Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite type of RPG

What is your favorite type of RPG?

• BI/Troika style of RPG with heavy emphasis on C&C, zone based game-world(eg Fallout 1/2, Bloodlines)

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Open world RPGs (eg Gothic 1/2, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Morrowind, Skyrim)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Grid-based dungeon crawlers/blobbers (eg Wizardry 1-8, Might and Magic 1-10, Dark Heart of Uukrul)

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • Real time simulation RPGs (eg Ultima Underworld 1/2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis)

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Roguelikes (eg NetHack, ADOM, ToME)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Real Time Hack-n-Slash RPGs (eg. Diablo 1-3, Titan Quest, Sacred)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isometric dungeon crawlers (eg Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 1-2)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Story driven RPGs (eg Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, KotOR 1/2, Divine Divinity)

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • jRPGs (eg Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, Anachronox)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • RPGs with heavy strategic elements (eg King of the Dragon Pass, Jagged Alliance 2, Mount & Blade)

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Other (kingcomrade)

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

V_K

Arcane
Cause it's the one sub-genre I can't ever play, always end up quitting after a few hours, and as a result of that, I don't know much about it. That's why I asked for suggestions. If I change the option to First Person Dungeon Crawlers/Blobbers, would that work better?
There's still a huge difference between puzzle-heavy blobbers (Wiz6-8, DHoU, DM and clones) and combat-only blobbers (Wiz1-3, Demise, most Japanese ones).

Would have picked the former if they were an option, but as it is I went with "Other" meaning "RPG/Adventure hybrids (QfG, HQ)".

Any chance of a 'ranking' or 'choose multiple' option? I bet there's a fuckload of people like me who chose option 1, but would choose Deus Ex-style and/or blobber-style as such a close second that choosing one gives a very skewed result, because they provide much of the same pleasures via very different mechanisms (e.g. if you like option 1, you'll probably love either Deus Ex/SS style games for the choices, interactivity and exploration, or you'll probably love blobbers for the tactical combat and strategic party builds).

Cause it's the one sub-genre I can't ever play, always end up quitting after a few hours, and as a result of that, I don't know much about it. That's why I asked for suggestions. If I change the option to First Person Dungeon Crawlers/Blobbers, would that work better?
There's still a huge difference between puzzle-heavy blobbers (Wiz6-8, DHoU, DM and clones) and combat-only blobbers (Wiz1-3, Demise, most Japanese ones).

Would have picked the former if they were an option, but as it is I went with "Other" meaning "RPG/Adventure hybrids (QfG, HQ)".

In fairness, Wiz 1-3 were puzzle-heavy at the time, because they hid the mechanics. No internet then, and the manual gave only the vaguest hints as to how to obtain the ninja/lord classes. In fact, the mechanics for all classes were very much a 'work them out'. All you got in the manual was 'fighters are the best all-round front-line melee class, samurai are exceptional with swords and get some magic skills later, priests heal and can survive pretty well in melee, mages are glass canons, bishops will level slowly but access all skills, thieves are needed for locks/traps and might be good in combat if you can figure out how but we're not telling - and ninja/lord are flat-out the best, because lord gets all fighter advantages plus priest healing, while ninja gets a vague arrangement of auto-kills and special abilities that we won't elaborate on. We're also not telling you how you get those classes'.

Same applies for several of the more powerful spells - e.g. the description for the teleport spell is that it can take you into solid rock and perma-kill your whole party (very bad in a game where having a backup party to retrieve your main party to the temple for resurrection was a core mechanic) - even when you got the more advanced version that let you pick where to teleport, you needed to know the grid co-ordinates, which required flawless mapping. Same with all the resistances and protection-from-effect spells - you only had vague descriptions, so figuring out the actual mechanics of what effects what was the core point of the game.

The Wiz 1 dungeon is notoriously short, in that there's an elevator on level 3 that takes you straight to the last level if you want to go there. The game-time is in figuring out wtf each of the classes do, and how things work. Also, in the era of line-art graphics and hand-drawn mapping, those mirror/teleport/anti-light/anti-magic sections were not to be sneezed at puzzle-wise.

Sjukob

Arcane
I think you can't put Gothic , TES and FO3 and FO:NV in line , at least not the first two Gothics . They are more linear , with some of the content being unaccessible until certain progression is achieved , this doesn't happen with other games you listed . It would have been more adequate to put it in line with Witcher I-II , since player is rail-roaded to certain degree in those games and more zones become accessible as the game goes on .

As for me , the type of RPG doesn't really matter as long as it's done right .

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like all the categories, except JRPGs (I may have liked them if not for the anime style). Rogue-likes I just have to skip, as there's so many other games I'd rather play and which I'm more likely to complete in this life time.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Chose JRPG's because I loved them as a kid, and they generally have (had) good combat systems. Can't tolerate them anymore since the writers have developed an unusual disdain for pragmatism in its protagonists. I generally find myself rooting for the bad guys.

More recently, I care less about genres, and more about any game with some degree of difficulty, exploration, and party customization. Turn-based never hurts, either. So...I guess blobbers.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't really feel like making a choice at all. Some days you are in the mood for this, some days you are in the mood for that. Different sub-genres scratch different itches.

That being said, I'm gonna vote blobbers cause its a subgenre that deserves much more love.

V_K

Arcane
In fairness, Wiz 1-3 were puzzle-heavy at the time, because they hid the mechanics. No internet then, and the manual gave only the vaguest hints as to how to obtain the ninja/lord classes. In fact, the mechanics for all classes were very much a 'work them out'. All you got in the manual was 'fighters are the best all-round front-line melee class, samurai are exceptional with swords and get some magic skills later, priests heal and can survive pretty well in melee, mages are glass canons, bishops will level slowly but access all skills, thieves are needed for locks/traps and might be good in combat if you can figure out how but we're not telling - and ninja/lord are flat-out the best, because lord gets all fighter advantages plus priest healing, while ninja gets a vague arrangement of auto-kills and special abilities that we won't elaborate on. We're also not telling you how you get those classes'.

Same applies for several of the more powerful spells - e.g. the description for the teleport spell is that it can take you into solid rock and perma-kill your whole party (very bad in a game where having a backup party to retrieve your main party to the temple for resurrection was a core mechanic) - even when you got the more advanced version that let you pick where to teleport, you needed to know the grid co-ordinates, which required flawless mapping. Same with all the resistances and protection-from-effect spells - you only had vague descriptions, so figuring out the actual mechanics of what effects what was the core point of the game.

The Wiz 1 dungeon is notoriously short, in that there's an elevator on level 3 that takes you straight to the last level if you want to go there. The game-time is in figuring out wtf each of the classes do, and how things work. Also, in the era of line-art graphics and hand-drawn mapping, those mirror/teleport/anti-light/anti-magic sections were not to be sneezed at puzzle-wise.
Well, in my book, a puzzle is something that can be solved with logic provided enough clues. If the only possible way to come up with a solution is through repeated trial-and-error, that's not a puzzle, just annoying busywork.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Nice try and I can sympathise with your motivation for making the poll, but, sorry dude, your poll sucks big time :D on practically every level. There is no TLDR for explaining why as a whole but I'm sure each poster will highlight a different reason why.

laclongquan

Arcane
I reserve the right to change my mind later.

My choice is based on the presented games on that line item, ie if you classify the game into the wrong option it would have been a big whoops.

That said, story driven RPGs (eg Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, KotOR 1/2, Divine Divinity).

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I reserve the right to change my mind later.

My choice is based on the presented games on that line item, ie if you classify the game into the wrong option it would have been a big whoops.

That said, story driven RPGs (eg Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, KotOR 1/2, Divine Divinity).

DivDiv has mandatory story bits but is otherwise open world as can be

Divine Divnity is not a story driven rpg lol wtf.

I guess you could categorize DD under open world, but with 3 separate world maps meant to be done in certain order, that's kinda sketchy too.

Why couldn't you have given us multiple votes? q.q

Because I am sure all of us have RPGs we love in each/most of those, I wanted to really get at people's favorite subgenre if they had to choose.

Also you should've combined BI/Troika style/open world/simulation into one category. That would've been one pick. Another pick would've been story-driven with choice and consequence.

Those would be too broad. Troika/BI games have a certain feel and it's not open-world, which has a different feel, as does the simulation sub-category.

I think you can't put Gothic , TES and FO3 and FO:NV in line , at least not the first two Gothics . They are more linear , with some of the content being unaccessible until certain progression is achieved , this doesn't happen with other games you listed . It would have been more adequate to put it in line with Witcher I-II , since player is rail-roaded to certain degree in those games and more zones become accessible as the game goes on .

While Gothics feel different from TES games and those feel different from NV, fundamentally, it's the same sub-genre. Physically they are open world, but if you go somewhere, you might get your brains bashed in. Witcher 1-2, on the other hand, are physically corridor games, you can only move along certain corridors.

Is AoD a Troika/Black Isle style RPG or a storydriven game?

Troika/Black Isle style RPG. People might like its story, but mostly they will remember it for C&C.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
In which you can loot barrels. Actually if you can't loot barrels in a game, probably it's not a proper RPG anyway.

ntonystinson

Scholar
There should be a category called Dynamic World Simulation RPG where the world changes/moves with or without the PC's involvement eg Mount and Blade Warband and Crusader Kings 2

Well, in my book, a puzzle is something that can be solved with logic provided enough clues. If the only possible way to come up with a solution is through repeated trial-and-error, that's not a puzzle, just annoying busywork.

Trial and error was not a winnable tactic, due to the depletion of resources and deadliness of the traps. If your reaction to a level filled with squares that rotate you 180 degrees, or that teleport you, was to randomly wander, you'd lose your whole party very quickly to pit traps. Again, that's different to a normal death, because you're not going to be able to send in your backup party to collect them and res, as they'll just die from the same mistake - it's a perma-wipe.

The way to win was to pay very careful attention to the mapping, and stop as soon as something doesn't make sense. E.g. you can see that the corridor you're walking down should take 6 moves to reach the turnoff. You get there in 5. Something has happened, and you better stop, look around and try to work out what has happened, because you can bet your ass that there's a nasty pit/teleport that's going to fuck you big-time if you just wander blindly.

Same with the spells, resistances and class abilities. You have vague descriptions to work with, but it isn't about trial and error - it's about paying attention. If you're watching what's going on, you'll notice that your samurai isn't hitting as hard as your fighter, but with a sword he's getting a progressively larger number of attacks per round - once you notice that, you can make use of it. Use logic - if flame spells work well on some undead monsters, they're probably going to work well on other undead. If you're fighting a bunch of noxious slimes, then spells that give sickness debuffs probably won't do much.

Another example - you'll encounter a ninja in a certain boss fight much earlier than you'll get a character to access that class. Pay attention to what works well against it, and the ways in which it can carve up your party, and you'll have a headstart and how to make good use of the class when/if you finally access it.

V_K

Arcane
With that approach you can call any sufficiently complex combat encounter a puzzle because you have to figure out the right tactics to win it. But the only thing you'd achive with it is make the term "puzzle" devoid of any meaning whatsoever. Conventions are there for a reason.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Definetly the first option. It helps with immersion, which is, in my opinion, the most important thing in any RPG. Open world games tend to dillute their storylines overtime. That's why I have so many problems with getting into them.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I was first leaning towards open world, but then I saw Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and decided against it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom