Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That in fact makes a lot of sense, and I'm not sure why they included that in the license so late.

CK2\eula\english.txt

Edit to whatever you like before agreeing.

I thought I'd pick up some of the expansions that I've missed over the years now that there's a Steam sale on Paradox titles, but damn I didn't realize how much they would add up to. I bought everything in blue over 3 years ago for $10 on Amazon (which was a pretty good deal in retrospect), so I assumed I'd get the rest of the DLC for around $20 on sale since most are over 1-2 years old. It seems like I was made a fool. Damn my "wanting a complete game" OCD. :mad:

So I removed every DLC that I don't really care about, like unit packs (except for the East/Western Clothing Pack which apparently the HIP mod requires), Dynasty Shields, EUIV converter, and the customization pack. So far the total is $65.64. Anyone have any recommendations on what else I can scrap? The green bars show what is in my cart, blue bars show what I already own.

Be content with staying 1 DLC behind the curve so you pay the discount price and don't remove the latest DLC from an inventory until it goes on sale with the next DLC release.

Otherwise there's still real good bundle deals that show up once in a while that will give you basically everything but the latest DLC for a fairly cheap price. Pretty rare though, like once or twice a year I think?

kris

Arcane
I thought I'd pick up some of the expansions that I've missed over the years now that there's a Steam sale on Paradox titles, but damn I didn't realize how much they would add up to. I bought everything in blue over 3 years ago for $10 on Amazon (which was a pretty good deal in retrospect), so I assumed I'd get the rest of the DLC for around $20 on sale since most are over 1-2 years old. It seems like I was made a fool. Damn my "wanting a complete game" OCD. :mad:

So I removed every DLC that I don't really care about, like unit packs (except for the East/Western Clothing Pack which apparently the HIP mod requires), Dynasty Shields, EUIV converter, and the customization pack. So far the total is $65.64. Anyone have any recommendations on what else I can scrap? The green bars show what is in my cart, blue bars show what I already own.

View attachment 7295

View attachment 7296

there are package deals that is much cheaper than just adding them up

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I tried including the Sept 2014 dlc bundle and removed the redundant dlc in my cart, and it increased the cost by $15 (which is pretty much the cost of the unit packs and other assorted dlc I already scrapped), so it doesn't really save me anything. I'll probably just settle for the content and portrait packs, and leave everything else alone. It's a pretty annoying dlc scheme. I'd pay a decent amount to support a good game, but paying for dlc like this makes me feel I'm not supporting the game itself, but supporting the practice of nickel and dime micro content. Oh well...

Fry

Arcane
I bought 3 portrait packs the day before this weekend sale. :oops:

At least now my Vikings look like Vikings before they inevitably die of consumption.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I tried including the Sept 2014 dlc bundle and removed the redundant dlc in my cart, and it increased the cost by $15 (which is pretty much the cost of the unit packs and other assorted dlc I already scrapped), so it doesn't really save me anything. I'll probably just settle for the content and portrait packs, and leave everything else alone. It's a pretty annoying dlc scheme. I'd pay a decent amount to support a good game, but paying for dlc like this makes me feel I'm not supporting the game itself, but supporting the practice of nickel and dime micro content. Oh well...

Just buy the expansions and leave the extra stuff aside.

Or you could add me on steam and I'll probably end up gifting you all of it, if you want. I'm practically financing CK2 for Kony/Konjad anyhow.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Just buy the expansions and leave the extra stuff aside.

Or you could add me on steam and I'll probably end up gifting you all of it, if you want. I'm practically financing CK2 for Kony/Konjad anyhow.
That's cool of you to offer that, but I'll get it myself. I'd only accept something like that if someone already had duplicate keys in their inventory and wanted to get rid of them, and even then I'd probably gift them something I had in return (which right now I only have a copy of EL:Guardians in my inventory.) Thanks for the offer though. :salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm just waiting for them to update the update so CK2 won't have the divide by zero AI pathfinding crash anymore so I can resume Gnacht now that I managed to hammer it to work with RD.

Though HIP for RD... :shredder:

Luzur

Good Sir
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/12/crusader-kings-2-random-map-mod/

New Worlds: Crusader Kings II Map & History Generator
Adam Smith on September 12th, 2016 at 9:50 am.
ckgenerator.jpg

When you start a new game of Dwarf Fortress, a world is generated. Not just a map, but a world, with its own legends, characters, factions and historical wars. It’s one of my favourite openings to any game and gets me far more hyped than any fancy cinematic intro.

Wouldn’t it be great if Crusader Kings II [official site] could do something similar, rather than sticking to actual historical beginnings? Thanks to a modder who goes by the name Yemmlie, it can. The CK2 Generator can create alternate histories, simulating the appearance and development of cultures, religions, languages, characters and all the rest. It defaults to the vanilla map but if you want a random world to play on as well, that’s supported.

When Yemmlie contacted me to let me know about the generator, I figured it’d just make a random map with factions spread across it. Instead, this is similar to the Dwarf Fortress ideal, using the game’s systems to create not only new factions and power struggles, but the historical rationale for their existence. Here’s how it works:

“Basically the tool will generate, from scratch, a completely new history of humanity from its first exodus from Africa as a new mod to be playable in CK2 (and now optionally an entirely random map!). A random culture and pagan religion is formed (as in completely random, using all the parameters available for religions and cultures in CK2, as well as forming a unique language used to name characters, provinces, kingdoms, gods, religions. These cultures will then spread throughout europe, mutating and changing as they spread, words and language, religions, ethnicity, cultural ideals, laws, looting, river sailing, incest, religious heads, holy sites, wives, concubines and everything, all morphing, mutating and branching off as humans spread through time and land, and form a completely unique world with absolutely none of the vanilla cultures, religions, provinces, de-jure duchies or anything found in the base game.

“Then it starts generating the history in much greater detail, a simpler simulation than CK2, nevertheless it processes births, deaths, marriages, inheritances, wars and conquests to create full dynasty family trees, title histories, dejure kingdoms and empires, conquered lands, to create a starting point for the player to drop into and start creating their own histories in-game.”

That use of “basically” at the beginning of the first paragraph is fantastic, isn’t it? “Basically, the tool goes above and beyond what you might expect in just about every way. Basically.”

Currently in beta, the generator doesn’t seem to be entirely stable, with some reports of first and second attempts failing, and a fair amount of time required for it to complete its task, but I managed to get it working last night and everything seemed to work first time. I haven’t actually spent any time playing with my new world though. It exists but hasn’t been thoroughly tested.

Instructions for use are over on the subreddit, including a step-by-step guide to using the recently added map generation tool as well as the actual history generator.

Every time a new CK II expansion arrives, I plan to spend a few days playing and never find enough time to scratch beneath the surface (there are still far too many games). This seems far more likely to absorb me than any of the recent official releases though, simply because I’m fascinated by the stories it tells even before a game has started.

Currently, it’s only supported on Windows and all of the information and links you need are right here.

Sounds like the stability issue is with the generator itself (crashing?), not the mod it generates having problems.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hello all, it’s time for a CK2 DD once again. Now before I get into the meat of this one, I want to let you know that DDs between DLCs are going to be shorter than the big feature-explainers I could write during Reaper’s, so don’t be surprised if some are brief.

Moving on, work on 2.6.2 continues well, and I’ll post the patch notes when it’s closer to being done, but some fixes that may interest people include:
  • AI Characters are much less likely to take Experimental treatments for minor illnesses, which means you should see less maimed or insane character about in the world.
  • Patricians can now properly Go into Seclusion and Search for Court Physicians.
  • Characters under 16 no longer get gout.

We have added more Game Rules:
  • Supernatural events can be set to Unrestricted, allowing the AI to have fun with them too.
  • Both Mongol and Aztec invasions can be set to “Delayed Random” where they will show up at random but not before the year 1000 and not before the game has been played for 50 years.
  • Turkic Conquerors can be set to Historical/Random/Off.
  • Way of Life users can set Dueling to Normal/Restricted/Unrestricted.
  • Both Vassal and Demesne limits can be set to Normal/Unlimited/50%/25%
  • Grant Independence can be set to Normal/Unrestricted.
  • Assassinate plots in MP can be set to Normal/No Players/No Players + Heirs/No Player Dynasty.

We have also continued to add more Content, including:

The various Defensive Pagan faiths now allow you to pick a Patron Deity granting a bonus to certain stats, and allowing access to certain new events:
index.php

index.php

Plus, all Pagan religion now have their own Valhalla-bound equivalent:
index.php

Characters in Seclusion may find they have an uninvited guest:
index.php

Immortal characters are now a lot more likely to wake up from Incapacitating head wounds, and there is no longer an age limit on said event for Immortals.
Even non-depressed Immortals who find that life Eternal isn’t all that great may now attempt to end their life.
Not only that, it’s also possible that Immortal characters may find they are not the only people to have found Eternal life, and that their brethren are not the most welcoming types:
index.php

say one thing for Rurik Rurikid, say he's lucky

And that's it for now, see you next week!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dev-diary-23-more-rules-less-lunatics.968680/

Sounds cool. Wonder if unrestricted supernatural stuff means we'll have spawn of Lucifer and immortals everywhere. They are rare events but when you have a few thousand rulers checking the random event pool every day its gonna come up constantly.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Good to see yet more rule variations. As the choices expand, I hope they will also make it possible to set your rules as the default. It's annoying having to check the rules every time you start a new game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm a bit disappointed the immortals duel does not end with a decapitation. Its a matter of form.

Sounds cool. Wonder if unrestricted supernatural stuff means we'll have spawn of Lucifer and immortals everywhere. They are rare events but when you have a few thousand rulers checking the random event pool every day its gonna come up constantly.
I've never actually had any of the supernatural events happen to me, unless Gates of Hell counts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom