Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Vibalist

Arcane
Yeah, I've also managed to run everything from Witcher 3 to Hitman to freaking Arkham Knight on a 660GTX, but I'm thinking of skipping this one if things are as bad as they say.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm running it on low to medium settings on my oldish 1080p laptop (while waiting for my new desktop rig to arrive next week), running perfectly stable and smooth.

What dedicated graphic card do you have in your laptop?

GTX 960M 4GB. Running on the medium preset now (with bloom etc disabled) without problem (in Karnaca too).

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Incredible really. They obvs spent 95% of their time optimising the code for console peasants to get 30 fps. PC users an afterthought as usual.

harveyx9sp0.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
Incredible really. They obvs spent 95% of their time optimising the code for console peasants to get 30 fps. PC users an afterthought as usual.
Some people report about major fps dips on consoles as well, not to say about downgraded visuals aka "optimization".

mZgBivx.gif

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Anti-aliasing (TXAA) is horrible. Things far away looks blurry and smeary... It's actually preferable to use FXAA...

Use TXAA
Install Reshade
Set "Adaptative Sharpening" to 1.30

That Reshade injector is brilliant. Finally got ridden of the ugly shader aliasing while maintaining an overall crisp image.

Protip: Disable "Clarity" to prevent FPS hit (I measured a ~4-5 fps loss). The other options didn't impose a performance impact.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://www.avclub.com/article/dishonored-2-director-harvey-smith-how-make-video--245652
And I feel like, and this could be misconstrued, but I feel like what’s going on is that there were games back in the day like the Ultima games or Dungeon Master or the Looking Glass games—Thief and things like that—that were probably a little too rich or densely interactive for many players, and the audience has caught up over time. That’s my opinion. There’s a hunger among players for more interactivity, for more of what you said earlier, that “living, breathing world”—not just “living, breathing” and I watch it, but I do something and it responds. That’s the key element, right? The agency. That’s what I feel like has happened.

But the stealth mechanics in Dishonored have always been shit and he does have a point about the visibility indicator - why couldn't they implement something like Thief's gem?

One of the reasons why that game was so great was the granularity of the visibility scale and how realistically enemies reacted to it. In Dishonored, it's binary and shit.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
But the stealth mechanics in Dishonored have always been shit and he does have a point about the visibility indicator - why couldn't they implement something like Thief's gem?

It works in Thief because stealth is designed around "magical shadows". Wouldn't make sense in Dishonored as it varies with enemies distance.
And again this is if you consider Dishonored a stealth game at all.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
So is the actual game good besides the performance? Is it worth buying on sale in a year or two after patches?

I'm at the end of mission 8. There is only one mission left so I think I can safely judge the game.
It's very good in my opinion. Of course they didn't change the overall formula but they fixed the main game problems and made better what was already good.

PROS
- The level design is simply incredible. It's way bigger than in the first with more routes, more verticality and variety. It even goes as far as revolutionizing it sometimes (I'm thinking mission 4 and 7).
- The world overall feels more alive with more things to do. More NPC, neutral zones, dialogues, factions, etc. The dialogues for the NPC are especially well-written.
- The game is more challenging. It's mainly due to the fact the AI is better and how Karnaca is designed. Guards look up and many are stationed at higher points than you so you have to watch for them all the time. Maybe also the fact I'm playing Emily and her not being as OP as Corvo.
- I feel like choices have more consequences than in the first one even if I haven't seen the endings yet but the ones in mission 7 for exemple are major.

CONS
- The story is still very mediocre to me. The main dialogues are very flat and Emily talks way too fucking much. On the other hand, secondary dialogues are very good as well as lines from the heart.
- On hard/very hard the AI can be frustrating sometimes and you might not have enough feedback to avoid detection.
- You can't replay missions and that's retarded.

Last edited:

It works in Thief because stealth is designed around "magical shadows". Wouldn't make sense in Dishonored as it varies with enemies distance.
And again this is if you consider Dishonored a stealth game at all.
I don't see how Dishonored being considered a stealth game or not (I don't consider it to be one, btw) has any bearing on whether it could have a visibility indicator. Even if the shadows are not pre-baked in the level (that is what you mean, right?), I am sure you can still derive a reasonable 0-100 value (a compound value that takes enemy distance into account as well) and translate that value into an easily-readable UI element.

Ivan

Arcane
Deman What are your thoughts on how a non-powers run would be like, given you know how the AI works and the general layout of levels: tedious, fun?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game feels too much like the original Dishonored. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but I was hoping for something new.

Divinity: Original Sin
Deman What are your thoughts on how a non-powers run would be like, given you know how the AI works and the general layout of levels: tedious, fun?

I'm playing no powers stealth. I could reach every place and get all collectibles, and most o coins of mission 1 and 2 so far. But mission 2 took about 4 hours. But mostly because I look everywhere I can, and of course, some save reload in between...

Siel

Arcane
Patron

I feel like you would miss a lot of the verticality without blink/far reach. I haven't tried it yet but I'd recommend going with powers for the first run.
But then maybe I'm wrong and apparently Darth Slaughter can still access everything without magic.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually played mission 2 without Far Reach because I sort of forgot about it in the middle of all the stealthing, but I did start using it in mission 3. I wonder if you can reach the topmost rooftop of the Institute (and the bonecharm there) without blink/far reach.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance and have had no trouble running everything on Ultra at 1080p on an old I7 with 1060 GTX 6GB and 16GB Ram. Of course, I'm not the kind of person who is religiously checking my FPS and goes ballistic if there is a change from 70FPS to 50FPS...the game seems smooth enough to me.

I'm glad I upgraded my graphics card recently though as I think my old GTX680 would have struggled with this title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom