Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Please translate SRW games MrRichard999 My inner weebs need to see more giant robots fighting :(

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of SRW translations, I wonder what happened to AGTP's Alpha one. They haven't updated the site in over a year and haven't given any sort of progress report on the game in four years. I remember people working on the project posting on /m/, so has anyone heard anything about it recently?

LJ40

Cipher
Gideon Zhi seems to still be pretty active on Romhacking.net, but Aeon Genesis seems to be semi-dead (as you said). I imagine progress stalled on whatever was active and he just hasn't gotten around to updating, but that's pure speculation on my part.

MrRichard999, Helly, sorry to bother you, but I figured if anyone you guys might know what's happening over at AGTP these days.

ETA - Wanted to add, I'm just a random jackass that likes to play games, otherwise I'd ask Gideon myself on Romhacking.net. Alas, I am not worthy.

getter77

Augur
AGTP is fine in general---things just take time and happen out of the spotlight in no particular order often enough. For instance, Laplace looks to be finally nearly there In Style after all these years.

getter77

Augur
That's the point---unless loud noises are made to the contrary, even a "forgotten" project like Laplace has managed to get some action again likely nearing* a release as things just happen as they do same as with other groups. The reason it seems worse for AGTP is probably owing to their tending to have the largest stable of projects waiting in the wings at various stages compared to most surviving contemporary groups---sure, it'd be great if updates were more forthcoming, but the dude and folks are busy with life in general AND their actual myriad projects in the shadows....so that tends to fall by the wayside.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Post-apoc RPG for NES? How the hell have I never heard of this?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2783/

Pretty cool even though the combat looks like shit.
Yeah, the combat definitely drags and feels archaic in the worst way. Translation is also very poor and wonky. Spell names are just utterly random.
Heh, I didn't know this had a famicom port. It had some glorious graphics in PC-88:

amdus

Arbiter
Post-apoc RPG for NES? How the hell have I never heard of this?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2783/

Pretty cool even though the combat looks like shit.
Yeah, the combat definitely drags and feels archaic in the worst way. Translation is also very poor and wonky. Spell names are just utterly random.
Heh, I didn't know this had a famicom port. It had some glorious graphics in PC-88:

It also had a MSX, PC Engine, SHARP X68000 and FM Towns ports.

PC Engine opening:

SHARP X68000 opening:

MSX opening/gameplay:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I sometimes post some unrelated shit in one of my threads. Other people can, so why can't I? :oops:
Fair enough! I should play Ogre Battle one of these days anyway, but I got frustrated because I wanted to find all the cool secret shit. I think there's a VN-like 'true ending' as well?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you're talking about MotBQ, there's not really a 'true ending' so to speak, but there are easier and more difficult to get endings, which a lot of the secret stuff plays into. There's also a bonus side mission sort of thing. If you try the game and it doesn't grab you, I recommend trying the bonus mission before giving up on it; it'll spoiler what a lot of the late game units can do and give you a taste of the mid to late game combat, which is a bit faster paced and higher stakes.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nobody cares but I abandoned Last Armageddon (at least for a while). This game is too hard for me.
9Z4sYc0.png

I haven't got the beginning of an idea of what the slates are about, maybe I missed a particularly important one, I can't enter the tower (no idea what the proof they want is, but it's very likely that the alien which spoke in the base told me and I didn't notice) and didn't manage to do anything in points of interest (my 8 first demons can't read the 2 books in the two dungeons upper from the start, didn't try with the 4 remaining ones because I never got them back, but maybe the titles alone are clue and you're not meant to read inside the book although how it's presented seems to indicate you can read them, I've got no idea what the cd-rom is about). No idea if I triggered something after beating the giant in the alien base or if it's just a useless cinematic. I found the Ahora sword, and judging by the monsters which are stronger there the desert and the grey lake are probably area of interest, this tree in the grey lake seems particularly intriguing, but I've got no idea what they are about.
The game is not particularly interesting but the atmosphere is cool, you're playing demons fighting aliens, you're constantly switching between two parties (not at will, one for the day, one for the night) which is cool too and the demons evolve which is more cool visually than gameplay-wise.

Exploring the world map is OK, you often suddenly get to face hard monsters and realize you shouldn't have adventured there this early. That said the main point of adventuring seems to be to read slates, and I haven't managed to figure out anything by reading the slates.
The two dungeons I've explored are almost empty, with nothing except random encounters, but they are not that big.
Maybe the game actually has some very nice large scale puzzles and I'm just too bad. You're thrown in a world with the goal of figuring out things (and killing aliens) and that is actually very pleasant at first.

The game uses a "learn-by-doing" system which is not great but somewhat more interesting than usual at least on paper : you'll quickly earn skills which can kill the entire opposite team, but if you use it you basically get no XP, and if you attack or use magic instead you earn much more XP. What is actually interesting is that sometimes you're facing monsters which make a lot of damage so you must choose to kill them easily or try and kill them more fairly to gain XP with the risk of being killed.
There's a shop/crafting menu where you make weapons, armors and consumables, not every demon can use weapons nor armors.
In practice I made some armors, weapons, HP/MP restoring items, and I resolved every combat by having everyone attacking or using some random skill which kills everythings, the combat/stuff system is pretty poor, even compared to the combat systems of other NES jrpgs that I personally like but completely understand that a lot of people think they're too simple.

Now my demons are all super strong with the time I've spent on trying to figure out things but I'm just stuck. Maybe things will get clear after a break but I doubt it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that little half-bracket at the beginnig and end of japanese dialog takes up two english letters' worth.

there is no particular point to why i'm postnig this i'm just mildly druk.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What about this mecha dungeon crawler?
Out Live is a 1st person dungeon crawler in which the player controls an FW - Fighting Walker, the mech of this game. You start your journey on planet Lafura (you’re investigating your friend’s disappearance) with 1000 credits, 1000 life units and a vulcan gun. You can as well talk to people at the bar to learn some info. Once you’re ready, it’s time to go out and do some fighting. You travel along 3D tunnels with a smooth animation and will rapidly encounter enemies.The game stops at that point and switches to a turn-based battle. Win, and you will get money and experience. A password mode lets you save your game. Good luck, and have fun!
I'm not sure yet that it is as good as Shadow Brain (the dungeons seem emptier) but I've roammed between the first cities and defeated a few bosses and so far it's fun. The resource (bombs and healing items) management part is nice. There are different weapons but I haven't bought any new one yet.
Some screenshots :
enTQBDD.png

gAezLdf.png

cYciy6H.png

AOOAH32.png

4DKX8MC.png

sRyretT.png

JuceLdJ.png

8HmGWgi.png

qGmTZ1H.png

VSX0itw.png

ShABS5D.png

KzAe8VZ.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Since I'm playing Out live, which shares similarities with Shadow Brain but, if vaguely interesting, seems worse in every aspect (maybe I'll give details later), I'd better explain why I liked Shadow Brain instead of speaking about this one. If you like dungeon crawlers you can really at least give Shadow Brain a try.
I requote screenshots so that there's no ambiguity that I'm talking about this one. I never know if I should open a new thread for that kind of things, but anyway...
It's a cyberpunk turn-based dungeon crawler, single character. The story is some classic cyberpunk story, I don't remember it well but I remember it's OK.

The game is divided into 16 16x16 areas. One big strength of the game is these areas : they're not abstract, there's "Medical town" which contains a lot of pharmacies, "Playland" with cinemas and games, I think there's a power plant area, etc.... The areas are varied and you'll meet many characters ; the dungeon never feels lifeless. There are shops and hotels, to sleep and save, and you'll quickly gain access to the network with additionnal shop and NPCs to talk with. The game is relatively linear, you can't unlock every area from the start without following the story checkpoints but I never felt like it was too railroaded (and not only because it's a dungeon crawler and we don't really care). The "adventure" part is pleasant, with some backtracking ; overall I liked the pacing of the game. It's probably worth noticing that there are a few mandatory minigames. EDIT : I forgot to mention that you have to find the maps of the area in-game, that's cool enough to be mentioned.

The fights are turn-based, 1vs1, and they are mostly cool because you have enough various options and the enemies are varied enough too. Even if the game isn't particularly hard, you will probably get surprised and die a few times. Some boss battles are very fun.
Enemies randomly appear on the map, they don't move and you have to engage a combat by yourself, so in theory you can limit yourself to attack only enemies blocking your way.
There are 3 categories of weapons, sometimes stronger of weaker depending on the enemies. For each categrory there are different weapons to buy and to find including unique ones, generally with different power depending on the energy cost ; some weapons have special abilities instead of dealing damage. There's a limit but you can wear different weapons of each category (maybe 3 of each or 10 in all, something like that).
Additionnally you have got classic consumables (grenades, healing items) and you'll get some additionnal capacities which will be upgraded during the game, like an healing and a barrier abilities or some various combat or non-combat abilities.
I won't comment precisely about stats because I don't remember how they work, you've got hit points, energy which raise at each level, and probably damage too, I know you can miss but I don't even remember if accuracy depends on the weapon you use, same with speed, you and your opponent choose an action and then they are resolved in a given order but I don't remember if your speed depends on anything (you and your opponents can gain additional turns).
By the end of the game you really have various options, and you'll probably have to search for all the last unique items and upgrades to be able to fight the last bosses and especially the very last one which is not easy to beat.

Concerning the technical aspects, I think the game looks very cool, and the musics are good too. It's been a little while but I'm pretty sure the translation is nice to read (I can't comment about accuracy).

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody interested ace combat 3 has been fully translated:
http://useatoday.blogspot.hr/2016/12/ac3-e-ie-discs-22-h-e-v-e-n-n-d-e-r-t-h.html
Yes the game already had a english release,but mission and story content were cut form that release compared to the japanese version.
If you have ecm versions of iso's you need to convert them to bin with uncecm tools in order for the patches to work.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom