Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Modron

Arcane
Are you lot planning to nerf the necromancers?
Pretty sure the necromancers only raise 1 zombie per round, it's just some battlefields mostly graveyards and their ilk also revive a number of enemies per round. Of course I could be wrong.

Q1 2017 is too far away they got those achievements just sitting there taunting you whenever you look at the game in your library.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you lot planning to nerf the necromancers?
Pretty sure the necromancers only raise 1 zombie per round, it's just some battlefields mostly graveyards and their ilk also revive a number of enemies per round. Of course I could be wrong.

Q1 2017 is too far away they got those achievements just sitting there taunting you whenever you look at the game in your library.

Nah, they buffed them big-league. My band combated a necro and some thugs today; I was able to cut down the thugs, but he raised multiple zombies a turn. He has a new power, too, to make a zombie super-powered.

I guess it's one of those things where you have to flee. It's just odd that you chase down some thugs, and then SURPRISE there's a necromancer. Also, SURPRISE, he is a hell of a lot stronger now. The joys of ironman.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Why not just send someone on the wide flank to deal with the Necro? Or maybe move closer with your line and try to kill him with your archers.
I never try to push through battle, when Necro is still around.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
uyak9r5.png

Andnjord

Arcane
One thing I've realized that is incredible is that despite there being no animation whatsoever the combat actually feels really brutal and dare I say it, visceral. You don't need to see the axe coming down on your mercenaries to feel the weight behind the arm of the orc warrior as it tears apart you shield wall. Just a little icon, a little flash and a noise effect and you know how painful that spear was as it tore through Bernard the Brave's guts.

Congratulation to the team, it's a real gem of a game you guys are developing there :salute:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Recently returned to the game after a long absence and HOOOOLY SHIIIET this is looking great. Good to see that countermeasures to goblins have been added to the game. I left because goblins kinda killed the fun for me. The new intro story also seems more interesting. The game changed a lot since last I played it and only for the better it seems.

Well, there is only one reasonable response to how BB is faring:

supporter.png

Supporter upgrade FTW o/

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_misc.jpg

Dev Blog #91: Miscellaneous Improvements
Work has shifted to the upcoming late game crises, the ‘Greater Evil’. It’s not quite ready yet to present it to you this week, so instead we’re taking you on a tour throughout the numerous smaller improvements we’ve made to the game for the next update – many of them based on your feedback. Let’s go!

Miscellaneous Improvements
Playing Battle Brothers at a high resolution and finding the UI to be too tiny? The next update is about to solve things, with two additional sliders in the game’s video options, allowing you both to scale the size of the UI and the size of the scene (i.e. everything that isn’t the UI) independently.

The worldmap has received a lot of minor improvements over the last couple of weeks. Ever wondered how it is that your company can apparently swim across the water, or what straits can be crossed and what straits can’t? With the next update, any crossings across water now have additional visuals to clearly identify them as such, so that you’ll always know where you can go and where you’ll have to find another way across the water.

Regions controlled by noble houses are now much more coherent, and also often larger than before, which makes patrolling between settlements less of a hassle. What’s also less of a hassle now is pursuing enemy parties – clicking them outside the radius to immediately engage in combat now results in your company automatically following them and trying to get in range, no matter what turns they make to shake you, for as long as they remain in sight. No more frantic clicking all over them in an attempt to catch up!

A common request is for the introduction of a ‘camera lock’ feature – having the map always show your mercenary company at the center of the screen and scroll the map as the company moves. The next update introduces just that as an option you can enable or disable at any time via a button in the top bar or hotkey.

Different settlements offer different services, which is a good thing, because it makes them more unique. Currently, it also means that you, as the player, are required to either memorize or write down what services are on offer in what settlement, however. The next update makes things easier by showing in a settlement’s tooltip every specialized building present in that settlement – all that’s required is that you visit the settlement at least once. Speaking of buildings, every newly generated map is now guaranteed to have at least one of every type of building present.

The tactical combat also has seen some improvements, of course. Of note is that allied units – militia, noble house troops or even wardogs – no longer block movement for your men, and you can hop over them just as you can with your own men, which makes maneuvering in larger battles quite a bit easier.

And finally, hovering over a brother in the roster view will reveal a few combat-related statistics once the next update hits – how many battles the man has seen, how many kills he’s made and the most fearsome opponent he’s slain. If there’s more stats you’d like to see, let us know in the comments below!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
And finally, hovering over a brother in the roster view will reveal a few combat-related statistics once the next update hits – how many battles the man has seen, how many kills he’s made and the most fearsome opponent he’s slain. If there’s more stats you’d like to see, let us know in the comments below!
A detailed list of all his kills, of course

Wolfenswan

Novice

If you're able to track this, can you also auto-create nick-names/titles based on named mobs slain? "Slayer of Blackwolf" and such. And in case he kills another named mob, just append. I figure a name such as "Hans, Slayer of X, Vanquisher of Y, Destroyer of Z" etc. etc. is just apt for a grizzled mercenary veteran.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always wondered about purchasing this title, but the procedurally-generated maps has always put me off. Is it still worth the price despite this ?

You can't get a whore who will fucks you up better than this game for 15 bucks. Good system, good challenge. Procedural map do not really disturb anything because placement often is logical (and there is no narrative per se anyway, so it doesn't matter).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I've realized that is incredible is that despite there being no animation whatsoever the combat actually feels really brutal and dare I say it, visceral. You don't need to see the axe coming down on your mercenaries to feel the weight behind the arm of the orc warrior as it tears apart you shield wall. Just a little icon, a little flash and a noise effect and you know how painful that spear was as it tore through Bernard the Brave's guts.

Congratulation to the team, it's a real gem of a game you guys are developing there :salute:

Yeah, goddamn fucking this.

I will admit that I pirated the game to try it out, but by now I know exactly that this is the game I will buy as a Christmas present for myself, because it is the most fun I've had with a game in many, many years. You'll have my money, BB devs, and it'll be worth every single cent I spend on it :salute:

The combat just feels so incredibly right. The graphics might be simple, especially the abstracted character models, but there is so much detail that the game manages to convey the atmosphere of a battlefield much more effectively than anything else I've played. Projectiles always stick to the ground, there are blood spatters whenever you hit someone, armor damage as well as hitpoint damage are visible, so a guy's leather armor will end up having holes everywhere and his face will bear bloody cuts after sustaining some hits. The battlefield actually looks like a battlefield, rather than just a static backdrop. The level of detail is amazing. And, of course, the sounds. Holy shit the atmosphere is thick in this game.

And then, the battle mechanics themselves. As a fan of HEMA and HMB, I'm totally into the weapon and armor selection. I LOVE POLEARMS THIS MUCH
And the weapons are all different, giving you different tactical options rather than just having different damage values. Warhammers are perfect for cracking armor. Clubs and maces can knock out enemies. Polearms have reach advantage. Swords allow you to riposte. Spears let you form a spear wall. Flails have a chance to go past the shield. Axes have a damage bonus against shields.

Using various different weapons makes tactical sense depending on the situation. Your sword dude might carry a spare axe in case a heavily armored enemy shows up and you need something more effective against armor. Carrying a spear is a good idea for every front row soldier because of the incredibly handy spearwall, even if their primary weapon is a different one. Every single weapon type plays differently.

And then, the enemies ALSO play differently. Each enemy type has different strengths, weaknesses, and tactics. Fighting bandits is different from fighting orcs, goblins, undead etc.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this game has the most satisfying combat I ever witnessed, and heck, I played a lot of games in my lifetime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom