Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG/MMORPG world did you like the most? In terms of immersion, graphics, art style, setting, a

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Which RPG/MMORPG *world* did you like the most in terms of immersion, graphics, art style, setting, ....and pretty locations?

For me my favorite was a game called Vanguard which got shut down about a year or so ago. It is eventually going to be brought back by an emulator team. The concept artist was a guy called Keith Parkinson who was awesome, and he worked on EverQuest. I loved EQ as well but Vanguard is kind of my benchmark for gorgeous worlds and I've never found anything I liked as much.

There are games with far better tech now, much more advanced graphics, far more lush grass, higher resolution textures etc.. etc.. Yet I still prefer the way Vanguard looks. It is very colorful and more fantasy-ish, yet without being cartoony. I also love the locations in the game. There are massive Arabian deserts, lush Elven forests, defiled undead areas etc.. And every type of region has huge cities and huge open spaces made with that style. And the locations are interesting too, visually and in terms of gameplay. There are dungeons that are made from huge stone walls etc, and look like ancient crafted labyrinths, but also dungeons that are natural like caves, and some have huge crystals sprouting out of the walls which drain your mana when you go near them. The haunted house Hilsbury Manor is my kind of place as well, and that whole region has a really sombre and creepy feel with vampires and undead infesting areas that were cold, damp and misty even to begin with.

I miss that game....

Do you have any games like this?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ I've been there :) Thread needs some pics, I'm gonna add.

maxresdefault.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hard to find screenshots of Vanguard because there aren't many hosted anymore. Also they don't really do the game justice, it looked amazing with everything cranked.

a63918a4-5b62-4d43-b288-f5ca67122a40.JPG

1d3a9cd4-efb7-400e-8b01-3d865e4b7c06.JPG

353814-vanguard-saga-of-heroes-windows-screenshot-riding-across-the.jpg

Last edited:

wyork

Novice
For me it's: Dark Age of Camelot
3 realms (Midgard, Hibernia, Albion) with distinctive scenery and architecture.

Deleted member 7219

Vvardenfell, from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Splintered, rocky islands. Volcanic ash plains. Grasslands. Mushroom forests. Bug shell towns. Roman (Imperial) forts. Daedric and dwemer ruins everywhere. Then there's caves, tombs and mines thrown in for good measure. I had never played in a game world like it - so much was different from the normal medieval game world you get in most RPGs.

So, diverse environments, hand-placed secrets to find, and a unique atmosphere - AND amazing music from Jeremy Soule. Right now I can hear the soundtrack in my head and see myself walking towards Vivec, past a silt strider making its weird noise, there's some weird jellyfish creatures floating around in the distance, and a guard gruffly barks a greeting (that always depend on your race, your reputation and what you've achieved)... Morrowind had a great game world.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
For me it's: Dark Age of Camelot
3 realms (Midgard, Hibernia, Albion) with distinctive scenery and architecture.
Yeah I loved that game. Did you know there is a DAOC Emulator? I played it a few years ago, I assume it is still going. Vanguard's world was similar too, it had 3 continents. One was Asian themed and the classes were martial arts inspired and the environments were like Japanese-ish and the architecture. And there was an Arabian region, and then the big continent was Elven with lush forests etc. It also looked like medieval Europe with stone keeps etc.

It reminds me of an oil painting. The only game that got my feels going almost as much was Witcher 3 which I think also looks like an oil painting. But I still much prefer Vanguard.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Brittania from Ultima 4 through Ultima 7 (er and I suppose also Ultima 9, if poorly done).

Keeping the same world for over a decade really helped it seem like you were really taking a trip to another place, and they way they kept tweaking it between games (not always for the better, mind you) made it seem like it had a life outside your visits.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Britannia for immersion. It had back stories on most characters and its continued history between its iterations which made it feel alive even when that history had gaps. The cities were distinct. Overall Britannia felt quaint in a good way that most fantasy games haven't tried to emulate, focussing more on gigantic orc hordes and earth shattering magic.

ultima9-5.jpg

2-U7_0A_02.png

Athas for its Bronze Age aesthetics

dark-sun-slave-tribes-2nd-edition-2e-d-d-dungeons-and-dragons-games-rpg-ad-d-70aa559edc6ee4316a4d4e38489d9574.jpg

silver-spring-oasis.jpg

TDE 3rd edition (Realms of Arkania games). At that time TDE was considered D&D's quaint little German cousin, the rules were deliberately restrictive to enforce roleplaying and limit "epicness" (also many things did not get statted). Still the source books had that certain Tolkienness going on in that they frequently hinted at hidden creatures and locations that would blow the minds of players should they be allowed to discover them (think the creatures gnawing at the bones of the world in Middle Earth or Valinor/ Enchanted Isles).

Dunkle-St%C3%A4dte-lichte-W%C3%A4lder-DSA-Das.jpg

Gotter-Magier-und-Geweihte-Das-Schwarze-Auge-DSA-_1.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Vanilla WOW had hit and miss zones but boy did they nail it with Ashenvale, it was quite a magical place

One of my best gaming memories was doing pvp in Stranglethorn. I used to creep around stealthed in the bushes, waiting to find someone by themselves so I could pounce.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nehrim from Nehrim. Enderal not so much because it's less German, Nehrim had that super edge of teutonic goodness

Assassin's Creed 1 Middle East. If I had to point to the best AAA worldbuilding I would point there.

Nothing else particularly leaps out of me unless you start citing the obvious ones

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I love dark and gritty urban landscape so Deus Ex and Bloodlines work for me. When it comes to fantasy, I liked Skyrim a lot, since I'm also a sucker for all sorts of frozen hell holes.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Britannia an Serpent Isle from U4 - 7: Same reasons as above.

Sigil in Planescape: Torment. MCA an team made an almost perfect rendition o pen an paper settin, only two things i'd change: One more portals an mini adventures across weird an distinct planes scattered throughout Sigil. Two, expand Sigil, its factions an areas, see Gatehouse that Nodd talks about, experience a little more of each Ward, get more involved in politics or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom