Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
WHY THE FUCK DOES ANYONE PAY MONEY FOR THIS?

Probably a combination of (1) not playing real games and as a result not realizing how much worse mobile shit it and (2) you can play it on your phone at work in slow moments. I'm guessing that for most of the people who shell out that much money on the game, they are already making enough that a decent car, designer suit and hookers are already on the menu. A game they can play at work/on the subway is not.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are about 5 million cheap Panzer General clones and roguelikes available on mobile, so... :M

(and those are actually fun)

Gerrard

Arcane
California man spent $1 million playing Game of War
Mobile game described as "like gambling, but with no possibility of winning."
David Kravets - 12/9/2016, 10:01 PM

bvAv9xH.jpg

TIDBjMg.jpg

A 45-year-old California man pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to ripping off $4.8 million from his employer. Notably, the man admitted to spending $1 million of that bonanza on Game of War.

The mobile-phone game is developed by Machine Zone and heavily advertised by model Kate Upton. It's one of the top-grossing mobile games in the world, according to Adweek. And now we know why, at least in part.

Kevin Lee Co admitted in Sacramento federal court that,from May 2008 to March 2015, he embezzled nearly $5 million from his controller job at a heavy-equipment company called Holt California. He admitted in his guilty plea (PDF) to spending "approximately $1 million" on Game of War. He also admitted to getting plastic surgery and buying season tickets to the San Francisco 49ers and the Sacramento Kings. The record also showed Co bought "luxury cars" and a golf club membership.

We've read reports about players spending thousands of dollars on Game of War, which bills itself as "the world's largest multiplayer strategy game." It's raking in more than $1 million daily, but we've never seen a personal tab this high to date.

The strategy game sees players building empires with soldiers and attacking other players who are doing the same. The deeper you go, the more likely you'll shell out cash. VentureBeat said that Game of War's paying players spent an average of $550 on the game last year:

"A $550 annual average is insane, but Machine Zone has definitely mastered certain aspects of getting people with a lot of money to part with huge chunks of it. A big part of this, as analytics firm ThinkGaming points out, is that Game of War has a lot of depth for big spenders. The app has a multitude of systems that players need to engage with to ensure they have an army prepared for the next big multiplayer battle. But those systems are slow, and players can speed them up by spending cash. Of course, a lot of games do stuff like this, and part of Machine Zone’s success is that other studios haven’t figured out how to duplicate its money-making techniques. It’s also likely that Game of War has a disproportionate number of whales compared to those people who put just a few dollars in. The game heavily favors big spenders, and the top whales are a hundredfold more powerful than the common player who puts little or no cash into Game of War."

Cracked, meanwhile, did a piece last year entitled "5 Reasons I lost $9,000 On An iPhone Game." One reason is that players don't get to keep what they buy in Game of War.

"But, here, you're spending money on troops and other expendables that can be lost in combat. I was casually browsing the map at work recently and came across a guy who must have spent at least 7,000 Euros. He wasn't around to defend himself, so we attacked. We wiped out about 2,500 Euros. Two-and-a-half grand, gone in five minutes," according to Cracked. "It's like gambling, but with no possibility of winning."

For Co, the convicted embezzler, money was no object with Games of War. After all, he was gambling with his employer's money in additional ways. Co now faces a maximum 20-year term when sentenced in May.
So basically this is the final stage of "hardcore" open world MMO pvp fags.
You die in the game you die for real.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.pcgamesn.com/fable/lionhead-deals-with-fable-troll
Former Lionhead man reveals brash tactics studio used to stamp out Fable bully
The boys and girls at Lionhead may have moved on to pastures new, but it appears they’ve left us all with one important message: Whenever dealing with bullies, always threaten to rat them out to their mums.
That’s according to former community director at Lionhead Sam van Tilburgh. Addressing an audience at BAFTA, he revealed just how the UK studio dealt with a group of online trolls who threatened to release damaging screenshots of the original Fable during the game’s development back in 2003.

To cut a long story short, the studio fought back by warning the school boy heading up the group that they’d go fully nuclear on him and...prepare yourselves...tell his mum.

That’s cold, Lionhead. That’s really cold.

"There was this little group, and they were called Kibitz," Van Tilburgh told the audience, as reported by the BBC. "They managed to get their hands on some screenshots, one of which was the hero of Fable stabbing a little kid through the head. It was never meant to be released for obvious reasons. But they managed to get their hands on more material unannounced to this day...and they threatened us, the community team, with releasing them."

Van Tilburgh claims Lionhead’s response was to use the tools in its arsenal to track the young chap who had posted the images down.

Said images were published via Fable’s own forum, meaning Lionhead had the boy’s IP address. From that, they discovered who the 16 year old was and did a little digging of their own.

"We knew where the guy was living and managed to get a hold of the guy's high school record through a mate, including the poem that he had recited at his end of year [class]," he continued. "We wrote a public message as Lionhead Studios to the group Kibitz and we started the message with the opening lines of the poem he had recited in high school, and we included the landmark he could see from his house where he lived.

"And I said, 'You have got to stop this now otherwise I pass all this information on to your mum.'"

Interestingly, Van Tilburgh said Lionhead’s legal department was only informed of such tactics well after the event. Those involved were apparently aware it could all have blown up in their faces. Luckily, however, it all worked out well.

"He kept quiet and he was a very kind polite boy after that," he concluded. "I met him many times after at community events."

By my maths, said 16 year old will now be approaching 30 years old. If you’re out there, you little criminal, get in touch. I’d be interested to know if your mum ever found out.

edit. Does anyone here have those screenshots.:M

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I didn't know Honest Trailers did trailers for video games.

And they just made a trailer for one of the Codex favourites.

(Note: Covers the entire series.)

Cue butthurt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom