Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Kipeci

Arcane
My bad for not getting back to you earlier, Kipeci. The playground has lost its sense of community lately.
I'm voting for C>A because Erdrick is a businessman first, everything else later. Right now, we have the most fertile land and no people to farm it and no military to enforce our claim on it. We could very well establish our own city-state over here which plays to Erdrick's strengths very well.
I understand what you mean. The activity has slowly died off ever since the CYOAs were collected into their own sub-forum (I guess because no one wants to click that one extra time?), and some of our bros have been bleeding out to elsewhere.

I'm in agreement with you about Erd setting up some arrangement with all the humans that have settled nearby to create a solid core extending beyond the immediate reach of Grahferde, that's definitely a cool thing that needs to be done. The thing is, I don't think that C does that precisely. We're having Erd venture alone below the Earth to hopefully murderlate any abominations he finds and reconnect the conduit that was powering up all the golems previously. He definitely has an army then, but the shortcomings of that army are well known already and we still don't have those sort of close connects with humans to gain some actually skilled subordinates that we've continually suffered from. If the mission doesn't go well, we find whatever other new and exciting way that Erd can be imprisoned and out of commission for some period of years.

I'd really prefer to leave C off until we have some sort of beginnings of an officer corps in place that can effectively guide the golems and some strong friend such as Rin to have our back in case something doesn't go as planned. Slimes admittedly don't help out on that front, aside from slimelords which are probably some ways off, but I'm worried that we may not be able to regenerate our slimes for forever and they provide a lot of potential chemical research for Zayan that I think will be of critical importance. Think of the Golden Serpent and that black slime; both of them made heavy use of toxic powders that we no longer have immunity to, so any encounter with such a foe again is basically destined to go poorly unless we have a countermeasure in place.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right now, I'm more concerned with getting something to enforce our will in the area with.
Are they perfect? No.
Are they good enough for now to enforce our claim on the land so we can start collecting taxes and squeezing people into playing by our terms?
Yes and that's good enough for a starting point.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, the way I view it is that every single option is trying to allay that given that lack of forces or even competent subordinates who aren't busy with something is described right prior to the vote as our number one problem. Talking to the queen slime gets our slimes revived and possibly we recruit her along with whatever spare slimes she has lying around (I imagine that she doesn't need so many disposable slimes around given the catastrophe delivered to Methuss and the knights that would have otherwise been on patrol there the last few years), and that gives a lot of powerful jello to work with. Going to Erise ensures that we can demonstrate our power there and possibly leverage the good prior image to bring that area to heal directly, and the venture to Ontoglia allows us to see if the governor is still around. If so, it may be possible to bring him over to our side and whatever forces are still loyal to him.

A seems more directly relevant to what you're wanting than C, that's all I'm saying. Even with poor diplomacy and a total inability to gain anything positive from prior ties, sheer intimidation factor from Erd's powers basically guarantee that we're going to walk out of Erise with something nice at our disposal. And given that Erise is swelled to bursting with refugees and the rest of the land is a blasted shadow of what it once was, that should be a decent start to establishing authority everywhere while finding a way to actually incorporate humans into the state rather than just collecting tribute from them.

wjw

Augur
B > A

The humans are scared and scattered. The defeat of their capital city, the pollution of the two rivers by this unknown angel was an enormous catastrophy for them. Since we have fertile lands, and a human apparition this seems the safest route to go to. On the other hand. Humans are predictable and what do they have to offer except for... ore? Might as well try to up the scales and talke to the slime queen. But for all we know she turns us our hyperweapon into a slime monster. Not like the codex does not want that. So yeah.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry for the delay, was really fucking busy all of a sudden.

Final tally:

A - 3
B - 6
C - 4

Post-flop:

A - 5
B - 6
C - 2

Slimes, huh. Given that they resided in the north, closer to Byarlant, let's hope your babies haven't wrecked the place. :M

Kipeci

Arcane
Sorry for the delay, was really fucking busy all of a sudden.

Final tally:

A - 3
B - 6
C - 4

Post-flop:

A - 5
B - 6
C - 2

Slimes, huh. Given that they resided in the north, closer to Byarlant, let's hope your babies haven't wrecked the place. :M
Hold up, those giant winged babies are Erd's? I didn't think that was possible since they were described as giant and arriving in swarms while it happened so quickly after the angel went north, I thought that perhaps it might have something to do with some Overbaby lord existing somewhere and launching a scheme.

I guess I really should have put more research into anything to do with angel reproductive systems before probing one with Erd's dong.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Slime Springs No More

For all that has changed in the world, the magic circle you have placed in the northern forest still seems to be active. You touch the faded chalk-drawn patterns that you laid down a few years before, feeling the magic within resonate with yours.

“There’s no problem”, you say. “We’ll be able to use this.”

“Now isn’t that nice. Saves you a long caravan trip, and all,” says Zayan, busily overseeing the goblins. The little furry creatures are running to and fro hauling strange pieces of equipment. “Now just hold on a bit, I’m putting the finishing touches on something I’ve been working on. It’d do me a great, great, great favour if you would test it for me!”

“Really? How grateful would you be?” You stand up and sweep the dust from the ground with a wave of your hand.

“Grateful enough to make you vomit, my dear patron,” Zayan grins, winking at you.

You scowl at her, and she laughs. “It’ll be of help to you, I’m sure.”

“Helping you is helping myself, it’s its own reward, that sort of thing?” you mutter. Usually you would be suspicious of such requests, but Zayan is, well, Zayan. And her track record in inventions is quite proven. “So what is it that you made this time?”

Zayan laughs loudly and spins around to reveal her latest masterpiece:

A. A gaudy, ornate long-sword more fitting for ceremonial pomp than actual battle… or so it looks. It is well-crafted and looks like it could withstand a few blows. The core of the blade is forged with a new magnatite alloy that is specifically attuned to your Reality Tear, allowing you to imbue the sword with the spell’s properties.

B. A suit of plate armor, all black and spiky, with a blood-red cape. It looks very menacing and donning it would make anyone feel more empowered… or so it is claimed. It is lighter than it looks but offers superb protection. The armor has the added ability of flight, allowing you to soar into the sky even if you no longer have wings.

C. An amulet that is said to attract wealth and good luck. Zayan did not so much invent this as she purchased it off a travelling merchant and made her own improvements based off the latest in astrological advances… or so she says.

“You already have me, what do you need this for?” Barbatos says as you pick up Zayan’s latest invention.

“Why, I must tell you that I can do anything this thing can do, better!” claims the gauntlet, although you are dubious about his claims.

“Feeling a bit competitive there, are we?” you chuckle. “I thought you were not speaking to me anymore.” You had not heard his voice since not long after you began your stay in the regeneration pod.

“It is my habit to slumber, boy. If you sleep, so do I, and I take longer to rouse than you do. Call it age if you will.”

“Whatever it is, we’re back in action again, Barbatos. Let’s do a better job this time, shall we?” You sigh, stepping into the middle of the teleportation circle.

“Just punch more things and you will start to see how useful I can be!”

“Yes, yes…” Looking up, you call out to Zayan. “I’ll be off now! Just don’t blow anything up while I’m gone!”

“Worry not, I am not planning any experiments to do with exploding matter! There may be an implosion or two but I will be sure to keep it contained within reasonable parameters!”

Before you can ask her to clarify, the spell activates and you are sent off to the slimes’ forest.

When you were last here you had placed the teleportation circle right at the Queen’s spring. It was a wondrous spot of nature. Even you, who much preferred the bustle of a city with its rowdy merchants and jingling of coin, could recognize that. Sparkling water, lush green foliage, happy slimes, and a gorgeous slime queen.

None of that remains. The spring is dried up, the trees are withering, and there are no slimes to be seen. A thick miasma is in the air, dense enough that you can see it as a purple haze. The forest is utterly silent, with not even a single breeze to rustle the leaves. What could have been responsible for this?

“Maybe it was your attack on the capital?” theorizes Barbatos.

“Well, that is… possible,” you admit. “But it could still be something else.” Surely one moment of momentary carelessness couldn’t screw things up this bad, could it? You refuse to take responsibility before you have discovered where the blame truly lies, and at that time if you can use your knowledge to push responsibility onto someone else, you are sure you would feel better about it.

You begin to investigate the area. There are the remains of a campfire opposite your point of arrival. Looking at its traces you count perhaps five, six people have been here, as recently as a day ago. Thankfully they didn’t find and disturb your teleportation circle. At the bottom of the dried-out spring there is a hole in the ground. It slopes downwards, and from the steps carved into it evidently it wasn’t some natural sinkhole. The campers seem to have made their way underground, from the footsteps in the mud, and have not yet come back out.

Further away from the spring, there are signs of passage deeper into the forest. Trampled bushes and broken branches, and from the looks of it, they were made by something huge. The trail is fresh, and as you kneel to inspect the dead foliage, you catch sight of a drop of red amongst the green and brown. Raising your hand, you summon Barbatos.

“Hm, are we punching something, boy?”

You touch the red with your gauntleted finger. Blood, as you expected.

“Hey, did you just call me out for this?”

You dismiss Barbatos again. “That’s pretty handy. When I summon you again there won’t be any blood left behind, right?”

“No, but…”

“Well, can you tell what sort of blood I touched?”

Barbatos falls silent for a while. “Oh. Oh, this is a surprise. It’s elven blood. Elves. What is one doing all the way out here?”

You recall vaguely that Zayan once told you she was a half-elf. From what she said you had presumed they are a demi-human species of this land, just like the demons and angels. “That’s… a pretty handy function you have there, Barbatos. Very useful.”

“Oh, you know, once one has punched a thing or two a few hundred times and gotten its blood on you, one learns to distinguish between the blood of various species quite quickly! Guhahahahaha!”

“That’s great, that’s great. Now, here’s the more important question. Is it male or female?”

“Nope, can’t tell.”

“You’re useless.”

You look at the hole in the ground, and then at the trail leading away.

A. You decide to investigate the underground hole first. It seems a lot more important.

B. You follow the trail to try and track the elf. It might be a female elf. That’s pretty important.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That suit of armor sounds very handy. Especially since I also want to let Barbatos out a bit more, and so having extra protection should serve us well..
As for the second part, I'm not sure which I want more.

B
A>B

Kipeci

Arcane
CA > BA.

Definitely we need some more luck, all our defensive stats are already decent. At the same time, the suit is quite theatrical and flying is convenient.

I suspect that the hole has to do with what the Slime Queen wanted to keep away from people, and people are venturing down there. Seems like we ought to stop that.

Zayan is elf enough for me in the meantime, I want to get the slimes activated as we came here to do and I think the hole is the best bet for that.

lightbane

Arcane
So, the giant babies are Erd's somehow? Angelic reproduction is strange. Either way:
BA
Right now Erd is not in the state to see women.

Kayerts

Arcane
If we can't be a literal angel of death, we should at least try to be a spess mehren. Power armor it is!

BA

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Crawl

You descend the steps, into the darkness.

It is quite dark. Clearly it calls for a spell, and after mulling over it for a second you decide to use Dark-Sight. The tunnel in front of you brightens, as if illuminated with pale, silvery light. The gloom does not go away by much; a murky dimness still clouds your sight, but it is something you can work with.

As you proceed further, the roughly hewn steps give way to stone. The squelching under your boots turns to a loud clanking noise as the last of the mud is trod away underfoot. There is no denying it – the armour is not made with stealth in mind. You are forced to turn sideways to enter the narrow passageway at the bottom of the steps, the grandiose spikes on your armour jutting out at too sharp an angle to allow you to pass normally. Shuffling awkwardly, you move like a crab until the corridor opens out into a chamber.

There, silhouetted in silver, is a body. The fallen torch by its side still burns brightly, enough that with your Dark-Sight you can make out its condition. It is that of a man, slumped against the wall. His armour and cloak are that of a knight of Methuss. What is one of those doing in a place like this? From the looks of it he was felled by the large arrow protruding from his chest. As you cast your gaze around, you spot the likely culprit: a very basic, fundamental trap. A loose flagstone, a weighted trigger, and there you have it, one silly dead knight who didn’t look before he stepped.

Instinctively, you move towards the body to see if there is anything to loot. As you do so, your left foot lands on a strangely loose stone that sinks slightly when your weight presses down on it. There is a loud thwick in the air as yet another trap lets loose its deadly payload.

The arrow flies towards you, its trajectory swift and true, and promptly splinters against your Forceshield.

Having adventured with a rogue that neglected to disarm most traps, you have learnt to put your trust in your magic instead of your fellow companions. It’s a lesson that has served you well, for the most part.

As you kneel besides the corpse, it jerks and gasps. “W-who’s there? Mollen? Arnaut? Why did you come back here?” wheezes the knight, who is apparently not quite dead yet. You lower the fist that you had been planning to smash his head in with, just in case he turned out to be an undead of some sort.

“Guess,” you say, your voice made resonant by the helm you wear.

“You’re… no, you’re not,” he sighs, unable to even lift his head to glance at you. The knight takes a painful pause before continuing, “I do not know who you are, stranger, but this ruin is dangerous. Leave while you can.”

“If it is so dangerous, why are you here?” you ask, trying to dig for information as quickly as you can.

The knight does not answer, his breathing growing more and more shallow as he slips back into unconsciousness. You take the opportunity to search his belongings.

There is nothing of note, nothing that can be of use to you, not even a convenient scrap of paper that should have his orders written as plain as day, perhaps even signed off by a princess. Well, if any princesses survived that little fiasco at Yuiria, that is. You sigh at this lack of convenience and stand back up, looking around the chamber again.

Though it is too dim to make out any clear details, the walls are covered with carvings in a script unfamiliar to you. They might be telling you the purpose of this place, or perhaps it is a long and convoluted ancient joke, but you would not be able to tell, not without being literate in the language. There are no torches of any sort besides the one that the knight brought with him. Three other passages lead out of the square chamber, besides the one you entered from.

The passage ahead of you is wide, allowing you to travel normally. The air wafting from it is very cold, almost freezing in its iciness. That is certainly strange, and possibly a mark of a magical trap of some sort.

The passage to your left is narrow, and you would certainly have to turn sideways to navigate it again. The air from this passage is wet… musty, and pungent, like the breath of a beast. From the muddy footsteps you can tell that three other people have went this way; quite likely the comrades of the fallen knight.

And on your right lies the strangest passage of all: it is shaped exactly like the silhouette of a man, with limbs and head and torso carved into the rock. It would be impossible to enter this passage with your armor on – you would have to remove it and squeeze your way through. Its weird aesthetic aside, there is nothing else strange that you detect from this particular exit.

You decide to take the:

A. Front passage. It is wider, affording you more space to maneuver even in your bulky armour. Though a magical trap might lie ahead, you are confident in your abilities to handle it.

B. Left passage. The knight’s comrades have elected to go that way – perhaps they know something you don’t. You may be able to catch up with them and find out more about this place too.

C. Right passage. It is just absolutely interesting how this passage seems to be made for you. You remove your armour and see where this road takes you.

Before you leave, you wonder if you should try and heal the fallen knight. Although you are no medical expert, you can at least remove the arrow and use Minor Healing to aid him. Whether or not he survives afterwards is up to his own constitution.

A. You heal the knight. Though he would not be in a condition to speak immediately, putting him in your debt may be useful in the future.

B. You ignore the knight. Mana is not charity. You would rather hoard it for your own use. Besides, there is no telling if he will become an enemy in the future.

Kipeci

Arcane
Instinctively, you move towards the body to see if there is anything to loot. As you do so, your left foot lands on a strangely loose stone that sinks slightly when your weight presses down on it. There is a loud thwick in the air as yet another trap lets loose its deadly payload.

The arrow flies towards you, its trajectory swift and true, and promptly splinters against your Forceshield.

I love that Erd's immediate reaction after seeing a knight half-dead from a trap and thinking about how stupid he was is to walk into the same trap to grab at loot. :lol:

CA > BA
again for this vote.

Any chance to strip down is obligatory, and the lack of chilly drafts and mustiness indicate it as the comfiest place in here to get to exploring. If we are to go for something else, the sort of damp and musty option seems like it would probably be the preference of slimes compared to the chillier area.

I'm pretty ambivalent about healing him, but I figure if the guy is both dumb and weak enough to succumb to an arrow trap like an extra despite having had armor and friends he can't be all that threatening as an enemy. The mana cost is essentially trivial despite our reduced state, and it doesn't seem as if he'd be in a state to fight for quite a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom