1st generation forums were nice and usable, but around 2009 CCP decided to upgrade their forums. A beta version was made available of the 2nd generation forum for public use, but a EVE Online veteran quickly figured out how to hack it and seize full control of it. He sent CCP a message saying that the new forums represented a serious security risk and that they should fix it before general release.

They didn't.

So he resent his message, and to prove his point he de-modded all the CCP staff on the forums and changed some CCP posts around. CCP's reaction? An "unexplained downtime due to problems" lasting 3 weeks and a lifetime ban for the veteran player, mostly for making CCP look bad. I'm hoping this same shit won't repeat itself for the new forums.

Meanwhile subscription numbers and 3rd party support continues to fade away. EVEMon at least has found a new home, but another mainstay, EFT (Eve Fitting Tool) has died. Fortunately a new and more powerful utility exists which is still being updated.

The game celebrates its 15th birthday in May of next year. I think it'll live long enough to get there... but not much further than that.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
How could I miss this?

(Posted on behalf of Jurius Doctor [of Reddit, where this originated from])

"I, Jurius Doctor, and the undersigned, petition Crowd Control Productions (dba CCP Games) to label of the presently unnamed planetary fracking ores "Nemoyvite" in honour of Leonard Simon Nemoy, RIP.

I can think of no more fitting honour to the memory of a man who has played a great of science fiction, and who, on the destruction and rebirth of a planet, played a character immortalized by his return from the dead. Who has, in his personal life, forwarded the arts through photography, writing, music, and charitable works.

Further, if CCP is so willing, I would posit we should name a moon or planet in EVE in his honour."

First reply:

Isn't it Leonard Nimoy?

Seriously Reddit...

And it keeps going:

Don't care enough to spell his name right but care enough to name a virtual space rock after him. Not sure what I'm supposed to think.

Thane Solus

Arcane
EVE is dead since 2009-2010, not sure what game are you talking about. The last nail was the microtransactions... Now everybody from Goons can be cool, or w/e...

Vrab

Learned
The game celebrates its 15th birthday in May of next year. I think it'll live long enough to get there... but not much further than that.

Is it that bad? I stopped playing seriously in 2011/12, with a few 1 month resubs afterwards. I remember walking in stations outrage, I was mostly worried because if there were things to do inside stations, no one would ever undock again. At least in lowsec. And it was hard to find targets as it was. I was actually glad they gave up on it. But afterwards I heard of the skillpoint extractors and injectors in store, they really lost me there.

You really think they won't live for much longer than a year? Sad if so, EVE has certainly been the best game I have ever played back in 2006-2011.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Vrab

I'll have to confess something first before I can answer your question: After my latest post I resubbed for a month and took a closer look at EVE.

To give a better answer in detail would be a monstrous wall of text (which may come at a later date) but the tl;dr answer now is that EVE will both never be the same as it was, and it will never be as big as it was during 2009-2011.

The Skill Extractor/Skill Injector thing was the deathblow. This may lead to the game dying for good one day, but for now it prevents the game from growing like it had up to 2011. Every aspect of EVE can now be resolved by throwing money at it... so if you're wondering how come another Null-Sec war is about to begin, ask yourself this question: Could it be that some of the big Alliance leaders are actually making real-life money off of EVE?

Vrab

Learned
Heh yes that is quite terrible. I wasn't sure what were they thinking with those things, but as I was already not playing and generally had no clue what was going on, I thought maybe they know what they are doing. Guess my fears were justified after all. I mean effectively it turns out to be a subscription based game with a p2w layer on top.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Skill Extractor/Skill Injector thing was the deathblow. This may lead to the game dying for good one day, but for now it prevents the game from growing like it had up to 2011. Every aspect of EVE can now be resolved by throwing money at it... so if you're wondering how come another Null-Sec war is about to begin, ask yourself this question: Could it be that some of the big Alliance leaders are actually making real-life money off of EVE?
So have they yet tried to hire hitmen from darkweb?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Err...wat?

Welcome To The Warzone - A Guest Blog From The EVE Valkyrie Team

On the 26th of September, some exciting changes are coming to EVE: Valkyrie that will open the hangar doors to a draft of new pilots. With the launch of EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone, you will no longer need a VR headset to join us in our epic first-person spaceship shooter!

Aside from including a non-VR version of the game, the Warzone expansion includes:

• New, next-generation fleet of ships with greater focus on specialised roles (assault, shotgun, sniper etc.)
  • A unique mod-based progression for every ship that allow further customisation of stats based on your preferred play-style
  • New Ultra abilities that can change the course of a battle with well-timed execution
  • 2 stunning new maps: Fleet – a Sisters of EVE station preparing for war, and Outpost – a remote Drifter structure that holds the key to new technologies
  • Mouse & keyboard support, with the option to fully key bind to your preference
  • New Capsule based reward system (with randomised loot!)
  • The exciting new CTF style game mode - Extraction
  • Updated and improved cockpit interiors and HUD, and fully revised menus and UI throughout the game.

This all sounds very familiar...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom