Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Kind of worried about the combat comments in this thread. Hope I didn't waste my money. Will probably get a chance to play this next week

Well I hate to be the one who brings bad news, but I have to tell you. The game was made by Obisidian.

Starwars

Arcane
Really hate to be one of those guys but turning down the difficulty made the game a lot more enjoyable in Act II. Not because I found PotD particularly difficult, it just made combat situations take fucking forever to get through.

Question for people who are past Act I - do combat encounters become more difficult? I'm playing on Hard, and was really enjoying it so far, more than Pillars. I think it might be because I've resigned to using the classic formula of tank/dps/support. In Pillars I tried something else and it became a slog in the middle of Act II.

I like the game so far, but mostly for the systems: the progress in skills, the skill checks in the environment, the combat and especially the magic system. I wish the magic system was more extensive though. I would have rolled a more wizardy main char if I knew I would enjoy it so much.

The only thing I don't like is the setting and the story so far. We were promised a story of a conquest in a roughly Bronze age world, but what we got is a saturday morning cartoon with all the plot intricacies of Transformers or Power Rangers. The only twist is that you're working for Decepticons. Hope it improves past Act I. To be honest, though, even if it doesn't, not a big deal for me, because of the solid systems.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game gives the concept of "evil" very good spins; while there is your cruel and crazy evil options, your honorably "ends justify the means" options and your "I just do what I am told" I simply find the freedom perfectly refreshing and lets you setup your character's moves perfectly in the same vein. I played along with both starting factions bidding my time and seeing what was going on and the payoff was so satisfying...without going into spoilers
I have a huge backlog of great games but given that this is supposed to last maybe 20 25 hours per playthrough I am seriously considering replaying this straight away to try a different build and different options for the factions and developments
Frankly I liked Pillars but felt a bit too chorey and frankly unwilling to take risks on its setting and presentation but this is such a welcome suprise
Oh and anybody worried about the combat it takes the best elements of Pillars and adds better animations and flow, even the AI seems to be better

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, gave this another go. I'm right after where you conquer that fortress. I almost gave up right at the end of conquering it. This whole section of conquering the fortress take way too long, I undertand that they needed to sort of setup what would happen later but this whole section just took forever and focused alot on the weakest aspect of Tyranny, the combat. I was really annoyed, almost giving up, yes, the combat system is just a dumb down version of PoE and there is lots and lots of it at the beginning.

However, I was expecting the usual developer lies and lazy fake choices of Bioware, I totally expected this from this game, the usual token choices and to give Tranny credit, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know the extent of how you can manipulate things or if Obsidian will try shoehorn you at the end but the choices you make at the conquest mode aren't entirely fluff and I already see some opportunity for backstabbing, quite radical options for backstabbing too. You have the whole map of the Tiers open for you after you conquer that damn fortress and you can visit some places you made choices at the conquest mode, I expected the "We will let you make all those choices but you won't be able to travel there." trick but while I see alot of fluff NPC mentions for my actions, there are some choices there that have a bigger impact and I'm curious about what would change if I made different choices.

Another interesting thing is that while Barik and Verse are complete bores, Lantry and Eb are more tolerable so I could get rid of them. Problem is that if I restart, I have to restart the whole let's conquer the fortress bit with all those endless trash mobs, make no mistake, Obsidian still is completely cueless about how to make good combat on their games. The Ai is somewhat decent at trying to charge and focus fire at your weakest character but the abilities they have are awful. Most abilities the Ai use against you are spammable "we will hit you harder boy", there is no big difference between the enemies forcing you to make tactical choices, there are only two kinds of enemies on this game, meele fighters and ranged fighters.

What is the differnce between an enemy archer and a mage? The archers just stand there firing javelins while enemy mages fire light javelins at you with the occasional shitty spells that won't scare nobody, on one fight Barik was hit by a fireball that did a whooping 14 of damage on the last difficulty mode, enemy mages are just another version of enemy archera that throw light balls at you, that is it. This weakness and lack of difference between the enemies is actually crucial or the game would be unplayable as the CC spells are pretty useless and you have very limited ways on how to control a fight, this with the cooldown system turn fights into static competions of DPS. Who makes the biggest DPS wins and as you can use your mages well on contrary to the AI with the lack of frindly fire means you can bombard enemies with impunity but this sort of become a formulaic way to win fights. On a sense, the combat on Tyranny reminds me alot more of an MMO than a proper RPG what isn't surprising as it was alot of ex MMO people who made this game.

Game is good so far for choices but combat is just completely atactical brainless stuff more akin to a AAA popamole RPG than a traditional RPG.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Yes I agree the choices and consequences are great. I do feel the Disfavoured and the Chorus a bit weak in terms of lore, but everyone is surprisingly evil and not immune to criticism.

deama

Prophet
However, I was expecting the usual developer lies and lazy fake choices of Bioware, I totally expected this from this game, the usual token choices and to give Tranny credit, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know the extent of how you can manipulate things or if Obsidian will try shoehorn you at the end but the choices you make at the conquest mode aren't entirely fluff and I already see some opportunity for backstabbing, quite radical options for backstabbing too. You have the whole map of the Tiers open for you after you conquer that damn fortress and you can visit some places you made choices at the conquest mode, I expected the "We will let you make all those choices but you won't be able to travel there." trick but while I see alot of fluff NPC mentions for my actions, there are some choices there that have a bigger impact and I'm curious about what would change if I made different choices.
You can travel to all the places from conquest mode, they open up as the story goes along.

I ended up finishing the game, the ending was kinda disappointing, I was hoping to:
to have an option of just continueing to obey my overlord after destroying the archons, and then just go back home and rest for a couple of weeks.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Really hate to be one of those guys but turning down the difficulty made the game a lot more enjoyable in Act II. Not because I found PotD particularly difficult, it just made combat situations take fucking forever to get through.

Why would you be "one of those guys" when PotD is a "bonus" game mode that was never how the game was meant to be played at first anyway? (I'm assuming it's like the PoE version)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only thing I don't like is the setting and the story so far. We were promised a story of a conquest in a roughly Bronze age world, but what we got is a saturday morning cartoon with all the plot intricacies of Transformers or Power Rangers. The only twist is that you're working for Decepticons. Hope it improves past Act I. To be honest, though, even if it doesn't, not a big deal for me, because of the solid systems.

That last sentence is the reason we keep getting games like Divinity:OS - great mechanically, with fantastically retarded writing.

Imagine you - a grown man - would go to see Toy Story by yourself and then say "sure it's a flick for little kiddies but I still enjoyed it for the great animation and voiceovers". That's what you're doing now.

Maybe If the 20+ year old gamers were pushing the devs to not always go fot the lowest common denominator writing-wise we could one day start seeing more plots tailored for more mature audiences than just the 8-year old bracket.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You can travel to all the places from conquest mode, they open up as the story goes along.

I ended up finishing the game, the ending was kinda disappointing, I was hoping to:
to have an option of just continueing to obey my overlord after destroying the archons, and then just go back home and rest for a couple of weeks.

To me it makes sense that the ending is what it is, but I can't help but to feel that it feels a bit too anticlimatic. And it's strange how lazy they were with the ending slides, a few recycled screens and text, at least they could've bothered to do it like in Pillars.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
The "obsidian has good writing" meme needs to die. It's either Avellone of Ziets who made that happen. And if they are not the lead I don't see it happen Obsidian or no.

deama

Prophet

To me it makes sense that the ending is what it is, but I can't help but to feel that it feels a bit too anticlimatic. And it's strange how lazy they were with the ending slides, a few recycled screens and text, at least they could've bothered to do it like in Pillars.
Yeah, it kinda felt like the right way I guess; but considering the rest of the game, how reactive it was and with a decent amount of choices, it was ultimately not my, or my character's ending.

Bored Games

Literate
So, ah…Hard or PoTD?

Are enemies just damage sponges on PoTD or is there some genuine challenge here?

Imagine you - a grown man - would go to see Toy Story by yourself and then say "sure it's a flick for little kiddies but I still enjoyed it for the great animation and voiceovers". That's what you're doing now.

Not quite. It feels strange to have to say this on codex, but the setting and the plot is not the only thing that can be enjoyed in an RPG game.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Not quite. It feels strange to have to say this on codex, but the setting and the plot is not the only thing that can be enjoyed in an RPG game.

I thought saying "combat is not the only thing to be enjoyed in Role Playing Game game" will be strange here.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's like saying you don't mind a piece of dogshit in your sandwich as long as the bun is fresh and the tomato tasty. Fair enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom