Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC game: Silver (Infogrames)

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello,

I was searching trought my game collection and found my Silver disks again. I was thinking that I didn't see this game mentioned here at RPGcodex.

So post your thought about the game please.

I liked the game very much in the past, however I got lots and lots of crashes that ruined it for me. I can't even get it to work now... too bad.

here are some ingame video of the gameply for the ones that don't know yhe game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQzddATrqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM881Agm49M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHc8BOppF4

Deleted member 7219

I played the demo pretty much non-stop when it first came out.

Never got the game, though.

Section8

Cipher
I have a copy of it somewhere I picked up at a garage sale, though I can't remember actually playing it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I received it for christmas in the year it came out...

I must've been 12 years back then (it was 1999, or not?).

Still remember many scenes of it, although I never (!!) played it again, as its linearity doesn't offer anything new.
So all I can say from memory is that this game is a very good Action-Adventure (has nothing to do with RPGs, though...) with a very good story and a man that screams some weird stuff during/after the installation. Damn.. why can I remember this?..

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
thesheeep said:
So all I can say from memory is that this game is a very good Action-Adventure (has nothing to do with RPGs, though...) with a very good story and a man that screams some weird stuff during/after the installation. Damn.. why can I remember this?..

yea its not a real RPG, I agree but nowadays games with a leveling up system and the possibility to use magic are easly put under the RPG genre... guess its more lika an JRPG.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It is a mixture of a Diablo clone with a heavy JRPG influence. I got it off the bargain bin years ago and thought ti was just okay. It was pretty linear from what I remember.

Nedrah

Erudite
jorgamesh said:
something completely unrelatedl

Congratulations on your avatar jorgamesh. I heard nothing but good things about it, so far. This might be your chance to redeem it.

made

Arcane
Yea, it's a fun jRPG kind of game.

Sadly I never finished it due to some showstopping bug halfway through.

musashi

Novice
Silver game is Back

Spiral House is the creator of Silver Game. Infogrames published it. Now infogrames does not exist anymore and has been bought by ATARI.

After 8 years the site of Spiral House re-opened including a forum.
After 8 years Spiral House managed to convince ATARI to create Silver again in Nintendo DS and with some luck to proceed with the creation of Silver 2.

In that forum there are hundreds of funs that still did not forget this game. Almost all admit that even today there are no games that talk to the heart like Silver does. Many other admired the music of this game.

www.spiralhouse.co.uk/forum
You will find many screenshots of the game, savegames, Paches that play on XP, a new website created by "Sylph" about silver game including a full video guide which is also
posted in youtube.

Good Luck!!!

Micmu

Magister
It's a neat game but again, what does it have to do with "RPG Discussion"? It's really a pure 100% action/adventure, not even jRPG.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I remember playing this several years ago. As far as I remember it pretty much sucked. Easy as as a hooker on crack in the beginning up to an encounter that were nigh impossible (some form of tree-beasts or other AFAICR). Pure railroad and spiky hair didn't exactly add to the enjoyment either. Okay game for the type it was, but certainly nothing special.

RAG

Educated
Re: Silver game is Back

--Off Topic--
musashi said:
Infogrames published it. Now infogrames does not exist anymore and has been bought by ATARI.

This is not truth. Infogrames bought Atari and not the other way around. Infogrames used the much more recognizable brand name and logo of Atari to avoid the "hate the French" trend going on in America during the time of acquisition

Relayer71

Liturgist
Played the Dreamcast version.

I remember it being rather average, with an annoying design similar to Final Fantasy 7 - 2d backgrounds with polygonal characters which works ok for turn based combat bot not as well for real-time diablo style clickfests.

Relayer71

Liturgist
thesheeep said:

Wow, not very strong in math are you?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Relayer71 said:
thesheeep said:

Not very strong in reading comprehension are you?

He meant he was 12 years old. Not that 1999 was 12 years ago.

A user named cat

Silver's camera is a headache and that's an understatement, trust me. Sometimes the fixed view is so zoomed out you're constantly swinging at air trying to strike enemies which resemble ants. The controls don't help either and the game itself is all around below average, forget the tiny cult following it has.

If you're going to play a jRPG knockoff (like mentioned though, really more action-adventure), then just play an actual jRPG. Many people referred it to as being Final Fantasy-like, but it's even worse than FF 8. It's just not worth bothering with.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist

RAG said:
--Off Topic--
musashi said:
Infogrames published it. Now infogrames does not exist anymore and has been bought by ATARI.

This is not truth. Infogrames bought Atari and not the other way around. Infogrames used the much more recognizable brand name and logo of Atari to avoid the "hate the French" trend going on in America during the time of acquisition

Sounds like they should have killed the source through buying out Vivendi instead.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Well, I thought it was a fun hack&slash type game, actually.

Also, the XP patch is a lie. The fucker won't run. I remember it was troublesome getting it to run even on slightly older hardware.

Marsal

Arcane

MaskedMartyr said:
Sounds like they should have killed the source through buying out Vivendi instead.
I think Vivendi is (and was) a big ass company, with games division being just a small part (before WoW). If I recall correctly they managed to rack up losses measured in tens of billion dollars a few years ago. There were even rumors of selling Blizzard. I bet they sure are glad they didn't do that :)

Relayer71

Liturgist
cardtrick said:
Relayer71 said:
thesheeep said:

Not very strong in reading comprehension are you?
He meant he was 12 years old. Not that 1999 was 12 years ago.

Oops, my apologies.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I played it and quite liked it.
I've never played a JRPG, maybe I should try a couple.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I bought the Mac version originally, and it turned out that they did such a half-assed job programming it that it would ONLY work on ONE particular(and relatively obscure) model of the original iMac, needless to say, which I did NOT own(had a PowerMac G4/500(sawtooth) and a Powerbook).

Years later, I did end up acquiring a Windows version of the game, but never got around to playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom