Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

baturinsky

Arcane

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh noes... a puzzle!

7pSfepE.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh, ok, nvm. I thought you were using something else, seeing how you had almost perfect hexagons.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Oh, ok, nvm. I thought you were using something else, seeing how you had almost perfect hexagons.

"demo 1" above can hexagons too. And I can use something other than slightly camouflaged hexagon grid, just by uncommenting some lines and commenting others.
I have used (barely camouflaged) hexes, because I wanted more predictable and obvious topology, so user can see what borders what at glance.

I will likely eventually add cell partitioning variants among other map generation options. Maybe even add EU option i.e. big water regions, land regions size depending on land's quality etc.

vean

Scholar
Pissed off by KSP crashing, I worked on Open Space Program some more

EdTe7Q8.png

k31OgYe.png

First time I flew into orbit from the ground

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Early work-in-prorgess of my hex terrain system. Rather rough around the edges, but I'm happy with what I got so far and having a great time coding it.

vean

Scholar
qcNa83G.png

3wCWSCe.png

Now with pretty colors

(Actually if anyone knows a function that maps terrain heights to semi-realistic colors that would be great)

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
(Actually if anyone knows a function that maps terrain heights to semi-realistic colors that would be great)

I believe it's usually done via shaders - you take a set of a few textures and blend them according to vertex height. Your case is only slightly different, since you'd be using coordinates from the planet's center outwards.

vean

Scholar
I know where to put it, I need a function Color(Height). But this is fine for now too I guess.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Work continues on my old-school dungeon crawler. Seems to be coming along nicely for something I've only been working on for about three hours a week in the last ten months:

6z0e9z.jpg

gaussgunner

Arcane
My shitty browser trpg v0.0.3
http://machiaville.neocities.org/tactics-demo/game.html

Added weapons, ranged attacks, a little more UI feedback, and a help screen. AI is still submoronic but pretty dangerous with a rifle.

Hoping for some early feedback on stepwise combat....

Also wondering, how strong is the stigma against web games? Would anyone play this? There's no account signup, no tracking, no ads, no social crap. Savegames will be saved locally. You can actually download the web page and play offline.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012

Added weapons, ranged attacks, a little more UI feedback, and a help screen. AI is still submoronic but pretty dangerous with a rifle.

Also wondering, how strong is the stigma against web games? Would anyone play this? There's no account signup, no tracking, no ads, no social crap. Savegames will be saved locally. You can actually download the web page and play offline.

You could wrap the html in a platform-dependent executable and you'd have no stigma issues. Nobody needs to know what language it is made with. :)

baturinsky

Arcane

Web game can be wrapped into non-web game, and is easy to port to lot of platforms. Including web platform.

Also, there is a ton of free assets in the net that could make your prototype less bleedy-eyey until you find the artist.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I ordered myself one of these:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paperlike-world-s-first-e-ink-monitor-13-3/x/15006527#/

I am excited about it. My dry eye inflammation has been crippling any serious coding efforts. I can write a utility to send Emails or copy files, but not anything real, which requires sitting down for hours of work every day. I can't imagine that I may be able to actually work on games again. Trying not to get too... optometristic

Ninjerk

Arcane
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paperlike-world-s-first-e-ink-monitor-13-3/x/15006527#/

I am excited about it. My dry eye inflammation has been crippling any serious coding efforts. I can write a utility to send Emails or copy files, but not anything real, which requires sitting down for hours of work every day. I can't imagine that I may be able to actually work on games again. Trying not to get too... optometristic
Shelter when?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Shelter when?

"Compound" is too large of a project in its intended form of being a Fallout clone. I can't afford to keep investing time and money in it, until I have something else to support me that's not a pie in the sky.

I am pursuing my earlier prototype of creating brand-new gameplay mechanics. Because brand-new gameplay mechanics interest me more now, and they don't require me to hand-craft 19 settlements with branching dialogue trees and multiple quest outcomes.

And by these gameplay mechanics I don't mean quirky fucking indie platformers or roguelikes. Not dog food for other people. Something that actually *I* would want to play, you know? As an adult. Who wants to experience something new for once.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Paperlike: World’s First E Ink Monitor...
:bounce:
...with a full-sized (13,3") screen...
:negative:
...$995...
:argh:

baturinsky

Arcane
My kind-of-playable game prototype for Defold jam

https://baturinsky.github.io/GlueTime/index.html

It's not running good on Firefox for some reason, but is smooth on Opera and Chrome. OR use exe - https://github.com/baturinsky/baturinsky.github.io/releases/download/0.2/GlueTime.zip

It was not the game I was going to make on Defold initially, but when I have started to learn Defold, I have felt that it wants me to make a SHMUP on it.

With physics.

And so I did. Though I have found soon that Defold is not that good with some advanced stuff like dynamically changing shapes, so I had to do it myself. It's not that hard, actually, Defold still does collision detection, I had only count the forces. This article http://chrishecker.com/images/e/e7/Gdmphys3.pdf was very helpful.

Here is a screenshot
9OJVLcN.jpg

Pool balls are placeholders, they are supposed to be really battered up ball-shaped spaceship modules.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
It's not running good on Firefox for some reason, but is smooth on Opera and Chrome.

It's pretty good in Palemoon.

I've given up on realtime web games though. At any given time in the last few years, I was only getting reliable performance in one major browser, or none. Overall they seem to be getting shittier.

baturinsky

Arcane
It's not running good on Firefox for some reason, but is smooth on Opera and Chrome.

It's pretty good in Palemoon.

I've given up on realtime web games though. At any given time in the last few years, I was only getting reliable performance in one major browser, or none. Overall they seem to be getting shittier.

If you want EXE, here it is https://github.com/baturinsky/baturinsky.github.io/releases/download/0.2/GlueTime.zip

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom