Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity At what age do you think you'll finally give up RPG's forever?

How Old Will You Be When You Finally Hang Up Your RPG Cleats?

• I'll stop playing them once I get out of my teens (kingcomrade answer)

• Mid-twenties. RPG's are for nerds who never get laid, you know.

• Probably late twenties. I plan to lead a fairly normal life.

• Mid-thirties. I know it's a little weird but I'll just squeek by and maybe even get married.

• Late thirties. By then my mom's going to be sick of me and kick me out.

• Mid-fourties. My self-loathing is the only thing that will be able to save me by then.

• Late-fourties. Heart failure.

• Never. I'll be into my fifties by then and will have started to see into the ether of eternity.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
I agree you can't spend 30+ hours a week gaming with a career and kids, but it's no worse than TV watching, and women are a lot more willing to tolerate a few nerdy hobbies nowadays.

You said stop. Plenty of people have to cut back gaming once they have kids, but you don't have to stop entirely.

Kahr

Are you kidding me? There will be nothing better than playing games when i'm getting my pension...
You can become an alcoholic, you can insult people and be rude and all that without having to deal with the consequences.
You can play shitty games while your pants are full of shit too.
Thx to :obviously: turn-based games, you will never have to change and it's only getting better.
And of course heart problems and cancer.
:incline:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm on like step 12 of addiction recovery with the occasional relapse. Fortunately for whatever reason whenever I relapse I end up hating games even more so it's becoming less frequent.

Hopefully I'll have purged gaming entirely in the next year but the sooner the better.

Need +willpower boys (that's a little gamer joke for you bros)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started playing computer games (platformers and adventure games) when I was 3 years old and my dad played stuff like Monkey Island with me.

I haven't stopped playing computer games since then, and I'm not ever going to.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I started playing computer games (platformers and adventure games) when I was 3 years old and my dad played stuff like Monkey Island with me.

I haven't stopped playing computer games since then, and I'm not ever going to.
My mom held me as a 1-2 year old with a controller in her hand and Dark Cloud on the TV screen.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I mean, look at it this way. Videogames, and gaming in general, is a freaken HOBBY. What else can they be? And who says a hobby can't last a lifetime? What about those geezers that still play rocknroll and earn lots of money? Is it a better hobby (nay, it's more like a job indeed) than gaming? Is plant growing a better hobby? Are pets better? If you get to a certain age, do you kick your pet out of the house?

Unlike sports, you can do gaming at any age and with any physical disabilities. Only thing you need is a working mind.

Of course, the problem arises when it becomes an ADDICTION. Addictions are bad, granted. But if you still manage to study or work, and use your free time to play, who cares? Who has the right to judge you? Are you better off listening to the unreasonable requests of some bitch and granting her every wish? Because that's what some people would think, but it's not really a good scenario either. Not better, at least.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I'm very picky about the rpgs I play so although I won't give up rpgs I'll probably become less interested in new ones and replay my old favorites. You know like most codexians now.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know... I think it was when I played Dungeon Siege and I realized "I'm really just pointing and clicking."
Then I played DA:O - and too many people liked it. I started thinking, "maybe I'm just getting old."
Then I played Diablo III and it assigned your points for you while I ran around and hit things.
Then I played Skyrim and I said "three stats?"

I'm losing interest as role playing RPG games become first person FPS shooters, cut-scene bloated horrors, romance novels, loaded up with minimal stats which impact nothing, and have mountains of loot raining from the sky.

I'll admit with so many big companies, small companies, and green-light games competing for space, there is a lot to choose from, so maybe my world view focus' on the bad, but not much fascinates me in the genre much anymore. Couldn't even get myself to finish M&M X. The most fun I had in the last year or so was playing Wizardry 8 and I spend as much time bitching at the top of my lungs as I did enjoying myself.

So, in conclusion, I guess I'd be happy to play 80's and 90's rpgs until I die (like playing Ultima 7 for the 10th or so time) but I just can't get it up for new releases anymore.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Of course, the problem arises when it becomes an ADDICTION. Addictions are bad, granted. But if you still manage to study or work, and use your free time to play, who cares? Who has the right to judge you? Are you better off listening to the unreasonable requests of some bitch and granting her every wish? Because that's what some people would think, but it's not really a good scenario either. Not better, at least.

What's with gamers hating on women all the time? Actually nevermind I know the reason..

My problem is that games (Rpgs in particular) are really designed to appeal to 14-20 year old people and they don't offer anything stimulating for a developed adult. It's like being 35 years old and reading Harry Potter books.

Heretic

Cipher
I don't know... I think it was when I played Dungeon Siege and I realized "I'm really just pointing and clicking."
Then I played DA:O - and too many people liked it. I started thinking, "maybe I'm just getting old."
Then I played Diablo III and it assigned your points for you while I ran around and hit things.
Then I played Skyrim and I said "three stats?"

I'm losing interest as role playing RPG games become first person FPS shooters, cut-scene bloated horrors, romance novels, loaded up with minimal stats which impact nothing, and have mountains of loot raining from the sky.

I'll admit with so many big companies, small companies, and green-light games competing for space, there is a lot to choose from, so maybe my world view focus' on the bad, but not much fascinates me in the genre much anymore. Couldn't even get myself to finish M&M X. The most fun I had in the last year or so was playing Wizardry 8 and I spend as much time bitching at the top of my lungs as I did enjoying myself.

So, in conclusion, I guess I'd be happy to play 80's and 90's rpgs until I die (like playing Ultima 7 for the 10th or so time) but I just can't get it up for new releases anymore.
Stop playing regurgitated shit, moron(*). If you want your stats to matter, play AoD, Underrail or The Dwarf Run. It's not like anyone talks about these games here, I know.

(*) Meant in an endearing way, you idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom