Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games made you like turn-based combat?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I started playing turn-based games back in my Commodore 64 days. The Bard's Tale games were fun & I really liked SSI's gold-box D&D games like Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc. The Xcom games had good turn-based as well.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Civilisation was probably my first ever PC turn-based game. X-Com: Terror From the Deep was pretty memorable though. I missed the original but got the demo on the front of a gaming mag which I then proceeded to play constantly until I got the full game. Fallout came after that.

Funny. I play most of those old turn-based games still from time to time yet not so much of the real-time games from that era. Could be because there's no decent TB games being released lately.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
Funny. I play most of those old turn-based games still from time to time yet not so much of the real-time games from that era. Could be because there's no decent TB games being released lately.

It's a shame really. There aren't many turn-based games being made these days. The only one that comes to mind at the moment is Age of Decadence. I haven't been following the game very closely at all, but is Jagged Alliance 3 going to be turn-based like its predecessors?

Oarfish

Prophet
Early Julian Gollop games on the specturm - Chaos, Rebelstar Raiders and Laser Squad. Lords of Midnight / Doomdark's revenge helped too.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Die Dunkle Dimension
UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka X-Com: UFO Defense)

Those are the oldes I can thing of. Funny, I played lots of realtime games back then yet somehow developers maintain that realtime is modern. Oh well, we've been over that countless times.

Norfleet

DarkUnderlord said:
This is because turn-based games are not dependent on glitz and graphics. Thus, they tend to remain "ageless" better than the high-graphics games.

Andhaira

Arcane
Too many to mention. I guess part of the reason is I am a slow and methodical thinker (something that causes no end of issues in my daily life!!)

Thats probably why ppl with ADD prefer fps's.

vrok

Liturgist
ADD may not be a positive trait but neither is slow thinker. You don't even use that slow thinking to your advantage, like thinking long and hard about making worthwhile threads. At least ADD kids playing FPSs use their deficiency to their advantage intelligently.

Kraken

Scholar
I always enjoyed the old Civ, Colonization, Master of Magic, MOO etc. But Incubation really set the bar for me. Shame I haven't been able to find that gem again.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
King's bounty, Warlords, Might and Magic III. And then, the ultimate turn based game : UFO.
I wish I could build one of those alien mind-control devices, use it to erase my memory and replay the game over and over. No other game surprised me as much (in a pleasant way that is) as good old X-Com. :cry:

User was nabbed fit

Fallout. And they say that the combat in there sucks... well not for me.

Schauman

Scholar
UFO: Enemy Unknown. The horror, pain and suspence I got out of it still beats in my heart. The loss of Commander Larry Thorne still stings me even today, veteran of the first contact with the alien scum and holder of the kill record went down is such a gory fashion that even Gears of War cries foul. He was wounded like hell and barely alive with medic coming in when lone a Sectoid gets LOS and takes a shot at him with the Blaster Launcher, leaving behind nothing but a smoking crater, his heavy plasma rifle and a pile of red goo.

Yet to see tactics and death like that in realtime games of heal factor X and immortal squads. *sniff*
Hopefully the few and brave TB games that are coming around bring back the good memories.

Vidder

Liturgist
Fat Dragon said:
DarkUnderlord said:

It's a shame really. There aren't many turn-based games being made these days. The only one that comes to mind at the moment is Age of Decadence. I haven't been following the game very closely at all, but is Jagged Alliance 3 going to be turn-based like its predecessors?

You could try the following fine turnbased strategy games:
Fantasy Wars:
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/fantasy-wars/overview

Galactic Assault - Prisoner of Power: (reminds me of the "Battle Isle" - series)
http://www.galacticassault.com/

My first turn based rpg was dragon flight on the amiga. Fun times when turn based was the standard.

Vidder

Liturgist
Kraken said:
I always enjoyed the old Civ, Colonization, Master of Magic, MOO etc. But Incubation really set the bar for me. Shame I haven't been able to find that gem again.

Incubation definately was a cool game. Not only because it was pure tb-goodness, but also for its incredible atmosphere.

Battle Isle: The Andosia War was great too.

Oarfish

Prophet
Steel panthers was a superb game, even if the campaign map generator could be a little quirky.

Jason

chasing a bee
Conflict on the NES. But Fallout was the one that got me searching out other turn-based games.

I haven't been following the game very closely at all, but is Jagged Alliance 3 going to be turn-based like its predecessors?
Yes

Murk

Arcane
I started out on Consoles - Suikoden for PS 1 turned me to the light.

sheek

Arbiter
Probably the Risk board game

Chess and Draughts could probably be viewed as being abstracted combat.

mlc82

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
DarkUnderlord said:

There's plenty of (indie) turn based wargames coming out, just not much other than AOD (and maybe the sequel to Teudogar if it ever appears) on the RPG front. For RPGs, about all we're getting is "Xtreme Next Gen!" bullshit first person shooters with stats. :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom