Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ** EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE ** DOOM PC SPEAKER ON CX486DX280 ** EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE **

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Add voiced commentary to your channel and start streaming to, you can make decent dosh and since your kinda edgy you'll be very popular with kids these days. You may be thinking kids don't like retro and the types of people who watch that kind of media are a small niche., That is true but theirs many young millennials such as myself willing to watch ravings of a baby boomer. you are the kind of people that introduced me to RPG's and Strategy games.
How many minutes are left until jcd bites the dust?
Is that a JoJo reference?

Cadmus

Arcane
oh shit now I realize I played the game like this and thats why now when I see it with real sound it makes no sense!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I had a Cyrix 166+. I remember all the gaming magazines saying it was the best deal I could ever make. I thought I was so smart, thinking I was having the best deal of my life.

For fuck sake. You should have seen my face when I replaced my Voodoo1 with a brand new Voodoo2 and gained 0 FPS because of that shitty CPU.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane

I had a Cyrix 166+. I remember all the gaming magazines saying it was the best deal I could ever make. I thought I was so smart, thinking I was having the best deal of my wife.

For fuck sake. You should have seen my face when I replaced my Voodoo1 with a brand new Voodoo2 and gained 0 FPS because of that shitty CPU.

Those Cyrix CPUs had terrible FPU performance too so in reality they were not suited to play 3D games like Quake.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I had a Cyrix 166+. I remember all the gaming magazines saying it was the best deal I could ever make. I thought I was so smart, thinking I was having the best deal of my wife.

Those Cyrix CPUs had terrible FPU performance too so in reality they were not suited to play 3D games like Quake.

Thankfully, there wasn't much of a performance problem on both Q1 & Q2. More graphical intensives games, however, well...
The Cyrix 166+ was also the machine I had that crashed the most. I remember buying FF7 and waiting six months to be able to play it, because it required a patch.

Fun fact: Cyrix 6x86 CPUs were recognized by the system as a 486, which led to other problems that could only be worked around with a "Pentium Emulator" (a .COM file that lied to apps that checked what kind of CPU you had)

Still, I had a lot of fun with it. Duke 3D, Q1&2, Tomb Raider, Pod, Diablo, Daggerfall, Baldur's Gate, Fallout , Starcraft, were all games I discovered on this shitty computer.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Thankfully, there wasn't much of a performance problem on both Q1 & Q2. More graphical intensives games, however, well...
The Cyrix 166+ was also the machine I had that crashed the most. I remember buying FF7 and waiting six months to be able to play it, because it required a patch.

Fun fact: Cyrix 6x86 CPUs were recognized by the system as a 486, which led to other problems that could only be worked around with a "Pentium Emulator" (a .COM file that lied to apps that checked what kind of CPU you had)

Still, I had a lot of fun with it. Duke 3D, Q1&2, Tomb Raider, Pod, Diablo, Daggerfall, Baldur's Gate, Fallout , Starcraft, were all games I discovered on this shitty computer.
We are the priests of the Temples of Cyrix
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls

Pretty sure one of dad's first comps had pc speaker, I remember playing Doom in... 1996, 1997 I think, and those sounds are very familiar.
I also remember I always got stuck in Doom2 M2 because of that part where you have to get the red key. I didn't know fast run was a thing, and there was no jumping, so I could never get to the other side.

I think I or my brother eventually figured out how to get there by 1999 or 2000 I think. By then I had finished the first Doom, tho I have no idea how we had a full copy back then, because I remember me being stuck with the shareware for a while in the early 2000s until I figured out that pirating was a thing. I also remember finishing Heretic at the time, too. Good times, how little I knew of things back then, everything was so new lol. Good times.

When I pirated, I remember thinking "Hey, the game sounds different from what I remember".

Also, I thought "Doom 95" was a new game. Lets just say kid TBS was kinda disappointed when my brother downloaded it for me and it was just Doom ported to Windows 95.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom