Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Opinions are like assholes and you're a cunt.

No one's opinion will matter when this stillborn abomination gets sucked into the Chaos Gate for good.

50802c48f7.png

I'm pretty sure it only qualifies as nihilism if he was wrong. Eternal Crusade is going down the same path as other recent multiplayer "successes" like Battleborn.

It's modern nihilism in the sense that opinions don't matter; here's mine.

I've actually played the game on and off since it hit early access and the playerbase has mostly been comprised of the same crowd of hard-core warhammer fanboys. The game won't die that easily, especially not if they keep pumping out updates at a steady rate. Say what you will about the game but you can't deny the fact that they've done more in a year than most early access forever-alphas has done.

Blaine is right about one thing though: It doesn't matter. Whatever happens happens and that's that. I got my 15 bucks worth out of it so I'm happy either way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The barrier to entry for me is the notion of committing hundreds or even thousands of hours to a skill-intensive team shooter that is burdened by numerous problems (foremost being severe balance concerns and connectivity issues), has been panned by critics, and is currently running on a skeleton crew of 300-700 concurrent players.

A few thousand fanboys won't be able to fork over nearly enough of those F2P bux in the long term—and since the game is demonstrably running on vapors, it's reasonable to assume that continued development and improvement of the game will stagnate and grind to a halt. It's one thing to participate in a tiny community that plays an old team or arena shooter on someone's private server (like old-school Tribes), but a development team is suckling on this one's teat, and if the milk dries up they will pull the plug.

A healthy community and new blood coming in on the regular are what look good to me. A game with an ironically literal grim future is extremely off-putting.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
The only reason I would ever consider playing this is solely because 40k and with deathwing out and people STILL playing Space Marine MP I can't see any purpose for this at all.

The barrier to entry for me is the notion of committing hundreds or even thousands of hours to a skill-intensive team shooter that is burdened by numerous problems (foremost being severe balance concerns and connectivity issues), has been panned by critics, and is currently running on a skeleton crew of 300-700 concurrent players.

A few thousand fanboys won't be able to fork over nearly enough of those F2P bux in the long term—and since the game is demonstrably running on vapors, it's reasonable to assume that continued development and improvement of the game will stagnate and grind to a halt. It's one thing to participate in a tiny community that plays an old team or arena shooter on someone's private server (like old-school Tribes), but a development team is suckling on this one's teat, and if the milk dries up they will pull the plug.

A healthy community and new blood coming in on the regular are what look good to me. A game with an ironically literal grim future is extremely off-putting.

All fair concerns which I can relate to and respect. I just hope they manage to work through them because I like the game in general and have been impressed with the amount of work they've put into it since it went into early access. It'll probably crash and burn but there's still the slim hope that something decent will come out of all of this.

We'll find out what happens sooner or later.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The only reason I would ever consider playing this is solely because 40k and with deathwing out and people STILL playing Space Marine MP I can't see any purpose for this at all.
Space Marine MP is stupid netcode with stupid P2P instead of dedicated servers. That puts it bottom of the shitpile, and note I played from launch.

Agrred

I think Eternal Crusade is a step up from the gameplay model used in Space Marine... and the larger maps makes playing a Raptor much more fun. The main problem that the game suffers from now that the netcode has been more or less fixed is that all of the servers are located in the US, which means that eurofags such as myself have to endure pings of 200+ which in turn leads to some rather unfair situations.

Fixing that problem might be the first step towards attracting more people... and lowering the price of course. 50 euro is simply too much for this game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's amusing that a game based on a British IP only has US servers. I couldn't stand to play a competitive shooter at >100ms, and ideally my average ping would be significantly lower than that.

The game should cost $0 if they're selling weapons and equipment in their cash shop, side grades or no. Buy-to-play is only acceptable if purely cosmetic skins are sold for cash, and even then it's a bit cheeky.

You'll be able to get rogue trader credits through playing the game eventually(tm) but yes, I can agree that it's a bit cheeky. The good news is that rogue credit weapons are generally about as good as master crafted stuff that you get out of the requisition boxes so at least it doesn't cross over into the realm of pay to win.

As for the lag issues... well, I've been able to kill enemies quite well and have some really fun melee duels (which are fun as all hell) without too many glaring issues. They're somewhat rare but still annoying though which is why I hope that they get better servers.

Deep down it really is a fun game and the melee system has gotten to a point where it feels rewarding to fight somebody, even if you're a havoc getting ambushed by an assault marine.... it just in dire need of fix to the most glaring issues that it is currently suffering from.

PS. Bringing it out of early access and presenting it as a "finished game" is absolute bullcrap and I don't agree with that decision in the slightest.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Lol I still haven't played this after launch. I burnt myself out playing 'beta' like a year ago. It was fun enough (for better or worse it was about the same playability as launch, over a year ago, except without Eldar of course) but I don't want to go through the same maps again and again. I wonder if/how they fixed melee.

Gerrard

Arcane
Crusaders! In the grim darkness of the far future, war calls for free blood.

We are very excited to introduce a free version of Eternal Crusade, a limited version of the game previously known as Free to Waaagh! We've made several enhancements to our original vision, and are happy to announce the following in our free version:
  • All factions are playable
  • All classes are playable except the Assault class
  • Purchased RTC counts towards upgrading to the full Premium version
  • Progression is 1/3 of the premium version and the remaining progression is banked as you play
  • Banked progression is unleashed when you upgrade
:australia:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is depressing. They could copy Planetside2 , fix major issues and instead of superhuman Space marines use Imperial Guard and Chaos Cultists. People will be happy as ell with it.
Now it's a soulless shit and huge pile of undelivered promises.
1. Huge interconnected map - nope, fuck you, go fight in badly drawn arenas.
2. Fation diplomacy - yeah, because everyone was hyped y the idea Chaos Space Marines fighting alongside loyalists.
3. Buildings and construction - yeah, sure. Oh wait, even planetside 2 eventually did it.
4. Assymetric balance - no, let's just reskin same models.
5. Lore-friendly mechanics - because hundreds of hundreds of dead Space Marines in a mundane fight is extremely lore-friendly.
6. Economy - both rewards and weapons are horrible.

in the end we have session shooter. Bad session shooter. With bad EXTREMELY unoptimised graphics, which can't even compar to Planetside2. And they managed to repeat Planetside2 most spectacular failures. Like spending more time designing cosmetic decals, veteran skins, shouts and other useless shit instead of polishing actual game.

i gave it a spin.
damn, that's some serious shit we have here.
jerky, mechanical, it reminded me of fire warrior, possibly the worst fps ever. it also took ages to load a single pve battle. pve because i couldn't find anywhere the pvp button, all the others were locked behind a paywall.
and an online tutorial? who's the junkie who thought having to queue for a fucking tutorial was a good idea? please die now.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
For a superpowered metahuman in advanced power armor you die as fast in this game as any other generic online shooter. No real strategy besides paying to unlock jump packs and ganking people from behind since every capture point in every map has a 360 degree approach.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
For a superpowered metahuman in advanced power armor you die as fast in this game as any other generic online shooter. No real strategy besides paying to unlock jump packs and ganking people from behind since every capture point in every map has a 360 degree approach.
Wait what is this about unlocking jump packs?!?!

Sounds like the game got worse as it developed, lol, I actually played hundreds of hours in late alpha/early beta and I haven't touched it since. I think I burnt out a few months before Eldar were released. Or maybe even before that, as I stop playing less than a month after they introduced the first "night map" and the first siege map.

Not to mention it was not as easy to die back then, unless you pull a headshot with a Stalker (or Lascannon snipe infantry for the lulz). In fact people were complaining Nurgle guy was too hard to kill, and the scariest thing is a Assault Space Marine shield wall down a hallway. Assaults/Raptors usually died easily because they usually were idiots who would jump with ZERO cohesion into open land covered by Havocs/Devastators. Not to mention they actually gave you an indicator for Jumppack slams, whereas in Relic's Space Marine there was no indicator.

I don't know what they did, but from what you guys said, it looks like they reversed everything from how it used to be. Welp, ironically I won't play this game post-launch because of you guys' impressions, yet I had many hours of precious fun back like a year or two before release.

No, but seriously, what the fuck is with having to unlock classes? They actually had the "pay with real money" prototype store back when I played, and all I remembered were cosmetic items. Reskinned weapons, mostly. Back then I actually had to use my brain to think about what free weapons/consumables I wanted to use.

This is a severe disappointment, given that alpha/beta had the potential to turn into a pretty good game. Squandered potential. This is probably the most ironic payment for a game I've ever done... paying for beta access, enjoying it as if it were a launch game, and then LITERALLY not touching it after launch.

Well, they copy-pastaed Relic's Space Marine (to be specific, Darksiders) mechanics with better maps than from Space Marine, so that's mostly why I enjoyed it way back then.

You know what? I bet the developers suck, and the game was only fun (back then) because they relied a great deal on Relic's mechanics.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So apparently I've played 119 hours of Eternal Crusade, yet the last time I played was in February 2016.

And then I tried it out again in June 2016 to check out the Eldar, and uninstalled it again because they didn't improve on the gameplay at all. (Crappy melee system and performance optimization off the top of my head)

Gerrard

Arcane
For a superpowered metahuman in advanced power armor you die as fast in this game as any other generic online shooter.
This was actually the number one reason I lost interest in this game. They couldn't make the sides balanced while being actually different enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom