Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Let's not forget about Drakensang, mkay?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Is it true it's not going to be released in English? If it's only in Germain it wouldn't go very well for me.

I think that's what making me not get interested is that I haven't heard of an attempt to have an English version, either that or my laziness in reading stuff missed it.

Looks alright. Admittedly the reason I'm keeping an eye on this every now and then is pure nostalgia. First, the ROA trilogy from Attic, and second, for a while back at school I was a bit into P&P ROA too. Even wrote a cheap-ass campaign which I hosted.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Saxon1974 said:
Is it true it's not going to be released in English? If it's only in Germain it wouldn't go very well for me.

I seriously doubt that. Would be kinda stupid considering that RoA is quite known amongst RPG players in other countries, too.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:

I think that's what making me not get interested is that I haven't heard of an attempt to have an English version, either that or my laziness in reading stuff missed it.

I thought the issue was they just hadn't found a publisher for North America yet. But newsbits posted on other sites say Anaconda has a good history of localization so those of us in English-speaking countries will likely not be disappointed. This is of course in terms of having an English version of the game. Hopefully it won't suck.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
thesheeep said:
Saxon1974 said:

I seriously doubt that. Would be kinda stupid considering that RoA is quite known amongst RPG players in other countries, too.

Heck, nobody ever releases a game nowadays and does not translate it to English. You know how much money they'd lose from not being able to sell the game to the majority of the world's population because it's only available in German?

The only people who don't translate their games to English nowadays are Russians.

Saxon1974

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
thesheeep said:
Saxon1974 said:

Heck, nobody ever releases a game nowadays and does not translate it to English. You know how much money they'd lose from not being able to sell the game to the majority of the world's population because it's only available in German?

The only people who don't translate their games to English nowadays are Russians.

Yea I agree, but I thought I read an article a while back saying they seemed to be ignoring an attempt at having an English version of the game but maybe it was related to not having found a north american publisher yet. I hope there is a decent English version as I am interested.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Saxon1974 said:
Yea I agree, but I thought I read an article a while back saying they seemed to be ignoring an attempt at having an English version of the game but maybe it was related to not having found a north american publisher yet. I hope there is a decent English version as I am interested.

I've been complaining loudly here and there of their lack of interest in English-language PR, maybe that threw you off?

Yes, they're having an English release. No publisher yet.

thesheeep said:

That's pretty irrelevant considering it won't be released as Realms of Arkania. Realms of Arkania was the name of the conversion of Das Schwarze Auge 2 and 3 into English. The pen and paper publisher who did those books went out of business, now someone else picked it up and published it as The Dark Eye (looks like the official URL was hijacked)

Since they assume no one here knows about the Dark Eye, the working title for the English release is Drakensang: The Dark Eye.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought that RoA was the official title of DSA in English.
Mainly because the literal translation of "Das Schwarze Auge" would sound so.. stupid... but they really called it "The Dark Eye"?... oh gee!...

Brother None said:
Since they assume no one here knows about the Dark Eye, the working title for the English release is Drakensang: The Dark Eye.

Why didn't they just call it Realms Of Arkania: Drakensang ?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
thesheeep said:
I always thought that RoA was the official title of DSA in English.
Mainly because the literal translation of "Das Schwarze Auge" would sound so.. stupid... but they really called it "The Dark Eye"?... oh gee!...
(...)
Why didn't they just call it Realms Of Arkania: Drakensang ?

Aventuria, the continent on which the game is set, was first introduced to the English-language market through a series of computer games and a few novels, later under the name Realms of Arkania. The trademark Realms of Arkania was owned by the now defunct Sir-tech Software, Inc., which led to the name change to The Dark Eye as Fantasy Productions was unable to obtain the trademark.

Partially a good thing, Realms of Arkania: Drakensang would have made it sound like it's related to the Northland Trilogy somehow. And really, it's not.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Brother None said:
Saxon1974 said:

I've been complaining loudly here and there of their lack of interest in English-language PR, maybe that threw you off?

Yes, they're having an English release. No publisher yet.

thesheeep said:

That's pretty irrelevant considering it won't be released as Realms of Arkania. Realms of Arkania was the name of the conversion of Das Schwarze Auge 2 and 3 into English. The pen and paper publisher who did those books went out of business, now someone else picked it up and published it as The Dark Eye (looks like the official URL was hijacked)

Good to hear they are going to make an English version. I will keep an eye on this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom