Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Humans and Monsters

crpgnut

Augur
First dungeon, I get unable to find file: Graphics/Faces/books and game closes.
witch game?

The one I bought, Realm of Darkness :) I go to the mine, head left and it popped up. I will go back and try again and see if it is repeatable. I wanted to go back and buy a pick and shovel before I head back in.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
crpgnut go to the LP Forum. There is a stickied couple of threads that will help you start a LP. Also, if you want a file saved directly to a folder, I believe the keystroke to take a full screen screenshot is winkey+Prntscrn

kieferd20

Ellis Studios
Developer
witch game?

The one I bought, Realm of Darkness :) I go to the mine, head left and it popped up. I will go back and try again and see if it is repeatable. I wanted to go back and buy a pick and shovel before I head back in.
Yes just save that image to your realm of darkness graphics/faces folder and you will be fine
http://ellisstudios.org/books.png

kieferd20

Ellis Studios
Developer

kieferd20

Ellis Studios
Developer

put this file in the graphics/faces folder
http://ellisstudios.org/books.png

That fixed it, thanks. Question, I bought a shovel, it works fine outside. In the mine, it keeps saying I need a shovel, though I have one. How do I use the shovel in the dungeon?
let me check on that
That will be fixed in next patch it was not supposed to be there disregard that spot.

crpgnut

Augur
If i had a suggestion, it would be to cut back on random encounters. I have had 27 fights on the first level of the mines. Kinda silly for a very small area.

kieferd20

Ellis Studios
Developer
If i had a suggestion, it would be to cut back on random encounters. I have had 27 fights on the first level of the mines. Kinda silly for a very small area.
Ye I know what you mean.....Humans and Monsters was cut way back.

crpgnut

Augur
Great, I've moved to the game that this thread is actually talking about :) Still have to play a stupid fighter, so I named him Hack&/. You might want to think about allowing character creation sometime. It's been in existence since the early 1980's in crpgs. Of course, not every game has it, but most of these type do. One thing I noticed right off is that the dungeons are the same ones in Realms. Fresh coat of paint maybe.

Also, I've tried getting to town 4 times so far; on easy. I keep running into bats that do an average of 30 damage/attack and I have 26 hp on my tank. Level 1 and I put every stat into HP and I can't live long enough to level up yet. Lol! There are 3 of these bats, so 90 damage/round if they all hit. Same 3 characters that were in the first game.

Same thing with the number of battles too. If you're lucky, you can go 5 steps without a fight and occasionally 10. No longer than that. No map, so you have to backtrack a bunch to see where you've been. I'd say this game is likely for sadists only, but I'll give it the rest of today to decide for sure.

OMG, you can't save on most maps in Monsters and Humans. There is this massive forest just after you reach the first town. You can't save on it and there about 400000000 random battles where your party members will die. It has been just my fighter for over half the map. Also, there is no sleeping either. So your magic users are out of mana almost immediately. Now you might be able to buy potions for that, but I didn't have any gold yet.

Needs a patch to add save anywhere and a bedroll, so you can sleep. Either that or add some tents to the forest at a few locations.

Last edited:

crpgnut

Augur
As far as these games coming out back to back to back, yeah they all use the same basic assets as far as I can tell. Same town names, some buildings are almost exactly the same, etc. This is like as if Exile and Avernum were released within weeks of each other. Same game, slightly tweaked. It is similar to playing Keep on the Borderlands but with 3-4 different dungeon masters/house rules. For instance RoD has attributes that you level up, whereas in SB those stats go up automatically. I can see why these guys aren't trying to go GoG or Steam. No way would they be able to put up more than one of these for sale.

As far as the claim of hundreds of hours goes, there are so many random battles that you can spend 10 hours on a couple maps. I'd like to know how much time the game takes outside of combat. It doesn't look like much at all, but I haven't progressed that much in any of them. The village of Trent takes about 20 minutes to do. All of the quests, so far, are extremely simple. Find my dog, kill a certain critter, empty a dungeon. This would be fine....in 1990. Then again they're only asking for $5. How much do we expect for that small amount?

Maybe somebody that doesn't work 60 hours a week will do a Let's Play. I've never done one and have zero interest, as I don't watch these types of things and could care less if anyone ever hears my voice :D

...outside of Wave of Darkness (freebie voice work haha)

The Dev that posted here seems really nice, so I hope that the studio does okay. I got more than my $5 of customer service already. I've tried 3 of the games and I seem to like Savage Bliss the best, YMMV.

Mustawd

Weird. I get a ding from McAfee and Kapersky on it. My Kapersky is old though....I have no idea how to post a screenshot of a file from my pc here. I'm not anit-Ellis Studios though. It seems okay to me, to be honest. Arrow keys do work! Anything else obvious that I'm missing? I wouldn't know the first thing about a Let's play. Somebody will do one, it is inevitable.
What to do to provide a screenshot:

1. Press PrtScrn or PrintScreen on your keyboard, it will take a screenshot of your current display, the shit you see on your monitor.
2. Open MS Paint, use ctrl v to paste it into the program.
3. You can crop the screenshot and then save it on your computer.
4. Go to some image hosting website like imgur.com and upload the file there.
5. Copy the link imgur gave you here and we will be able to look at the screenshot. Direct link to image or whatever imgur wants to call the link.
6. ???
7. Prosper!

Nah, just use snipping tool if on Vista or any other OS that's newer. Snip then save to a file. Then follow steps 4 and 5.

crpgnut

Augur
I wouldn't call it decline. I think they've been messing with the rules/engine and seeing what works best. I don't know how they keep track of which game is which though. They're all so similar; at least so far. I also keep running into multiple broken quests, so I don't think much testing has been done. I emailed kieferd20 yesterday about the mines in Savage Bliss. I've been through all 3 levels multiple times and I can't get the Elder or the Wizard to acknowledge it. I've killed the boss monster too, so I'm stuck. Maybe I'll play that quest in ROD or Humans and Monsters and see if it can be completed. If it exists in those games. I'm not sure what is different and what is the same in each game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom