Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: great game after bad first impression

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would not recommend playing with FIXT yet. There are so many broken things in it currently. Even stuff that was already fixed previously.

The 1.2 and 1.3.5 patch by TeamX is all you need (and it fixes a TON of broken stuff).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I only used guides to figure out that i need to buy ropes from some NPC in order to get to the top floor of Vault 15.

Ropes are always handy in Adventure games and RPGs. Even Sam "can I be your dog, Mr. Frodo, sir?" Gamgee knew that ropes are always handy.
Wasn't there a rope on the ground in SS?

There's one on the ground in the tool shed (easy to miss), one in a book case, and Seth has one to barter. And there's a fourth on second level of Vault 15.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, the combat in the old Fallout was miles ahead of the combat in modern Fallouts at least. Or in Wasteland 2 and many other modern titles.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura. (PC). The most fun you'll ever have not having fun.

Fallout 2 is the runner-up, and Fallout takes the third spot.
I may agree about Arcanum: its combat is beyond saving.

Fallout 1 & 2 though: no, just no. I've had TONS of fun in these games... also in combat. It's so meaty and visceral. Critical animations and sounds just rock! And I still don't understand why so few games actually implement a table of critical hit effects. It was the best thing since sliced bread. I LOVE combat in Fallout 1 & 2.
Just get some nice weapon and raise your combat skills.
Until the day I die I will remember my Melee run with Jinxed and Bloody Mess. Weapons and ammo blowing up around me, weapons being dropped, people hitting themselves or each other, hilarious threats then followed by ammo being dropped from weapons and the rest. Add to that fun and bloody death animation and it is best combat ever. It may not be very tactical but between barks and animations it is most pleasurable to watch.

jaydee2k

Savant
Rats? You complaining about rats, son? Stop being a bitchy pussycat octavius and go play fallout 2 like a real man. You start the game naked with only a spear, locked in a dungeon. You then have to fight shit tons of radscorpions who can rape you in 3 shots. If they don't, then have fun with the poison you drunk Indian bitch. 1 strike, run. 1 strike run. Kite those fags and get your legs blown off by landmines that blend in with the ground.

When your done with that shit, and escape 2 hours later- you then get to spend an hour kitting geckos in fields of acid.

Yes, Fallout 2's start is even shittier. Shitty enough, actually, that it's not even worth playing.

Oh my :argh: Just registered here to tell you that this was the biggest shitpost I EVER stumbled over in the whole cyberspace. :deathclaw:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems like I entered Junktown at the wrong time of day.
All the fun bar action happened after I had taken care of Gizmo and rested some hours at the hotel, so much of the dialogue in the bar makes little sense.
After I'd taken care of Shark and the other punkz, I recruited Tycho. I went into the hotel, heading for little Sherry. She seemed like a good enough girl who could be saved from the Skulz gang, so I brough along some Beer to loosen her panties bribe her, but as I approached the whole gang attacked, and for some reason Tycho shot me in the back. I thought at first he had missed a gang member, but no, he was really aiming at the nicest guy of the Wastelands. Ian never joined the fray for some reason, but Dogmeat took care of most of the Skulz singlejawedly while I had trouble enough killing Tycho. But reading some Wiki I see Tycho is a good guy, and not a traitor, so I've no idea why he shot me in the back.
Nothing happens as it's supposed to in this game...
You should drink less when playing Fallout, things will not turn out different than you "think" :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The early Fallout games had some of the worst combat possible."

Bullshitz.

"Or in Wasteland 2"

Bullshitz.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"The early Fallout games had some of the worst combat possible."

Bullshitz.

"Or in Wasteland 2"

Bullshitz.

When it's so super-slow that makes you flee from a pack of rats and all the tactical aspects of the combat can be summarize in "just aim eyes lol", yes, it's a terrible combat system.
It's all tightly integrated into the character creation/development systems though. Without high Perception you can't aim for the eyes... not at range and when its dark anyway.
Without Agility you will not have the APs to cover the costs of aimed shots. Without high weapon skills you will miss.
Without Luck and Traits and Perks like Finesse, Better Criticals, Sniper the effect of aiming for the eyes will not be as pronounced...
Though to be fair I guess the Blade Runner gun will still rock.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I restarted Fallout using the TeamX patches instead of the buggy Fixt mod, and instead of a munchkin character I went for the original one based on myself (low Charisma and Luck, high Perception, 35 (which is max) year old Male, Night Person and Small Frame, and skills in Small Arms and Science).
With more knowlege of how the game works, and fewer bugs, it has been a more enjoyable experience this time.

Just completed Junktown, and the only minor bug so far is that when I kill the Skulz it turns Sherry hostile, and killing her turns the lawmen hostile.
But after an extra day's rest, and using skill points on Speech, I managed to turn her even with a lowly 3 Charisma.
I also traded for Tandi's life instead of killing the raiders.

Last edited:

mushaden

Scholar
I couldn't hurt the last boss in fallout 2 with crits in my second playthrough, and I couldn't not get crits so he was impossible. Is this something that's been fixed in community patches? I don't really have much desire to play it again but I never got the car...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What gun/weapon were you using that couldn't hurt Whorigan?

Endemic

Arcane
I tried to do an "Evil" playthrough and killed Killian for Gizmo. Then saw that decision results in the best ending for Junkyard :lol:

It did in the stock game until Interplay decided otherwise late in development. I guess someone restored it?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It is totally impossible to avoid combat in Fallout!
Is it really? (Are you so sure?)
proof_1.gif

[This is my recent Level 1 PC; who later left the base without incident.]

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
It is impossible, one of Codex scholars proved it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom