Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
No, dudes, sorry, BG2 is a bigger (as in - more quests, content and things to do) game than PoE, even with TWM and Tyranny included.

Just compare all the stuff you can do in Athkatla to the meager content in Defiance Bay.
Defiance Bay isn't the capital of a fuck huge nation with a prospering economy.

Sizzle

Arcane
No, dudes, sorry, BG2 is a bigger (as in - more quests, content and things to do) game than PoE, even with TWM and Tyranny included.

Just compare all the stuff you can do in Athkatla to the meager content in Defiance Bay.
Defiance Bay isn't the capital of a fuck huge nation with a prospering economy.

So? What's the argument supposed to be here - because it's not a prospering nation, it shouldn't have problems that adventurers can solve?

Don't get me wrong, I like PoE - but comparing it content-wise (not just gameplay length-wise) to BG2 is just silly.

Sentinel

Arcane
So that makes it okay to include quests like "Help me get the wedding ring from my husband!!"
No, it doesn't. I realized immediately after I posted that I for some reason completely misread what he said. Just can't be bothered editing it.
Although, what quest is that? I don't really remember any gay fetch quest in defiance bay. Thought they were pretty fun. Are you talking about the one with the woman crying in the tavern that her husband's a faggot and loves drugs more than pussy, and she wants her ring back? I liked that quest to be honest.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
So that makes it okay to include quests like "Help me get the wedding ring from my husband!!"
Huh? That's was a good quest, and definetly not a fetch quest.
Well I'm just saying if we're comparing BG2 city vs PoE city quests. In BG2 someone asks you to fetch a gem for them, which leads you into a mage layer hidden in the sewers and then to an inter planar prison. 'Sigh' the good old days, men.

Bonerbill

Augur

Yeah, no it's not. Keep dreaming though. White March and Tyranny alone is around around 80 hours of content, and the base game of Pillars is pretty dense.

Maybe because most of BG2's quests were in that city.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Yeah, enemies feel like hp sponges and takes forever to kill a single mage while the mages in your party drop like flies.

Asymmetric mechanics like Dragon Age 2 you say? :)
Hey can you answer a question for me please.

What do you think, in general, about obsidian writing? Not the game mechanics or engine tech etc. Just the writing. PoE, Fallout NV and Tyranny (if you feel you've played enough of it... or seen enough I guess heh). How does it compare to stuff you've played from the past couple of decades? Conversations, information about the world, quests etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

What do you think, in general, about obsidian writing? Not the game mechanics or engine tech etc. Just the writing. PoE, Fallout NV and Tyranny (if you feel you've played enough of it... or seen enough I guess heh). How does it compare to stuff you've played from the past couple of decades? Conversations, information about the world, quests etc.

I thought New Vegas was reasonably well-written. Pillars of Eternity wasn't bad, but needed a proper editing pass. I know nothing about Tyranny other than a couple of rage-inducing lines.

Dreaad

Arcane

I thought New Vegas was reasonably well-written. Pillars of Eternity wasn't bad, but needed a proper editing pass. I know nothing about Tyranny other than a couple of rage-inducing lines.
What about, say, Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age 2. Just so we get an idea of scale.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, enemies feel like hp sponges and takes forever to kill a single mage while the mages in your party drop like flies.

Asymmetric mechanics like Dragon Age 2 you say? :)
I don't know how PotD works in this game but I got the impression the stat bonuses granted to enemies scale. Skill checks and stat boosting consumables scale too so wouldn't surprise me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What about, say, Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age 2. Just so we get an idea of scale.

I'd file both under "dumb but entertaining enough."

It takes a lot for me to outright dislike writing in RPGs in general. I hated the companions in NWN2. All of them except the one who dies in a forced cutscene. I think that might be the only negative reaction I've had.

I don't know how PotD works in this game but I got the impression the stat bonuses granted to enemies scale. Skill checks and stat boosting consumables scale too so wouldn't surprise me.

I'm referring to enemies not working by the same health rules your character do. In Pillars of Eternity, Josh said that symmetric rules were a goal of his, and you can see that for yourself by checking out the enemy stats in the bestiary. Apparently in this one, enemies get the kind of health values your characters can't get.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Pillars of Eternity, Josh said that symmetric rules were a goal of his, and you can see that for yourself by checking out the enemy stats in the bestiary. Apparently in this one, enemies get the kind of health values your characters can't get.
Hmm I'm not sure if that's true, somebody should check.

PC mages do get a beating though, because the enemies are very agressive. Barik's no Eder, his ability to control the field is limited to taunting (which can miss) and hitting like a wet noodle if someone breaks engagement, which they are programmed to do often. Also battles are almost always in the open so there's no doorway assist.

Pair that with how the game doesn't have interrupts outside of specific skills, you can have someone beating the fuck of an enemy wizard or archer and they'll just spam skills forever on your mage while not caring there's two buddies next to him since there's no friendly fire.

I stopped playing on PotD because it was getting obnoxious, spells miss often and are all very weak compared to PoE so you have very little control of the field, just gotta buff up with mirror image/hit conversion (which is a lot more common in this game) and tank the damage while spamming cooldowns.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity, Josh said that symmetric rules were a goal of his, and you can see that for yourself by checking out the enemy stats in the bestiary. Apparently in this one, enemies get the kind of health values your characters can't get.

PC mages do get a beating though, because the enemies are very agressive. Barik's no Eder, his ability to control the field is limited to taunting (which can miss) and hitting like a wet noodle if someone breaks engagement, which they are programmed to do often.
Barik sucks because you can't change his armour. As for mages, I thought they were pretty overpowered. There was more than enough healing, deflection and damage to destroy any mob. I played most of the game with 1 tank using light armor and high finesse + the 3 mage companions.

Johannes

Arcane
How long is the game approximately, and how much of that is trash mobs (and are there any battles that AREN'T trash mobs)? What would you say is the game's redeeming feature if you'd have to invent one?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

PC mages do get a beating though, because the enemies are very agressive. Barik's no Eder, his ability to control the field is limited to taunting (which can miss) and hitting like a wet noodle if someone breaks engagement, which they are programmed to do often.
Barik sucks because you can't change his armour. As for mages, I thought they were pretty overpowered. There was more than enough healing, deflection and damage to destroy any mob. I played most of the game with 1 tank using light armor and high finesse + the 3 mage companions.
They felt weak as fuck on PotD. Spam all your cooldowns to kill someone. The illusion buffs + the frost cone were the only spells that felt decent.

Still feels weak on Hard but at least you only need to rotate all their cooldowns twice to kill someone.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Easy check: Xaurips are level 1, have 36 endurance and 10 constitution, ergo they have base 12 endurance like a chanter, cipher, druid, priest, ranger, or rogue. Level 3 Xaurip Priests have the same con and 60 endurance, so the math checks out.

Plain old skeletons also have 36 endurance, level 2 small blights have 48.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Indeed, Tyranny systematically hides enemy health numbers. You just see five pips that each signify 20% of max health.

There's no bestiary either, but enemy variety is so limited that the game doesn't need one.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is it true that there's only one ending? Don't think I'm gonna bother suffering through this anus combat for 10 more hours if the ending is the same. Just gonna read it up if so.

Fairfax

Arcane

They felt weak as fuck on PotD. Spam all your cooldowns to kill someone. The illusion buffs + the frost cone were the only spells that felt decent.

Still feels weak on Hard but at least you only need to rotate all their cooldowns twice to kill someone.
It might be because I had the PC as tank for enemies to engage. Sirin is definitely OP, though, specially after level 13 when she gets 2 songs simultaneously and you can get a talent that makes her immune to engagement.

Is it true that there's only one ending? Don't think I'm gonna bother suffering through this anus combat for 10 more hours if the ending is the same. Just gonna read it up if so.
The actual big event in the end is a cliffhanger and that doesn't change, but there's the traditional Obsidian slideshow, which does.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
In Pillars of Eternity, Josh said that symmetric rules were a goal of his, and you can see that for yourself by checking out the enemy stats in the bestiary.

Tyranny allows you to pre-buff to your heart's content, but the enemies never do it. Symmetry never had a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom