Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The future of gaming according to EA & co, lulz inbound!

Herbert West

Arbiter
Here it is! Fresh from a panel of "game luminaries", including Peter Molyneux, Chris Taylor und one of EA nazis, Neil Young. Looks like the future is... FLASH! [aa aaahh!! Saviour of the universe!]. Read the shit for yourself. Thaken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7258120.stm

The future of the games industry lies with the internet and content delivered from central servers, a panel of game luminaries has predicted.

"Everything is moving towards the network," said Neil Young, general manager of EA Los Angeles.

Phil Harrison, Sony's head of worldwide studios, said: "Public utility computing is absolutely the future of the games industry."

The panel was assembled by developer Dave Perry to discuss industry issues.

The panel included online gaming pioneer Raph Koster, Fable creator Peter Molyneux and Dungeon Siege creator Chris Taylor.

"A huge game changer for our industry is for there not to be a requirement for there to be a machine in the home," said Mr Young.

"[Instead] the game is playing as an instance on a Google server farm in Oregon, for it to be rendered, sent down the pipe and shown on a television that you paid an extra five or 10 dollars to your cable company to guarantee you had good enough bandwidth for gaming.

"That to me seems inevitable."
Mr Koster added: "The games will be playing off the same back end, and will be serving different heads of the game on different devices."

Mr Harrison pointed out there would always be an issue with delivering gaming content to players from servers due to the "speed of light".

Data sent over fibre optic networks is subject to the limitations of the speed of light, which means interactivity between the server and gamer will never have a latency below 70 milliseconds.

That could impact the kinds of experiences it was possible to offer people in the future because data could not move back and forth fast enough.

In the short term, Mr Young, said different devices, from consoles to the web and PCs, would co-exist in the home.

"For content creators your canvas just got bigger," he said.

Raph Koster, who was the lead designer on Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies, said the console industry was already being beaten by the web.

"Overall if you look at audience reach, quantity of games made and for that matter, although its difficult to measure, creativity, the web is kicking the console industry's ass in a major way."

He said Flash was the next big platform.

"It's pointing the way to the future more so than the current generations of hardware precisely because it is well on its way to becoming completely ubiquitous."

He said advances in the graphic possibilities of Flash in the coming year would further challenge the console business.

But he admitted that no-one was making money from Flash games at the moment.

Mr Harrison, who oversees the software line-up for the PlayStation 3, said: "In our proprietary view of a platform, it is a combination of technology, business model and consumer experience.

"The web, with Flash, is missing the business model aspect and consistency of consumer experience.

"Once it has figured it out then what you [Raph Koster] have said will become absolutely true."

Discuss!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In short:
MMO on consoles is the future...

Erzherzog

Magister
Reminds me of when a lot of people thought that the internet was going to primarily be used for directly downloading movies.

Top Hat

Scholar
Sometimes I think that game companies are just setting themselves up for massive failures down the road. And quite frankly, good riddance to them.

As a game consumer, I am getting sick of the increasing, and for the most part unnecessary increasing desire to turn games into a service rather than as a product. Not because it would cost me more money; but because you run the risk of the computer gaming world losing out on parts of its history if companies pull the plug on games.

There are some games that I've kept on to ever since I got my first PC quite a long time ago. Quite a lot of them are made by companies that do not exist, or at least not in the same way, today; yet I can still play them. Even if I lost them, there would still be copies out there and hope that one day I'd be able to get another copy somehow.

Compare to these "games as service" games: if the company decides to stop supporting the game, I might not be able to play that game ever again. Future generations might lose out on game classics. It's already happened to historic texts and music in ancient civilizations; should we allow the equivalent to happen in the modern era for the sake of a few companies making increasing profits to develop games that have still to improve the gameplay standards founded 20-30 years ago?

Then consider the fact that there are those people that still have very poor basic television and phone services, let alone high speed internet services; you are needlessly cutting down your customer base in a similar way to those companies that make games that require the newest hardware to run.

On a separate note, what's up with stupid terms like Flash and Bloom? Gaming is serious business!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Wow, it's the network computer again, this time as a network console. The 90's called and asked for their future back.

hakuroshi

Augur
And then some smart guy will come with brilliant idea - single player non-web games and everything will start again.

Section8

Cipher
Keep on rockin' in the free <s>world</s> market! Or failure thereof. Did someone leak Popcap sales figures to these chumps or something?

Joe Krow

Erudite
Section8 said:
Keep on rockin' in the free <s>world</s> market! Or failure thereof. Did someone leak Popcap sales figures to these chumps or something?
Nah. I think they noticed that the average attention span dropped by another fifty percent or so. It's now slightly shorter then the load time on most games.

As a result, whoring out to action games is now last-gen. Enter Fuckery Phase 2: The RPG/Puzzle game. "Spell six words with these letters to hit." " How many jewels can you line up to do maximum damage?" "Turn this pie chart correctly and the NPC will like you." etc...

Herbert West

Arbiter
This idea of centralized computing with streaming output via internet to clients is ludicrous, if the guy thinks it is to become the mainstream in gaming.
Teh Internets is not a huge fucking LAN or some other exotic network with one server and barebone client terminals. Streaming say.. 1080p60 game content that is to be computed realtime on some distant server farm is just dumb as hell. Does the guy want crappy flash games to become as mainstream as 3d cutting edge titles?? No bloody way with the whole next-gen and HD bandwagon.
Processing AI, physics, 3d graphics and other code on a server farm would require ludicrous investments in them and even more in broadband infrastructure. It would actually take the hardware away from your hands and possibly deprive you of some degree of controll you have on your gaming experience. It would complicate modding. Would it be cheaper for the average consumer? Maybe, but the hardware has to be somewhere and somebody has to pay for it- that somebody are consumers, of course.
I'm a total nay sayer to that idea.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Claw said:
Does that mean in the future I'll be playing Minesweeper on my TV?

Sweeeet! :roll:

WhiskeyWolf said:
In short:
MMO on consoles is the future...
No, this is far worse and incredibly dumb to boot.
I think this is the same.

Mayday

Augur
The situation has reached a point where I find those self proclaimed "game gurus" as much annoying as the politicians in my country.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Mayday said:
The situation has reached a point where I find those self proclaimed "game gurus" as much annoying as the politicians in my country.
Now you are exaggerating a little bit Mayday, no one beyond the Polish border can be that bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom