Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Only one per franchise, and no particular order:

Morrowind
Fallout: New Vegas
Deus Ex
Myth II: Soulblighter
Exile II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Dwarf Fortress
Civilization IV
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy IX

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jagged Alliance 2 + 1.13 mod
Age of Decadence
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Divinity Original Sin
Paradox strategy games (Crusader kings, Europa Universalis)
Mount & Blade Warband
Hitman Blood Money
S.T.A.L.K.E.R series

Miner Arobar

Educated
In no particular order:

- Morrowind
- Crusader Kings (both I and II)
- King of Dragon Pass
- Ultima Underworld II
- Freespace II
- Skyrim
- Mount & Blade Warband
- Witcher III
- EU: Rome
- Conquests of the Longbow

Repressed Homosexual

Yes, it has bigger teams, a darker story, more brutal and unforgiving gameplay.

I recommend the PSOne port over the PSP version though, the PSP version is far too easy since they give your characters tons of lives and other outs.

Also I replaced Shadow Warrior with Realms of the Haunting. While Shadow Warrior is the most fun arcade shooter I ever played, Realms was a very engrossing and long Cthulhu-esque FPS with clever level design. Very underrated. I don't understand why no one else named it.

Thanks guys, because your lists are much more inclined than those of the pathetic gaming journos. I mean it's so sad, you see that they nearly all pick games that were made in the last ten years (except like Ocarina of Time and FFVII). They really don't know anything.

Ivan

Arcane
discounting RPGs. tried to nail representatives of different genres. you can prob tell p and c adv games aren't my favorite genre

Spelunky
Bayonetta 2
God Hand
Mario 3D World
Rayman Origins
Silent Hill 2
Thief 2
Mark of the Ninja
Talos Principle
STALKER CoP Misery 1.2

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Yes, it has bigger teams, a darker story, more brutal and unforgiving gameplay.

I recommend the PSOne port over the PSP version though,
Thanks, I have it, I just never got around to playing it. Really looking forward to it now :)

Thanks guys, because your lists are much more inclined than those of the pathetic gaming journos.
Yeah :(

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In the spirit of the OP, tried to make a list of my more obscure/underrated favourites.

No particular order:

Master of Magic - Still the best god damned 4x ever. Invincible highly enchanted halfling armies, heroes decked out in artifacts that cost more than everything else the entire nation has produced combined, spells that are actually worth a damn, fucking mirror world plane shifting. Game is amazing.

Naval Ops: Warship Gunner (Commander? 2? There were a few of these and they were all awesome.) - It's like armored core with giant warships, what's not to love? Custom building your own ships, building ones specifically to handle unique missions, revelling in the creation of a monster that has more firepower than an entire fleet of normal warships, mass destruction of helpless infrastructure. Only thing this game lacks is a pvp mode.

Iji
- Can't believe a single dude made a game this good. Incredibly well designed platformer with a ton of secrets, various viable playstyles, and actual alternate storylines and events for doing shit like sparing specific grunts or being entirely pacifist.

Nethack
- After all these years it's still my favourite roguelike. The only game that comes close to it's attention to detail is CDDA, but that loses out because it has no endgame. Killed by stumbling across a cockatrice corpse in the dark because you had no gloves on and identified the items by feeling them with your hands. Dev team thinks of everything.

Spelunky - Still the closest I've ever seen to a roguelike platformer. Fingers crossed for Vagante and Catacomb kids and a few others trying to work in the character building aspect, but Spelunky has the limited resource focused gameplay nailed down.

Labyrinth of Touhou 2
- This series actually managed to unseat SMT: Nocturne for having the best turn based blobber combat and party building. In fact, it's so damned good I'd say it's better than 'tactical' grid based games as well. So many options for how to fight, nothing feels tacked on and useless, nothing is definitively the 'best'.

SaGa Frontier
- One of my favourite jrpgs of all time. Even with it's unfinished parts, it's still an amazing game, with creative combat mechanics and an open world actually worth exploring multiple times from different viewpoints.

Factorio
- Jesus christ this game is so cool. Nothing else plays like this and it's so god damned satisfying iterating on this complex system you designed yourself so that you can become more wealthy and powerful not just by orders of magnitude, but by entire dimensions. Going from a struggle to make your first suit of body armour to automated production of entire self sufficient and defended mining facilities is insane.

Lufia 2 - Probably one of my favourite stories in a video game, period. Not terribly difficult (aside from the 99F roguelike optional dungeon) but very memorable and just fun to play. Puzzles and secrets are satisfying and break up the pacing in just the right ways. Some memorable characters and actually a really solid story in spite of a lot of cliches.

Epsilon

Cipher
  1. X-Com (1993)
  2. Fallout
  3. Jagged Alliance 2
  4. Cataclysm: DDA
  5. Master of Magic
  6. Arcanum
  7. Wizardry VII
  8. World of Xeen
  9. Ultima Underworld
  10. Deus Ex
If it's my personal top ten. I have to include the games that are actually in my personal top ten. Not other games that wouldn't be, because then it would not be my "personal top ten".
But supposing Fallout, Jagged alliance 2 and Arcanum did not exist. I would have Amberstar, Captive and Albion in the list.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Lufia 2 - Probably one of my favourite stories in a video game, period. Not terribly difficult (aside from the 99F roguelike optional dungeon) but very memorable and just fun to play. Puzzles and secrets are satisfying and break up the pacing in just the right ways. Some memorable characters and actually a really solid story in spite of a lot of cliches.
I've always thought that although Lufia 2 is approximately infinity times better than Lufia 1 from a gameplay standpoint, Lufia 1's story is stronger. And the cold open in Lufia 1 is basically unmatched among jRPGs (perhaps among games generally). Better score, too, I think.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress
Dark Souls
The Last Express
Doom
Left 4 Dead 2
Thief 2
Geneforge 5

Those are my core, remainder subject to change on a whim:

Descent: Freespace 2
Mass Effect 3 (not trolling)
Amnesia (also not trolling)

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Fallout
Ultima 5
Command & Conquer 3 - Kanes wrath
Quake 1
Hexen 1&2 & Heretic 1&2 (Thats like one thing, right?)
Arma 2
Dark Souls 2
Uukrul
Dungeon Master
Doom 1&2

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Thief
HoMM
System Shock
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Warcraft (specifically 3)
Total Annihilation
Deus Ex
Total War (Medieval 2 + Rome before others)
The Longest Journey
Freespace

Rpgsaurus Rex

HoMM3
Diablo 1
Wizardry 8
Gothic 2
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario World
Вангеры
BG 2
PS:T

:salute:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Conker's bad fur day
Brigandine
Warsong/Langrisser Series
Shining Force Series
Monkey Island 1-2
Full Throttle
Mount & Blade Warband
Jagged Alliance 2
Earthworm Jim
Earthbound/Mother series
Spyro the Dragon 1-3
Archeage(best MMORPG I've played by far so I thought it deserved to be mentioned)
Ragnarok Online(probably here because nostalgia)
Castlevania SOTN
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Zelda Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask
Hitman Silent Assassin, Blood Money and Contracts
Age of Mythology
Total War Medieval 2 and Rome
Thief: The Dark Project
Silent Hill
Battlefield 1942
Duke Nukem 3D
Half-Life
GTA San Andreas and Vice City

Purposely kept the real man's RPGs out of the list cos dis general gaming, although Conker is my top 1 game of all time and Brigandine is probably the one
I replayed the most.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
System Shock 2
My favourite cyberpunk game, yes i loved it even more than Deus Ex.
shock1.jpg
:bounce:

the perfect stealth game.
Hitman: Blood Money
Remember playing it with my friend every night in summer, we did every mission perfectly, Best stealth game post-2000
Hitman-Blood-Money-PC.jpg
Dark Souls 1
Loved the game, hated the community.
8396411132_6d5872abef_o.jpg
Warcraft 3
Last good bli$$ard game(never played any mmos, sorry wow fans) countless hours on mp and custom maps
Max Payne 2
There's not enough games with this great noir feel and atmosphere also: totally fucked up my mind when this happend
Gothic 1
As a potato, i can't skip this one :). In 2002/3 we had one pc in home and it runed gothic in like 10fps(i was playing it anyways), few years later i was able to complete the game. Btw Hostalie atmopshpre in the new camp reminds me of codex.
Vampire The Masquarde: Bloodlines
One of the best writing in video games and the best voice acting ever
Here's what iv'e been listening lately in those rainy days, the only right radio station http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com/
Deus Ex
Red Pill:The Game.
Mount & Blade: Warband
My biggest addiction tbh :dealwithit:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Pool of Radiance, and the 3 sequels, in particular PoD
2. Darklands
3. Monkey Island I & II, Day of Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Loom
4. Morrowind
5. Civilization I and IV
6. XCOM
7. Starcraft
8. Dwarf Fortress
9. Quake I
10. Daggerfall.

Deleted member 7219

TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM

This was the first good game I ever played, and still the best game I have ever played. Everything else I played was shit before... Amiga games at my friend's house, weird educational games I had for the Acorn, and maybe a bit of Sonic 2 on my brother's Mega Drive, but then my family decided to buy a PC, and because I was getting into Star Wars at the time, bought me a Star Wars game collection and this was included. It bundled in all the expansions, increased the resolution, and added voice overs to everything. I couldn't believe it - it was like being in my own Star Wars movie, but also being able to be the bad guy, and not even feel like a psychopath. The reasons were just so damn honorable. You're trying to bring peace and stability to the galaxy but those fucking Rebels keep getting in the way.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY

My first RPG, so I loved being able to choose the skills I wanted to focus on, and ignoring everything else, and the game would let me do it. I loved how there was something new around literally every corner. The landscape felt massive, although now there's been so many open world games since, when I load it up it feels refreshingly small and familiar. The music was atmospheric and fit the game to the bone. The main story wasn't amazing, but it stands as the best the series has had to date. Purists would say Daggerfall had better systems, but I think they were better executed here, and it had none of the horrible dumbing down that followed in Oblivion and Skyrim. Yes, it is possible to rise to become master of all trades, but I believe that is what Codexers call 'fun' and goes against the Sawyerist tendencies of some modern RPGs I could mention.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Other people have said it better than me here on the Codex, you just need to search for Jedi Knight and you can find so many articulate posts about why this is one of the best shooters of all time. The level design IS that good. Once you get a lightsaber things become a bit easier, although not always - AT-STs can fuck you up easily enough, and the saber battles can't just be swung through (unlike the sequels, where you can just break through saber locks if you click enough times). The story was original (unlike KOTOR), the FMVs were memorable, and the multiplayer scene was just amazing in its day. I think it was one of the most played games on the internet, and for me it got me into multiplayer gaming. The MSN Gaming Zone was the place to be, and I played this to death, whether exploring new maps like Caesar's Palace, or playing excellent mods like Saber Battle X and Ninja Kage.

The Witcher 3

CD Projekt Red said it would be possible to create an open-world RPG with a great story and they absolutely delivered on that promise. Great C&Cs, mature storytelling, memorable characters, great soundtrack, gorgeous worldbuilding, worthwhile expansions. The combat and the levelling systems are the weak points but not enough to drag the story and quests down, which The Witcher 3 does better than any other RPG I can think of.

Fallout New Vegas

It is quite amazing what Obsidian managed to pull off right under Bethesda's nose. Play New Vegas, then play Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, and you'll know what I mean. This is an Obsidian game through and through, reactivity, C&Cs, quirky characters (without being BioWhores), moral questions, and the best implementation of RPG systems I've seen on a first person shooter.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

Everyone correctly understands this is where Chris Avellone deconstructs the Star Wars setting but I don't think enough credit is given to just how fucking amazing the writing is (except for here on the Codex of course). Play KOTOR2, listen to Kreia, listen to the companions and the council, then go and play a BioWare game and you'll see the difference. It says a lot about the industry that the only people still writing RPGs this well is Obsidian. BioWare emphasise the cinematics and the action, and Bethesda don't even try. Obsidian put the heart and the brain into it and KOTOR2 is the finest example. MCA isn't the only one who gets credit for this. A team of immensely talented writers worked on this game and most (maybe all) of them have since left Obsidian, which is a great pity. If anybody asks me what my favourite Star Wars moment is, I'll tell them it is the scene at the Enclave where Kreia reveals all.... and it is even better with TSLRCM.

Half-Life 2 & Episodes

To me, Half-Life 2 demonstrated it was possible to make a first person shooter with likeable characters and a good story without there really being much dialogue. After all, Half-Life 2 is really about the shooting, and there's a lot of it. But there are also varied environments, lots of break up of the gameplay with some light puzzles, driving sections, and exploration, and the design was pretty damn cool - the main visual designer would later take his work to Dishonored.

Episodes expanded the story, made us care about characters like Alyx, and then ended on the most cruel of cliffhangers. Now it seems Valve are happy to make multiplayer games like Dota and Team Fortress 2 and don't give a shit about Half-Life 2 any more, but we are owed an Episode 3 and a fitting end to the story.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

This GTA had the best theme (80s neon beach paradise), the best soundtrack and really just the best reason for existing out of any of the GTAs. GTA 3 set the fundamentals but was really just a dour game about the Mafia with a voiceless protagonist who doesn't give a fuck about anything, so we don't give a fuck about him. The main character in Vice City is a psychopath but at least we hear him now, and he's pretty damn hilarious. And I know that if you're like me, every time you think of Vice City you're thinking the same thing as me - just driving down a road, with your favourite 80s song on the radio, watching the city go past. Vice City is a game where you have fun just driving to places.

The Last of Us

The best story I've seen told in a video game, the most likeable characters, with a believable relationship, and stunning visuals (especially in the PS4 edition). The setting is not that original if you've seen The Road, 28 Days Later, and other post-apoc films, but it hasn't been done this well in a game and none of it ever feels tacky. The zombies aren't fodder and there's very real consequences to the outbreak which you see all the time. It stays great right to the end. Some of my favourite moments are towards the end of the game when the other character gets to make their mark a little, and the gameplay becomes much more interesting as a result.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (incl. Freedom Cry)

This one is optional and subject to change, but I didn't want to put another RPG on the list.

It really is great to go rollicking around the seas on your own ship, finding treasure, blasting away other ships, raiding convoys, attacking forts and exploring tropical islands. I liked the main story too, I thought it had plenty of variety unlike some other entries in the series, and Freedom Cry was a great expansion because of the completely different protagonist and story tone. The AC series hasn't been this fun since... I thought Unity and Syndicate were incredibly dour. Rogue was good, though, which was basically AC 4.5. It is worth picking that up if you liked AC 4.

There's dozens more games that I love but those probably rank as the 10 I think are the best in each of their genres. Half-Life 2 and Assassin's Creed IV may stay or leave depending on whether I remember better, older games, or new games come up in the next few years that are better.

Last edited by a moderator:

janior

Arcane
Patron
System Shock 2
My favourite cyberpunk game, yes i loved it even more than Deus Ex.
shock1.jpg
:bounce:

the perfect stealth game.
Hitman: Blood Money
Remember playing it with my friend every night in summer, we did every mission perfectly, Best stealth game post-2000
Hitman-Blood-Money-PC.jpg
Dark Souls 1
Loved the game, hated the community.
8396411132_6d5872abef_o.jpg
Warcraft 3
Last good bli$$ard game(never played any mmos, sorry wow fans) countless hours on mp and custom maps
Max Payne 2
There's not enough games with this great noir feel and atmosphere also: totally fucked up my mind when this happend
Gothic 1
As a potato, i can't skip this one :). In 2002/3 we had one pc in home and it runed gothic in like 10fps(i was playing it anyways), few years later i was able to complete the game. Btw Hostalie atmopshpre in the new camp reminds me of codex.
Vampire The Masquarde: Bloodlines
One of the best writing in video games and the best voice acting ever
Here's what iv'e been listening lately in those rainy days, the only right radio station http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com/
Deus Ex
Red Pill:The Game.
Mount & Blade: Warband
My biggest addiction tbh :dealwithit:

Adding Metal Gear Rising Revenagence to the list

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom