Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To the common user, anybody with front page posting privileges is typically regarded as a staff member.

Gregz

Arcane
Well, this is completely retarded.

I guess we should only expect 'honest' reviews of non-codex approved titles in the future. This is Roxor's review all over again except worse. You guys are showing the lowest form of nepotism by not forgiving PJ his chimpout. He worked hard on the review, did his honest best, and you guys are ready to ban a 10-yr oldfag because you pissed him off with your blatant nepotism.

Might want to change this while you're at it:

"Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion."

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
DarkUnderlord, please eject me. I'm done with this site.

giphy.gif

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

I guess we should only expect 'honest' reviews of non-codex approved titles in the future. This is Roxor's review all over again except worse. You guys are showing the lowest form of nepotism by not forgiving PJ his chimpout. He worked hard on the review, did his honest best, and you guys are ready to ban a 10-yr oldfag because you pissed him off with your blatant nepotism.

"Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion."

If he had written "Tyranny pays much less attention to world building and C&C than Age of Decadence" after admitting that he had never played AoD, I would still have had a problem with that.

A horse of course

Look at this shit. Look at how much damage those fuckers at Obsidian have done to this site. When will you people wake up and stop giving them attention?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
you guys are ready to ban a 10-yr oldfag because you pissed him off with your blatant nepotism.

I think you're misreading this situation if you think that the staff are being any more favourable to Vince than they are to Brian Heins.

Let me put it this way: for Tyranny, they hand-picked Prime Junta and promised him a free key, paid for from the Codex coffers if need be. For Dungeon Rats, they made a thread and asked "Who's doing it?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bubbles, what happened here was really bad. I don't think you would have immediately deleted the review after posting it if you didn't realize that yourself. We can't afford to lose people willing to produce well-written content because of nonsense like this.

What happens now as a consequence of this isn't my call (maybe nothing), but contemplate that.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Indeed. I think Prime Junta can put whatever the hell he wants in his review as long as overall it stays on topic, is readable and covers all of the game's aspects. OK, he hasn't played AoD. It's not an AoD review, so who cares?

If he had written "Tyranny pays much less attention to world building and C&C than Age of Decadence" after admitting that he had never played AoD, I would still have had a problem with that.
Well, that's beyond retarded. Seriously, since when a disclaimer isn't enough?

What you're doing here, guys, is setting a bad precedent. Your future reviewers will lean towards avoiding any problematic comparisons (and they're all potentially problematic) because who knows what kind of completely arbitrary excuse you'll come up with next time. Nobody wants their work to go to waste. By enforcing subjective standards you lose your edge as a trustworthy publication that pulls no punches.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
I'm still not getting why what he said about AoD was so offensive. Can anyone explain? I don't see why you would delete a review simply for writing a throw away line like "more games should do choices and consequences like Tyranny and AoD."

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Comparing Tranny to AoD in the review is just gonna make the entire thread be about that statement, I guess if that's what they want.

The "comparison" in question is a brief, by-the-way observation that in addition to their focus on choice & consequence, both games feature similar "pre-medieval" settings. That seems like a fairly noncontroversial statement to me, one that has been repeated by many. I don't know why those three gentlemen find it so alarming.

We have being talking about AoD being an obvious influence of Tyranny for a long time now. See the comments in this thread and some comparisons between the concept art of both games. Moreover, there are some positive reviews made by people outside the Codex that compared Tyranny with AoD regarding the setting, etc. For instance, game pressure said that

In this respect Tyranny resembles Age of Decadence, which also took some inspiration from Ancient Rome, because greater importance is attached to conversation and decisions than to exploration and discovering new kinds of monsters and treasures.

YOU DON'T NEED TO PLAY AGE OF DECADENCE TO KNOW THAT. Comments about the resemblances between both games pop up everywhere. See this thread on the Obsidian foruns. Really, they are not that hard to find. The real question is not whether the comparison is appropriate or not, but why some members of the staff are so upset that Vault Dweller's game is mentioned alongside an Obsidian game. The fact that someone would make such a petty manoeuvring about something so small and insignifcant is beyond me.

You know that's enough for the codex. As soon as Lurker King is summoned it's game over.

Let's get to the bottom of this. Lacrymas, you played both games. Do you think that they have anything in common regarding the setting?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wait, Bubbles deleted it? That's as fucked up or more than anything Prime Junta did.

Bubbles?

I briefly published Prime Junta's review before Infinitron had officially cleared it because we were only arguing in circles over the AoD line and I wanted to see what the public thought of it. Then I immediately regretted going over the staff's heads and deleted it within five seconds. It's not scheduled to be posted until the middle of this week.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

giphy.gif

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's not scheduled to be posted until the middle of this week.

Oh, okay. That's alright then. Just make sure to add an editorial comment after the part about AoD that says something like PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PERSON WRITING THIS REVIEW HAS NEVER ONCE PLAYED AGE OF DECADENCE. You know, for clarity. Thanks.

Mortmal

Arcane
Can we review more of this drama instead of Tyranny?
I am expecting more drama to read too, tyranny is an ok game but nothing like an epic 80 hour baldur's gate 2, not much to write about . I as many codexers would be a lot more entertained to read about codex corruption, free game keys to some chosen fews and so on. Also blame infinitron.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm still not getting why what he said about AoD was so offensive. Can anyone explain? I don't see why you would delete a review simply for writing a throw away line like "more games should do choices and consequences like Tyranny and AoD."
He compares tyranny to AOD but never played AOD wich is quite not ethical to do in a serious review . But the true drama is the review is commissioned to one guy, the game is bought by the codex, with some of the large sums obisidian is giving them to cover and advertise their products. While on the other hand no one gives a flying fuck about dungeon rats review, no copy is bought and they are ok to give the review to the first drunken foreigner who wants to do it.Same thing happens for sits and likely other indies.

The moral of the story is if you want a quality review for your games contact infinitron , donate generously to his paypal , and you will get a premium review + advertisemnt + added to the steam curator list no matter the quality of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He compares tyranny to AOD but never played AOD wich is quite not ethical to do in a serious review . But the true drama is the review is commissioned to one guy, the game is bought by the codex, with some of the large sums obisidian is giving them to cover and advertise their products. While on the other hand no one gives a flying fuck about dungeon rats review, no copy is bought and they are ok to give the review to the first drunken foreigner who wants to do it.Same thing happens for sits and likely other indies.

The moral of the story is if you want a quality review for your games contact infinitron , donate generously to his paypal , and you will get a premium review + advertisemnt + added to the steam curator list no matter the quality of the game.

Darth Roxor is doing the Dungeon Rats review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom