Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

lx07

Novice
The hours of talking is why I get bored in Cyseal now, coupled with the fact that the dialogues just aren't good. It's far too removed from danger way too early in the game, so the pacing is indeed wonky.
If you have walk in shadows you can skip Cyseal though and go straight to Silverglen or even Hunters Edge and Sacred Stone if you want. Bit too cheap that skill I think. You can't immediately get to Hiberhelm and so Phantom forest or at least I can't see how.

I agree with your point but there is no need to bore yourself going through all the Cyseal stuff if you don't want to.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That isn't a problem I, as a player, should be fixing by exploiting game mechanics. I know I don't have to talk to almost anyone in Cyseal even if playing normally, that doesn't fix the dialogues or intended pacing, not to mention me being underleveled if I skip it. The game has many more problems than pacing and terrible dialogues though and even if I manage to force myself through Cyseal, or skip it, they'll constantly be nibbling at my feet, the cons severely outnumber and overwhelm the pros. D:OS1 would be a great game if other, better, games didn't exist and I couldn't spend time with them instead, which ultimately damns it irrevocably. That doesn't mean D:OS isn't the best RPG to have come out of the Kickstarter campaigns then (PoE, Shadowrun, WL2 etc.), but that's a shallow comfort.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is on sale for €14 on the Europen PlayStation store for those that are interested.

It's very fun in local co-op and controls better than you would think.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I fucking love this game.

Might just top Fallout: New Vegas as a game I restart over and over again.

Atchodas

Augur
So recently i have got into replaying D:OS and my first serious attempt on Enhanced Edition , i gotta say " voice acting tm " was surprisingly satisfying , even the non stop chatter of market NPC's kinda feels like part of the world now . I even took Pet Pal on one of my characters so i can hear what various animals has to say :hearnoevil:

Anyway Cyseal part still takes way too long before you get into real action , and i ended up restarting in the middle of it because i miss Evelyn's quest and i did not get Aureus quests for some weird reason , well at least i sorted my Traits so they fit both characters and i never have to Rock paper shitzors between my characters

9/10 would restart again

Ensi

Educated
Lovin the game so far in co-op mode with my long distance gf. Baidotr seems op with all the damage and status affliction options, but I'm not complaining. We just got to Braccus Rex and had to stop, should be fun times when we start up again.

Murk

Arcane
So I hadn't played the enhanced edition, and have been diving p hard into it recently. Been playing (the other) Honor Mode and so far it's not diabolically difficult other than surprise lolgotrekt 1-shot traps, that have basically forced me to always leave 1 character a bit behind when going through uncharted areas.

Some traps are very obvious to spot, and so throwing a box or barrel usually handles it. Others are weird and hard to tell, and the fact they one-shot is horrifying, but eh -- it's what I signed up for. At least it makes trap spotting and disarming a legitimate investment, though I have avoided that for the most part. Resurrection scrolls are pretty cheap and plentiful.

So the big wall I've hit is Braccus Rex. I remember beating him pretty easily in the original, but I don't think I was playing on hard mode, and the risk of a save file wipe wasn't there.

So far I've prodded twice but cowardly ran away when things got dicey. I'm not sure if I can take them on as is and I just need to organize myself more (get some resistance up, use some well placed barrels, etc.) or if the fight is so unilaterally stacked against you that you have to basically level more somewhere else and use higher powered items to compensate.

Both chars are level 9, lone wolf; one is a man-at-arms 2hander with other skills focusing on craft/utility, the other is a dual-wielding caster with focus purely on hydro, geo, and witchcraft.

I am 99% sure I've cleared literally everything else in the starting Cyseal area, and so I can try to go to Silverglen to get better gear/more xp, or keep going up against Braccus. I think I'm going to keep trying, as I don't like winning fights because I sequence-break them when I'm first playing a game (that's fine later in replays, but for now I don't want a soft-cheat.)

Anyway, what strats did you bros use against Braccus on honor/tactician mode?

Side comments on views so far:

I don't ever remember melee and archer characters (enemies) being so dangerous, but in tactician/honor mode, they're definitely the priority. Charm, knock-down, stun, freeze, etc are so horrifyingly debilitating, more so when only using 2 chars and summons. Maybe with followers it'd be easier, but I was specifically hoping to avoid that.

vmar

Savant
The easiest way to kill Rex is to kite him back to the door and keep summons up at all times, his minions will basically just come 1 by 1 through the door since they can't all fit at the same time, and Rex will stand a little further back not doing anything. Use CC when you can and make sure to block the door with your summons.

Murk

Arcane
Welp, apparently I was overestimating it greatly based on the initial 'meteor swarm' problem. I left one char behind near Thelyron's corpse and used a pyramid to warp my other char back. The lieutenant enemies died way more easily than I expected, Braccus himself got messed up pretty easily from oath of desecration + double ice wands.

Ensi

Educated
I'm playing on normal mode cuz gf co-op and Rex was surprisingly really easy, lieutenants had almost no hp and I just stunned the fuck out of everything. Stunning is ridiculous, I love it. Best thing is "accidentally" stunning her melee character pretty much every battle cuz he's right next to the enemies.

I've started playing Gothic 2 recently, and it really struck me how similar are Khorinis and Cyseal...

Just wanted to put it out here.

They are both generic RPG game port towns, I guess ;) Still, when I put together market square, beaches, nearby lighthouse and roaming orcs, I immediately think of Cyseal.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And Khorinis has lovely music:

Another huge plus in favor of Khorinis.
"Hear ye! Inhabitants of Khorinis... and Innos threw Beliar into the Sea..... by the explicit order of the honorable Lord Hagen.... but Beliar said... That's all just gossip."

Aenra

I've started playing Gothic 2 recently, and it really struck me how similar are Khorinis and Cyseal...

Can i just "put out there" how fucking dumb a statement this is..?

Khorinis:

- night n day, quests opening up depending on the time. Systems allowing for different actions depending on the time (stealing? Sneaking in? How about the "nighttime only" quests?)
- actors having proper schedules, both the game mechanics and the overall story complimenting them; aka not just for show
- not a hub to clear and never go back, aka content locusting, the bane of all things modern, but a -place-. Central. You came back to it over and over, in all chapters prior to the last one. You formed an attachment to it. I can hum you the fucking harbour music right now. And i bet you my balls i'm not the only one. That says a --lot--. And i don't mean about my balls, lol
- depending on quest outcome or progress/chapter, the actors (and since you came back frequently you could not miss this) disappeared, treated you differently, had new things to tell you.
- portions of it inaccessible until later (suspense/curiosity), portions of it entirely inaccessible unless you were in a specific faction. And old school way too, no one warned you of this when you were making your choice
- UNSCALED. Had NPCs that could give you a hard time even when you were ready to board a certain ship to somewhere

Cyseal? Nothing of the above / the exact opposite.

All that remains to be asked? Are you retarded?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sorry, but the level of detail and complexity really can't be compared. Gothic 2 is miles ahead. I guess if all you really look at is 'a port town with some orcs nearby' then yeah they are superficially similar.
Both games were attempting to be Ultima-esque games, Gothic just did it a lot better.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That Braccus Rex fight.

Dialog ends.
Fight start.
Weird meteor shower that nobody should be able to cast at that level.
3/4 characters die.

GF and I had a good laugh.

Next try.
Split up group.
Dialog ends, fight starts.
One character dies. Since no resurrects are available (we used them up freely instead of reloading when something happens, seriously, reloading is the killer of co-op fun)...
Reload.

Try this 6-8 times until the the dialog initiator by some miracle survives the meteor shower (fire resistance potion barely has any effect, who cares about 15% damage reduction? Pointless.)
Lose the fight anyway because somehow all 4 bosses collected at one space ignore three ice grenades in a row as well as all blinding, tripping, etc. FFS!!!!.

Decision between cheesing the hell out of that fight (as every single guide suggests) or just giving up and play something fun instead ends with riding on pink dinosaurs.
You can't beat pink dinosaurs.

Seriously, that is just horrible design for co-op.
When I played alone, I had no problem cheesing that fight, but that is just not something that is fun to do in co-op (at least GF and me have no fun doing that).
I honestly hope D:OS 2 will not have those "lol! u die" fights.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I stopped playing a while ago, at Hunter's Edge (L16). While I like the combat and the game has many things right, I struggle to feel motivated to play. Combat should not be slowed down so much by animations that you already watched a million times; fighting a few goblins which you know will pose no threat still involves at least 20min. Inventory management is a bloated hell. And the hidden linearity is another con. I guess the game is good enough to deserve being finished, so I'll do it as soon as work allows... After all I completed turds like Oblivion and Dragon Age and this game is a thousand times better. But It kinda feels like a chore at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom