Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence interview on Rock Paper Shotgun

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, don't you hear? It's overrated, 10.0 is way too much, 9.0, now there's a fair and balanced rating.

Also, I would -prefer- playing games as they were 1994. Back when, you know, games were good. And fun. Like, fun.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Vault Dweller said:
While Oblivion fails at the quality control for longevity, replayability, fun, scope and other things it is very good. I agree that it's overrated however, I'd say it deserves a 9.0
Uh... What?
??? So it was fundamentally thought-provoking and opened the horizon of everybody who played it?
If he doesn't play to have fun, why does he play?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think he means that it fails at quality control, but the other things are very good.

Else... well... else... well...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Are you saying that a game can't fail at fun, scope, and replayability and still be a 9/10 masterpiece?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
"Are you saying that a game can't fail at fun... and still be a masterpiece" - the opposite would be "Are you saying that a game can fail at fun, etc, and still be a masterpiece". That is silly of course. So I have to say yes to your question.

Yes, I am saying a game can not fail at fun, scope, and replayablity and still be a 9/10 masterpiece because when a game does not fail at fun, scope and replayability it is a good game. Oh semantics! I am sorry, the English language-

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Just so as I can catch up, are we now down with ‘Vince’?

He seems like some kind of god amongst men, yet he associates with RPG Codex and No Mutants Allowed people who, frankly, the genepool can do without.

I’m so confused.

:lol:

denizsi

Arcane
All of this guy's comments are completely valid. TB certainly has a noble RPG history, and a very viable place in RPGs that are for a more niche audience. I loved TB RPGs as a kid, from Fallout to Darksun. They encouraged clever planning, tactics, and a real sense of action and reaction.

The point he missed, however, is simply that the animations in his game look like COMPLETE SHIT, with guys prodding at each other. Hell, simply double the speed of those combat animations and you'd lose half of the complaints.

It seems like animation department alone could lift the bar much higher, especially for the game to make a name for itself after it will be out.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Volrath said:
Just so as I can catch up, are we now down with ‘Vince’?

He seems like some kind of god amongst men, yet he associates with RPG Codex and No Mutants Allowed people who, frankly, the genepool can do without.

I’m so confused.

:lol:
They've already "administratorized" the post. And mine, which now sounds awkward.

Amasius

Augur
All the comments are quite interesting to read but it's kinda alarming how many people are gone gaga by all the PR crap everyday so that they don't understand that a trailer can actually inform you about certain aspects of a game instead of just trying to dazzle you with fast packed action, bloom and loud music. The dumbed down generation... :roll:

Zomg

Arbiter
I always imagine Kieron Gillen tilting his head and smirking while wearing those giant pastel novelty sunglasses.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jasede said:
I think he means that it fails at quality control, but the other things are very good.

Else... well... else... well...
Ah, yes. I overread the "for" which should have had an extra komma, but maybe thats just my denglish.
Now that comment makes sense. I still wholeheartedly disagree.

elander_

Arbiter
Oblivion would be worth 6 in my scale but if i was a furry, being able to choose the hair style of my cat person or the lipstick color of my lizard bitch would give it 4 extra points right on. So 10 is mostly deserved or 9 if there isn't enough lipstick colors.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I dont get it either. VD pretty much did good PR on this interview, word gets around more ppl hear about this, if people hate it, too bad; but I bet more ppl like this fresh new 'honest' opinion, instead of hyping the game you're basically telling people why and what kind of stuff are you putting in there. You just split the internet for 29 dmg!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.guforums.com/showthread.php?t=12634

Next-Generation RPG definition - if it's in the past, it's an RPG, if it's in the future, it's an FPS

RPG means role-playing game, right? Virtually every game in existence you're filling some sort of role, whether it be running around shooting aliens, or playing emperor. But in general it's been used to describe games that occur in the past, whether realistic or fictional. Traditional RPG was very strategic, using turn-based systems to engage the player in strategy and long-drawn thought. But lately with the advent of gorgeous graphics, great physics, and good processing, people have been interested in games that make them think 'on their feet' so to speak, with real-time combat strategy. They can be called FPS if they take place in the future, which are typically the real-time combat shoot-em-up style (though there are some very strategic games lurking in the genre that need their own category), but for the games that take place in the past, the only home for them is in the RPG category. If there was a way to subdivide the RPG and FPS categories to allow for fast-paced action games and strategy-based games to be separated, I think that might help with the problem of them elbowing against each other menacingly.

On turn-based (different dumbfuck):

Well, I looked at the "Combat Video".

It would of been cool maybe 10 or more years ago. The last "turn based" game I played was the Bane of the Cosmic Forge series, which was...going on 15 years ago. The graphics look like the last Bane they produced which was early 90's iirc.

It does look nice that you can select what kind of attack your toon is going to do, but to be honest in todays market I don't see that appealing to a lot of people, its not fast paced enough and the graphics are cheez.

Yet another dumbfuck:

I also think Real Time is getting a bum rap in this deal. Let's take the ULTIMATE in Real Time RPG's... MMO's. No pausing, no turns, and when you're not even PLAYING, it's still going.

Would these qualify as "mindless"? I'd emphatically state they would not. Take an event like, say... the Queen Sendaii event in EQ. It's 2hours of non stop action. No breaks, no rest, no respite. But that doesn't make it mindless. In fact, you have to be aware of your surroundings, make snap judgements, and most importantly, pace yourself for the long haul. If you just go all out nuts, you'll likely wipe yourself.

Chess is NOT turn-based:

Even games like chess are not truely turn based. That's right, Chess is NOT a turn based game when played properly. It's timed. You don't have an infinite amount of time to plan and consider. You have to make judgements quickly. Which is exactly what real time games aim to do. Make you think, but think fast.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
Even games like chess are not truely turn based. That's right, Chess is NOT a turn based game when played properly. It's timed. You don't have an infinite amount of time to plan and consider. You have to make judgements quickly. Which is exactly what real time games aim to do. Make you think, but think fast.

Heh, yeah, sure. You don't have any time at all, chess is almost real-time because you have to think so fast! No wonder those chess tournaments are always over so quickly.

Geez, what an idiot.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Hehe usually I let you guys comment on the stupid comments but the one about chess in VDs post just made my soul ache.. A mind in malfunction..

pkt-zer0

Scholar

That's awesome. Nothing is truely turn-based, since you'll die sooner or later, anyway, and thus don't have an infinite amount of time to plan.

Shannow

Waster of Time
If walk a straight line from point a to point b you'll have to cross half the distance first. From there again you'll have to reach half the distance. Thus you will be just reaching infintesmal small half distances into eternity, never truly reaching point b.

NiM82

Prophet
So if VD ships AoD with a stopwatch he can claim it's realtime? Awesome.

Lurkar

Scholar
His name has Abaddon in it. That should really be a warning right from the start.

Also, I don't quite see why everyone is claiming "NO PROFESSIONALISM." Wait, where have I heard that before? Holy fuck, the entire internet is turning into that Chris Crocker person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom