Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ortucis

Prophet
No they didn't. They played it after it was released, not before. Before Sean showed a video and stood in front of it with a gamepad pretending to play it.
gaming journos played No Mans Sky before release. That's why there was so much ambiguity about what you do in the game.

The gaming "journos" got played by Sean, they didn't play jack. They were most likely invited to take freebies like Toilet Paper, by Sony, as a bribe. Star Citizen is publicly available to everyone, not just lying scum journalists. Not to mention, the whole development is open for the public to see. If you see new Citizen Con, they even spend time to show the editor and how they can seamlessly jump into planets from the editor itself (like Unreal 4, but on bigger scale).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What is like the most about their choice in making planets 1:1 is sense of scale

Planets in Star Citizen are not 1:1 to scale.
The planet at Gamescon demo was about 2000 km in diameter (I believe the planet in the last demo was about the same)

Earth has 12.000 km in diameter. Mars has roughly half. The Moon has about 3.400 km. Mercury 4.800 km.

A "planet" with a 2.000 km diameter and an atmosphere (let alone weather dynamics) is total bogus.

Also what is totally jarring for me is how close planets are of each other which is also totally bullshit from a realistic point of view.

Last edited:

vean

Scholar
A "planet" with a 2.000 km diameter and an atmosphere (let alone weather dynamics) is total bogus.
Not quite -

The atmosphere of Titan is largely nitrogen; minor components lead to the formation of methane and ethane clouds and nitrogen-rich organic smog. The climate—including wind and rain—creates surface features similar to those of Earth, such as dunes, rivers, lakes, seas (probably of liquid methane and ethane), and deltas, and is dominated by seasonal weather patterns as on Earth. With its liquids (both surface and subsurface) and robust nitrogen atmosphere, Titan's methane cycle is analogous to Earth's water cycle, although at the much lower temperature of about 94 K (−179.2 °C).

2575km radius, 1.5x earth surface pressure

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
2575km radius, 1.5x earth surface pressure

...and even higher density. But you wouldn't get that at Earth-distance from a star where liquid water can form, because the temperature would be high enough that low mass gasses would escape. Also, Titan is mostly shielded by Saturn's magnetosphere so the kind of atmosphere-stripping you'd get in the case of an exposed small planet without a magnetic field doesn't happen. A 2000km diameter planet at Earth distance with a thick atmosphere wouldn't happen (at least for any length of time).

Latelistener

Arcane

Scary shit.
I warned you.
PYcc.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sandi makes a habit of lamenting and playing the victim with a teary voice on stage.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Smart sez:

Ok. I actually watched this one.

Here’s my take on it:

Backers, you guys are getting fucked. Get a refund.

Reasons are in the video.

The WHOLE video was not about Star Citizen OR Squadron 42. It was about making a cinematic movie experience that looked like a demo for these games.

They have nothing. Pretty assets and some overly complex systems that are so complex they lost themselves in them. They need to do a for real refactoring on their code base. That blond guy looks like he’s gone crazy when trying to describe the systems to Chris. This is bad mojo. Your game is years, and probably a whole new engine, away.

This was an apology video, and I see they tried to pull heartstrings by putting people behind the catastrophic failure, but Chris remains a clueless dick. Listen to the verbiage he uses. He has no clue, and only cares about how things look and appear.

The developers are overwhelmed and overworked. I hate to tell you but crunch time all the time doesn’t make your product better, it usually makes it more broken in the long run.

Speaking of that, there is no long run. They literally pulled everybody everywhere for the demo(s). That they could not even tie enough shit together to splice a basic demo together at this point should also alarm you. You should be wondering why this is the case.

Why was nothing nailed down?

Why were basic elements like the radar changing between demo builds?

Why are AI non functional at all?

I saw this, and it looks like not even the basic designs of the majority of the game are nailed down. It looks to me like Chris evaluates videos and animations of “gameplay” and directs people to fix things based on cinematic happenstance instead of mechanical and programmatic functionality from a gameplay perspective. It’s all shit, and it’s not even at a design document level of completion.

This stuff is so pre-alpha they really are telling the truth when they say “it’s alpha!” But not including the pre part.

Guys, for serious. This game is not coming out any time soon. I would be honestly surprised if you see a Squadron 42 mission example prior to mid to late 2017.

There will be no Christmas release of anything consequential.

All staff are busy making non-playable demos and Chris is shooting shitty ideas off that people need to implement as he thinks them up on the spot.

Chris Roberts is literally keeping the game down. And he is so out of his depth, and doesn’t know anything about it it’s sad. He’s making movies and that’s it. There was no gameplay anywhere unless you count broken AI or cloth physics on a model as gameplay.

However! If you like non-playable “demos” I have a feeling you are in for a treat! You will get those. Very pretty, very scripted, totally non-playable game “slices”. And thus this is how CIG will continue to milk that cash cow.

And my final verdict is:

The illusion of progress. – A Chris Roberts Demo

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Damn, this surely is a gift that just keeps giving :D

I should probably mention that the largest ship currently in the game, is the Starfarer which clocks in at around 100m long. And the game world can’t even host it without major issues. Well, this Polaris, at around 155m long, and wider, is going to be fantastic – if it ever gets built. The most hilarious part yet, is the fact that some of these ships require a crew of dozens (23 in the case of the Polaris btw). The game currently falls over – and dies with more than 8 people in an instance (oh wait! you didn’t know it was instanced?). And they haven’t got to the MMO part of the development yet.

Can't wait for the Starcitizenleaks. They will be writing books about this one.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Damn, this surely is a gift that just keeps giving :D

I should probably mention that the largest ship currently in the game, is the Starfarer which clocks in at around 100m long. And the game world can’t even host it without major issues. Well, this Polaris, at around 155m long, and wider, is going to be fantastic – if it ever gets built. The most hilarious part yet, is the fact that some of these ships require a crew of dozens (23 in the case of the Polaris btw). The game currently falls over – and dies with more than 8 people in an instance (oh wait! you didn’t know it was instanced?). And they haven’t got to the MMO part of the development yet.

Can't wait for the Starcitizenleaks. They will be writing books about this one.

Smart is actually working a book.

croberts-burns-money.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find it interesting how the fans of the game accept that video as something good, something that shows progress. To me and many others it just shows that they have nothing in place. It reminds of me Daikatana thing. I think you can read about on John Romero's blog, I'm not 100% sure though, but they promised the world, and basically had nothing ready for E3(think it was E3), so they worked their asses off just to present a "vertical slice" of the game. Sure, that game was released, but yeah, the rest is history.

:Flash:

Arcane
I find it interesting how the fans of the game accept that video as something good, something that shows progress. To me and many others it just shows that they have nothing in place. It reminds of me Daikatana thing. I think you can read about on John Romero's blog, I'm not 100% sure though, but they promised the world, and basically had nothing ready for E3(think it was E3), so they worked their asses off just to present a "vertical slice" of the game. Sure, that game was released, but yeah, the rest is history.
It reminds me of the 1999 trailer for Duke Nukem forever. If you look at it now you can see that it was all smoke and mirrors, but back then I didn't realize it. That Star Citizen video works exactly the same way.

Drakron

Arcane
The funny thing is one of "them" goes about TEH EBIL PUBLISHERS!!!! about how they force deadline and how ...you know and ignores the fact its not as if those 100+ people all want to do the same thing, that they arent hired to do very specific jobs and the only people that have, actually the only person that makes the decisions is Chris Roberts, they are giving him money for his game, everyone else is hired help.

And then we have DN4E as a example of moving the goal posts because technology keeps going on, the publishers know every well that they cannot wait 10 years for the "masterpiece" to come up and FUND the entire studio for said 10 years because there is no fucking way they are going to see their money back, it would just end up like oh ... DN4E, that game is cautionary tale of development hell and how if you dont release within a specific timeframe you might as well trash the entire thing because it will be dated, not only graphically but also from a design standpoint because designers love to add trendy shit that may or may not be around 3 years down the line.

They are fooling themselves into thinking this is not another "No Man Sky" and I never looked into that one because I am not stupid, could see it was writing checks it could not cash ... same with Star Citizen, if you dont just keep piling features when you dont even have the basic build done, if he was ... responsible, a lot of those features would be added later after the framework was done and it worked but he wants everything at release, well not everything at release and that is if this actually releases because this is the new DN4E.

This whole thing just makes me feel sad. I don't think this is a straight-up scam, but it's clearly a cult of personality built around a man who doesn't understand how to make video games. The PC Gamer article called it "a perfect confluence of player fantasy and the crowd-funding explosion." In other words, a bunch of people who place all of their hopes and dreams of unfulfilled life-long dreams of space exploration in a single man and they think that it'll work because it doesn't have traditional publishers or real game developers attached.

Maybe this will turn into an actual game some day, years from now. If the whole thing doesn't implode and someone other than Chris Roberts gains control of the project, then it might be salvaged. There's clearly some impressive tech being built for the tech demos. I can't help but imagine it's just going to crash and burn, though. The real question is when will it happen and how bad will it be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom